- IONS Events
- Conscious Living Workshops
- EarthRise Community Events
- Hosted Programs
- IONS Conference
The Art of Leadership
Transformative Personal Leadership Development for Nonprofits and Social Changemakers
Monday, May 5, 2014, 3:00 PM
Friday, May 9, 2014, 1:00 PM (All times are local to the event.)
- Rockwood Leadership Institute
101 San Antonio Rd
Petaluma CA 94952
See a map
The Art of Leadership is:
- A five-day intensive residential retreat that teaches powerful visioning, listening, speaking, presentation, team-building, and feedback skills to emerging and established social change leaders.
- Taught in an intimate learning community limited to 24-30 emerging and longtime leaders who are working across a wide range of issues (e.g., climate change, human and civil rights, arts and cultural work).
- Led by nationally recognized thinkers, educators, and activists who are experts at sharing in-depth insights and innovative leadership practices.
After the Art of Leadership Training, you can expect to:
- Articulate an inspiring and clear vision for your work
- Deal more effectively with organizational and leadership challenges
- Skillfully manage relationships to increase personal and organizational effectiveness
- Build strong partnerships inside and outside your organization and community
The Training Curriculum includes:
- Inner Reflection - Many social change leaders are so focused on their organizations that they do not have space to reflect on their own needs as a leader. The Art of Leadership offers leaders time and reflective space to examine their strengths and challenges.
- Practical Tools - Over the course of five days, leaders engage in hands-on practice in planning, public speaking, stress-management practices, and courageous conversations. Leaders receive a personalized 360 degree leadership assessment to help set leadership performance goals.
- Powerful Community – The training convenes 24-30 leaders working in different organizations and issue areas. The Art of Leadership fosters learning partnerships through pair and small group work, and post-retreat peer support.
Deadline to Apply: Mar 24, 2014
- Program Tuition: Sliding scale fee based on your organization’s budget
- Room and Board: $750
“Rockwood has been an invaluable and transformative experience which has increased and reconfigured my spiritual foundation and enhanced my overall management vision. Inspired by the lessons learned, our entire organization has been powerfully changed." ~ Barbara Arnwine, President and Executive Director, Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
“I’m actually more joyful as a result of Rockwood—I’ve never been able to say that about a leadership training program!” ~ Surina Khan, Ford Foundation
"I believe that I now have a greater capacity to learn from my allies and from my adversaries." ~ Tzeporah Berman, ForestEthics
Rockwood Leadership Institute was founded in 2000 to provide individuals, organizations, and networks in the social benefit sector with powerful and effective training in leadership and collaboration. Rockwood teaches skills and tools to help social change leaders overcome organizational challenges; inspire and align individuals and organizations toward producing quality outcomes; develop collaborative skills; decrease burnout; and create organizations that celebrate sustainability and diversity. Its network of over 4,500 alumni makes it the nation's largest provider of multi-day, transformative leadership trainings for social change nonprofit and philanthropic organizations.