Discussions

A study on Breatharians.

Posted Feb. 6, 2013 by Ivan11 in Open

Anonymous Icon

commented on March 5, 2013
by dustproduction

Does anyone know if the IONS would consider doing a study on people who live on Prana? People who have trained their minds/bodies to no longer need to consume food as a source of energy but to use the energy that is already being generated by the energy field? These people are also known as Breatharians.

-Ivan

• 9 Comments  
  • Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Mar 05, 2013

What is the suggestion here, why is this worth studying?
    Is it a lost art, where did it come from?
    More importantly, how does it relate to our purpose here, if we have one?

• frequencytuner Feb 27, 2013

If placebos exist, the answer is obvious: it is not a physical or material reality, but likened to humans evolving gills.

• Ivan11 Feb 19, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcR_wsb4XEA <------This video shows that there have been studies done. I don't think the rarity of this phenomenon should discourage us from studying it, especially when if it can be taught to other people in preparation for a possible food crisis.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Feb 14, 2013

This is the case with most metaphysical practices, that they are rare and difficult to do, if at all.
    This is what makes them impossible to study.

• Ashok Malhotra Feb 12, 2013

It seems that this is a rare yogic feat. The ancient text on yoga by Patanjali (yog Darshan) describes how this may be achieved in Chapter 3 Verse 30. His yogic practices are very very difficult to achieve but I believe in them because from personal experience I have experienced some other magical results described in the same text by considerable practice but only on rare occasions, They require considerable control of the mind, body and breathing and it is not possible for most, most of the times to do that.

• Ivan11 Feb 12, 2013

Well i really kept it pretty simple and to point in my first message. It was just a question I was hoping someone within the organization had an answer to: Would IONS consider doing a study on people who have mastered Inedia... the ability to live without food.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Feb 11, 2013

Yes this background information is from Wikipedia. You really didn't provide much information.
    So what is the point behind this. Enlighten us.

• Ivan11 Feb 09, 2013

Thanks for the response. It kind of sounds like you picked this information off of wikipedia, no? There are some individuals that claim to live on light that you can find online. I think a study on them should be something we should start thinking about. I am personally transitioning into liquidarianism and see myself living on light in the near future. I am seeing more and more of these people popping up and I think this is a phenomenon that we shouldn't be ignored.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Feb 06, 2013

Breatharianism is a related concept, in which believers claim food and possibly water are not necessary, and that humans can be sustained solely by prana (the vital life force in Hinduism), or, according to some, by the energy in sunlight (according to Ayurveda, sunlight is one of the main sources of prana). The terms breatharianism or inedia may also refer to this philosophy practised as a lifestyle in place of the usual diet.
    The consensus of the scientific community is that "breatharianism" is potentially lethal pseudoscience, and indeed several adherents of these practices have died from starvation.
    Nutritional science indicates that fasting for extended periods leads to starvation, dehydration, and eventual death. In the absence of calorie intake, the body normally burns its own reserves of glycogen, body fat, and muscle. Breatharians claim that their bodies do not consume these reserves while fasting.[4]
    Few breatharians have submitted themselves to medical testing; of those that have, including a hospital's observation of an Indian mystic surviving without food or water for 15 days,[5] none have undergone peer review with results independently reproduced.[6] In a handful of documented cases, individuals attempting breatharian fasting have died,[1][2][3] and among the claims investigated by the Indian Rationalist Association, all were found to be fraudulent.[7]

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS