Discussions

Cain and Abel:an interpretation

Posted Dec. 6, 2013 by frequencytuner in Open

commented on Dec. 7, 2013
by frequencytuner

Depending on your source, the actual story varies, but by analyzing each story like a witness account a clearer picture emerges. Quite simply, these two brother represent not only humanity's stewardship to the earth, but also to the inherent nature within each of us. For those unfamiliar with the story, I will paraphrase it:

Adam and Eve had 2 sons, first Cain and then Abel. Cain was a farmer and Abel was a shepherd. Abel was wiser, stronger and more successful than Cain, and Abel had respect and 'fear' for the Lord and would not raise his hand against his mother or his brother. Cain was jealous and spiteful because Abel's respect and reverence were rewarded. When they made offerings, Abel offered his fattest lamb, while Cain offered his worst Corn. The Lord refused Cain's offering but accepted Abel's. Cain was given the opportunity to provide a better offering and warned of his growing spite and reminded that for his offering to be better he had to conquer the jealousy inside himself. Cain instead devised a plot and murdered his brother in cold blood. When it was discovered what Cain had done, the Lord cursed him immortality and to witness the good and bad deeds of mankind from earth (in some accounts and the moon in others). The saying "Am I my brother's keeper?" implies "how should I know where he is" - while knowing 'I killed him and don't want to get caught so I'll play dumb'.

This story reminds us of that the 'devil' lurks with each of us, as part of us, and it is an individual effort to defeat him or succumb to hatred, envy, jealousy etc. and do harm to another human or the earth and essentially kill your own flesh and be forever stained with that blood.

What else does this story say to us?

• 4 Comments  
  • frequencytuner Dec 07, 2013

Thank you Dust. You as well. Always a pleasure.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Dec 07, 2013

In a probabilistic manner, we might question the relevance the entire Biblical narrative for further this goal. Or even if the Pentateuch provides for this goal, though it might.
    Later Christian dogma seems to lose sight of this as an objective.

Nice commenting.

• frequencytuner Dec 07, 2013

The flaw is quite simple and you are staring directly at it with your mind's eye: Free will. Free will allows the creation of contrast. He never corrected it, true, because we are not correcting it within ourselves: it is us. Without summer, there would no winter, without night there would be no day, without Cain there would be no Abel. Heaven and Hell, even the concept of "God" and "Devil" are later creations to define these abstract contrasting concepts that describe the nature of existence.

By obtaining this 'sin' from their parents is to point out the way DNA is passed from parent to offspring causing the species to evolve. In one version of the story, the punishment is detailed that Cain is forced to reside within the moon and bear witness to all the goodness and wickedness of mankind and if any human practices wickedness Cain will be caused to bleed and suffer for it. Cain therefore represents the option to be selfish, greedy, envious, lustful, spiteful etc. and act in self interest for self satisfaction, self preservation and pleasure. It is to stray from the blameless purity and Love that is represented by Abel. This option is always there and this option is what is called the "devil": think about it: The devil tempted Jesus: Jesus thought about his own self-interest. The Buddha was tempted by Maya, the illusion.

To refer back to "original sin", we can perceive that it is by acknowledging the existence of this other option that is NOT love and unity: hence the tree of knowledge the represents the dual nature of existence. Once you experience something you cannot undo it. Once you make a choice and act upon it, you cannot revert back. The catch is this, in order to experience something, there must be contrast, otherwise there is unity and Love and no concept of conscious experience. The goal in this life is to consciously become aware of this and bring that love and unity into conscious experience by intentionally choosing it. If you look in a mirror in the dark you see nothing, but shed some light - consciousness - on the mirror and you will see your reflection staring back. Whether you are smiling or frowning into that mirror is up to you.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Dec 07, 2013

Re: This story reminds us of that the 'devil' lurks with each of us,

How can this be concluded? Abel was blameless and gains Gods blessing. It can be argued that children of Adam and Eve obtained "original sin" via the parents, much in the way Cain's children are curse for the act of the father. It is curious the there is no indiction of a haevn or a hell in these early tales, and that God's punishment does not seem to fit the crime. The story must be a metaphor whose deeper meaning is lose, at least on me.
    Putting this into perceptive, God sees the world as wicked and destroy it in the Great Flood, leaving only Noah and his family. Even then the world turns wicked a second time. One would think that there is a flaw with God's creates that He never corrected.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS