Discussions

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Posted Aug. 13, 2014 by NoetPoet in Open

Anonymous Icon

commented on Aug. 17, 2014
by SufferingServant

Narcissism is something that people should always be on the look out for in both themselves and anothers, especially when it comes to pursuits like science and spirituality. Unfortunately narcissism tends to run rife in "spiritual" circles, particularly in New Age culture, as this excellent article explains:

"Narcissistic Leaders and their Manipulation in Group Dynamics"
( http://www.energeticsinstitute.com.au/page/narcissistic_group_dynamics.html )

Here's another interesting article from an ex-FBI agent who talks about his experiences dealing with cult leaders and the narcissistic traits they tend to exhibit: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/spycatcher/201208/dangerous-cult-leaders

This article (http://psychcentral.com/disorders/narcissistic-personality-disorder-symptoms/ ) outlines the key symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

"In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:

* Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
* Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
* Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
* Requires excessive admiration
* Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
*Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
*Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
*Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
*Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes"

Could you or someone you know have Narcissistic Personality Disorder? The free online Narcissistic Personality Quiz can give you a good indication: http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm

• 12 Comments  
  • Anonymous Icon

SufferingServant Aug 17, 2014

Ah, still, you misunderstand kind sir.

I do not feel suffering. I have a glowing fire of unending, supreme, relentless love in my heart. For you (no homo, lol)

I have forgiven my abuser. I realize that he has abused me only because he was abused. He has already paid the price.

I could answer all of your objections.. But why? I sense the force is strong with this one! But am I wasting your time?

Anyways, to provide evidence is to explain the entire nature of our minds and of reality in the fullest. It's not instant. It's a journey. It's a book - not it's cover.

I am in fact working on a book that explains everything, logically, in plain and simple language. It's difficult to do alone though, I must admit. I have to take on all of the roles. I am alone.

• NoetPoet Aug 17, 2014

EDIT: against *irrationality*

• NoetPoet Aug 17, 2014

“Satan is not a single person. It is who 'we' are when we serve our own interest. Oddly, Satan is of our own creation. “

The implication here though that serving our own interest is necessarily a bad (i.e. Satanic) thing. I do not agree with this at all.

“For instance, what is your motivation to learn? Me, I learn so that I may have an improved capacity to serve others. “

Well I learn for that reason to, and for the pleasure of learning.

“Are you truly happy?”

Is anyone? Are you? What is “happiness”? Is it necessarily a good thing?

“Do you feel fulfilled?”

As fulfilled as the next person.

“What is your goal in life?”

Since when am I required to have a particular “goal” in life?

“Why is it you do whatever it is you do?”

Because of my conditioning.

“Lastly, why do you think I am motivated to even come to this forum and argue against irrationality in the first place?”

Because of your conditioning. Not so sure you’re arguing *against* rationality though…

“Especially geniuses - They tend to not care if others learn squat, unless they benefit from it.“

What evidence do you have for this claim?

“I may be the most intelligent + intuitive person on the planet, or I may not be. “

I’d be very surprised if you were…

“My life has been very lonely - I am 25 and was molested (not sodomized - it was by an older cousin who was trying to show me love in their own warped way based on the fact they believed sex=happiness=love because it 'feels good') at age 4.”

I am very sorry to hear that. I hope you realize that what happened to you was in no way your fault. No one should ever have to be the victim of such a despicable act, especially a child. There is no excuse for what your cousin did, and I sincerely hope that they were tried and punished to the full extent of the law. I also hope that you are getting psychological therapy to help you deal with that experience, and if you haven’t sought therapy then you really should.

“I can program my own mind - I only store 'necessary' memories.”

Do you consider the memories of your molestation necessary?

“I can freely think - I can discover new things just by thinking about what I already know and connecting the dots. “

You might *think* you can, but thus far I have not seen any evidence that this is actually so.

• Anonymous Icon

You misunderstand, sir!

Satan is not a single person. It is who 'we' are when we serve our own interest. Oddly, Satan is of our own creation.

To clarify on 'selfish' it is 'serving your self interest'. For instance, what is your motivation to learn? Me, I learn so that I may have an improved capacity to serve others.

Let me ask you these questions, if you'll allow me:

Are you truly happy?
    Do you feel fulfilled?
    What is your goal in life?
    Why is it you do whatever it is you do?
    Lastly, why do you think I am motivated to even come to this forum and argue against irrationality in the first place?

Most people would simply avoid arguing against irrationality. It's a battle people feel they cannot win.

Especially geniuses - They tend to not care if others learn squat, unless they benefit from it. Example - most geniuses focus on their work, and so they are financially rewarded for delivering value via their work to the masses.

I may be the most intelligent + intuitive person on the planet, or I may not be.

My life has been very lonely - I am 25 and was molested (not sodomized - it was by an older cousin who was trying to show me love in their own warped way based on the fact they believed sex=happiness=love because it 'feels good') at age 4.

I've lived in suffering for 21 years. Noone has ever understood me, and so I turned inwards and lived there - similar to autism. My thoughts are near instantaneous, similiar to ADD in a' hyper focused state'. I can meditate while I'm awake and doing other things. I meditate while I'm reading - I'm even meditating in this moment. I can program my own mind - I only store 'necessary' memories. I can shut down my senses and make them weaker because they are a waste of space (I don't really smell anything except the most pungent of odors or amazing smells). I have optimized my memory, and outsource it to machines (email, Google).

I can freely think - I can discover new things just by thinking about what I already know and connecting the dots.

Wouldn't you like to do that to?

• NoetPoet Aug 17, 2014

"Satan - in the form of selfishness. Right now, you sir are in fact the embodiment of Satan."

Well that's a new one. I've had alot of nasty ad hominems thrown at me on this forum, but no one's ever accused me of being the Prince of Darkness! And here I was thinking that you might be at least a tad more reasonable than some of the other self-appointed prophets around here. Silly me!

Pray tell, how am I selfish? Is it because I question, critique and think for myself rather than immediately bowing down to your "wisdom"? You might want to consider the possibility that you are projecting here...

• Anonymous Icon

No need to guess.

Please allow me to clearly explain it to you:

Satan - in the form of selfishness. Right now, you sir are in fact the embodiment of Satan. Or, at the bare minimum, you are playing the role of Satan's Advocate.

• NoetPoet Aug 17, 2014

"Unfortunately I cannot delay the end result of chain reactions, completion of my mission, in in order to defeat every narcissistist along the way. And so, I will leave you be on that note."

There is, however, one narcissist that you probably will have to defeat in order to "complete your mission." Can you guess who it might be?

• Anonymous Icon

Unfortunately I cannot delay the end result of chain reactions, completion of my mission, in in order to defeat every narcissistist along the way. And so, I will leave you be on that note.

P. S. I haven't ever heard of that guy, but sounds like an interesting fellow.

• NoetPoet Aug 16, 2014

"No."

So you don't understand that you are paraphrasing a quote from George Orwell's Animal Farm, and that that particular quote was meant by Orwell to be tongue-in-cheek?

"It's when people believe they fully comprehend or embody 'the Ultimate truth' that they develop narcissism. If you know there is still more to learn and you're still a student, you are not narcissistic."

Narcissism doesn't necessarily require that a person thinks they are perfect, all it requires is that they think that they are better or more worthy than anyone other person. A narcissistic person will be just as convinced that they are "more partially true" as any genuine person. Narcissists are also more than capable of knowing that there is still more to learn; if they weren't, they wouldn't consistently rise to the highest levels of leadership in society.

• Anonymous Icon

SufferingServant Aug 16, 2014

No. Read the other thread with the 'Ultimate Truth'. Noone can 'be' the Ultimate Truth. They can see it, and express it via partial-truths. They cannot fully comprehend it, and so if someone is 'more partially-true' they are not very likely to be arrogant. It's when people believe they fully comprehend or embody 'the Ultimate truth' that they develop narcissism. If you know there is still more to learn and you're still a student, you are not narcissistic.

The exception being when someone believes in a half-truths is a partial truth. That is where debate and scientific process can dispel lies, separating truths from lies that come in the form of half-truth

• NoetPoet Aug 15, 2014

"Some people are more 'partially true' than others."

Are you being ironic here? Saying that some people are more 'partially true' than others still leaves the door wide open to narcissism: instead of saying "I'm right and you're wrong", the narcissist would just say "I'm more right than you" or "no one is more right than me".

• Anonymous Icon

SufferingServant Aug 15, 2014

Narcissism is a lie based distortion of a partially true 'half' truth. It is when someone believes they are 'the Ultimate Truth', and the fact is we are and can never be the 'Ultimate Truth'; we can only be more partially-true.

The solution to Narcissism is the realization you are only and always will be only 'partially true'. Some people are more 'partially true' than others.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS