Conscious Aging Workshops
Conscious Aging Workshops
People assume that the solutions we’re seeking come from outside ourselves, but it’s important to recognize that some of the problems—as well as their solutions—arise from within us. In other words, it’s about consciousness. The focus of the Conscious Aging workshop series is to invite shifts in consciousness away from self-limitation, lack, isolation, and fear and toward expansiveness, inclusiveness, wholeness, connection, and compassion.
The Conscious Aging Workshop Experience
Facilitators guide workshop participants as they:
Explore their unexamined, self-limiting beliefs and assumptions about aging and learn to make better choices about how to age more consciously;
Develop the skills of self-compassion to cope more effectively with the stresses associated with aging;
Discover what has given heart and meaning to their lives and how that can enrich their intentions for a healthy aging process;
Identify the regrets, sufferings, and negative self-concepts that have kept them from more fully appreciating themselves and their lives;
Minimize any feelings of isolation from others and deepen their relationship with the world around them;
Learn to manage their fears and those of their loved ones in the presence of death through the transformative power of surrender and acceptance; and
- Cultivate a personal roadmap for their own aging journey by deepening their spiritual life and learning to make each moment matter.
We have found that seniors are yearning to engage in dialogue together on these issues. They are looking for guidance, meaning making, connection, and community to help fortify themselves for their aging years. They will experience all of that and more by participating in this unique program.
Key Components of Conscious Aging Workshops
To help foster growth, connection, and learning, each Conscious Aging workshop session features an interplay of activities that includes listening to one's inner wisdom and guidance, integrating inspirational ideas and best practices, sharing in intimate conversation circles, and harvesting the collective wisdom of the group.
Inner Guidance: We provide opportunities for participants to tap into their own inner guidance and wisdom, and bring hidden beliefs and assumptions into conscious awareness. Research shows that reflection tools can improve our psychological and biological well-being. These activities help shift attention from external to internal forces.
Inspirational Ideas: We present inspirational ideas from trusted sources that help to seed learning and spark new understanding. Key ideas are followed by questions designed to encourage reflection and self-discovery, prompting a shift in focus from outer to inner authority.
Collective Wisdom: These activities help the group listen to one another’s insights, perceive patterns, connect diverse perspectives, and experience a sense of wholeness and community.
Conversation Circles: The workshop is designed to be a receptive space of deep listening and speaking from the heart. The goal is to draw out what truly has meaning and to bring that forward via thoughtful speaking and listening. This is facilitated by creating small groups of no more than three to four participants. These small groups are conducive to intimate conversation and allow time for each participant to share thoughts and ideas, regardless of how many participants are in the larger group.
How can I become an approved Conscious Aging Facilitator?
- Step 1: Purchase the self-paced Conscious Aging Facilitator Training Program
- Step 2: Complete the self-study activities in the Workbook and then read the Facilitator's Guide
- Step 3: Participate in optional monthly teleconferences (the second Tuesday of the month, 4-5 pm Pacific Time) and/or listen to recordings of prior teleconferences on the website
- Step 4: Complete the online test and receive your completion certificate
What can I do as an approved Conscious Aging Facilitator?
- Use the tools and resources provided in the Guide to set up a workshop series in your local area and start to improve the lives of seniors while making supplementary income. You can set up a private group on your own or collaborate with your local church, senior center, retirement community or university.
- List your name and contact information on the IONS website as a Conscious Aging Facilitator Program Graduate
- Attend the Conscious Aging Facilitator 2 Day Training in July 2015 prior to IONS 16th International Conference outside of Chicago.
The Conscious Aging program is based in part on the research and practices described in two of IONS' seminal books:
Consciousness and Healing: Integral Approaches to Mind-Body Medicine, a collection of 47 essays on integral medicine, consciousness, and healing that integrates mainstream medical knowledge with recent developments in the emerging areas of frontier sciences and insights from alternative healing perspectives.
Living Deeply: The Art and Science of Transformation in Everyday Life by Marilyn Schlitz, PhD, Cassandra Vieten, PhD, and Tina Amorok, PsyD, the product of IONS’ decade-long investigation into transformations in human consciousness.
Contact Us for More Information about Conscious Aging
If you have questions about the Conscious Aging Facilitator Program, please contact
Mollie Robertson at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 707-779-8225.