Discussions

Lucid dreaming induced by electric scalp stimulation

Posted May 12, 2014 by NoetPoet in Open

Anonymous Icon

commented on Dec. 5, 2014
by dustproduction

From http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/11/lucid-dreaming-electric-scalp-stimulation-study

"'The key finding is that you can, surprisingly, by scalp stimulation, influence the brain. And you can influence the brain in such a way that a sleeper, a dreamer, becomes aware that he is dreaming,' said Professor J Allan Hobson, from Harvard Medical School, who co-authored the paper published in Nature Neuroscience.

"Previous research, led by Dr Ursula Voss of Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University in Germany, suggests lucid dreaming is a unique state that displays aspects of both REM-sleep – the stage of sleep in which most of our dreams occur – and waking. By examining the sleepers' brainwaves over a range of frequencies, scientists have found that lucid dreamers demonstrate a shift towards a more "awake-like" state in the frontal and temporal parts of the brain, with the peak in increased activity occurring around 40Hz.

"'Lucid dreaming is a very good tool to observe what happens in the brain and what is causally necessary for secondary consciousness,'" Voss said.

''Hobson said the study could have implications in psychiatric research. 'As a model for mental illness, understanding lucid dreaming is absolutely crucial. I would be cautious about interpreting the results as of direct relevance to the treatment of medical illnesses, but [it's] certainly a step in the direction of understanding how the brain manages to hallucinate and be deluded.'"

"The authors suggest triggering lucid dreaming in sleepers might enable them to control nightmares, for example in those suffering with post-traumatic stress disorder."

• 4 Comments  
  • Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Dec 05, 2014

When a recent question was asked about lucid dreaming this discussion and the research mentioned was certain not referenced.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction May 20, 2014

Lucid dreaming is exciting not only for dreamers but also for neuroscientists, who consider it a window into the study of consciousness. But until now, researchers have been hampered by how hard it is to provoke lucid dreaming in people who don't do it naturally.

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nn.3719.html

• NoetPoet May 12, 2014

So it sounds like you're unusually prone to hallucination-type states of mind. Why am I not surprised.

Care to provide a link to information about medically documented cases of "superConsciousness"?

• Anonymous Icon

RealityOverScience May 12, 2014

Saw your thread title and immediately visualized Lucy giving Ricky that plunger-like massage on his head, when he was worried he was losing his hair! (I Love Lucy)

I have never been much of a sleeper my whole life, which seems to run in my family. Decades ago I could sleep for 15 minutes and be totally refreshed. Tested and medically approved. They agreed it was due to my superConsciousness (because I process life multidimensionally and resolve my own distractions/analogies, similar to a writing program that systematically "Save"s what is written, as it is written, whereas for others sleep provides that essential physiological attempt at restoring the day's activities toward balance.

I almost always realize that I'm dreaming, while I'm dreaming, often able to choose to continue my dreaming if I'm really interested in doing that, and I am often awake and asleep and dreaming at the same time. I can be totally engrossed in whatever adventure I'm having in my dream, all the while I am simultaneously awake, eyes open, and totally attentive to my environment. It's an incredibly fascinating experience.

It's a reflection of having to live in a world structured by conventional rules and understanding, all the while I am totally Awake to the physics involved in what convention is doing vs what the Universe is doing.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS