Discussions

Positive Fear

Posted Oct. 16, 2012 by mrmathew1963 in Open

commented on Jan. 24, 2013
by Jeanine Broderick

Positive Fear: There’s been a lot of talk about fear being negative thing but in actual fact if it wasn’t for fear none of us would be here to talk about things like fear, the human race just wouldn’t exist anymore.

Example: If we didn’t have fear in letting go with the entire nuclear arsenal at each other I’m sure I wouldn’t be here & if we didn’t have fear of Hitler & alike trying to dominate the world I’m sure most of us wouldn’t be here. What about fear of dangerous animals or even other people, I’m sure I’m not going to be fearless of them unless I can handle them. All this & a lot more is positive fear, if we didn’t, as humans, fear certain things at times we would be possibly dead as illustrated.

Now this can’t refer to spiritualism as well? Why not, we are after all human still!!! Some would say bring it on spiritually thinking there can’t be anything to fear from spirituality, the skies the limit, what could possibly happen to the us except good? Individually if one wants to be unfearful of brining it on & if one doesn’t want to be a part of the human race any longer, no I can’t see a problem but holistically as a species I can.

I can’t personally see anything wrong with the human race except it’s floundering, it seems to have lost direction because of the mess we have all got the world in, there are no immediate answers & that scares the hell out of us & the only answer that some of us have is bring it on spiritually no matter what.

Our holistic spiritual soul growth through all our lives is in stages & the same goes in human history, it has been built in stages through changes in conscious understanding at certain points in human history like form the Bronze Age to the Iron Age. We keep coming back in different lives to experience different stages in human history, I think if we miss one of these stages our soul is less aware to someone who has gone through all the stages, but what some are talking about now is bypassing the soul experiences & going straight to full enlightenment which will make human existence null & void, we would have gone through all of human existence for nothing. Why didn’t we do this in the first place if it was a better way to go instead of going through all that aggression & chaos?

The Easterners have known about spiritual enlightenment way before westerners so why haven’t they ascended? For the good reason it’s not individual but a holistic stage of awareness that has boundaries otherwise all the Easterners would be ascended. Individually one can ascend to full enlightenment but you would no longer be human so what was the point in the first place?

Love
Mathew

• 16 Comments  
  • Jeanine Broderick Jan 24, 2013

You are right about fear--wrong re: no immediate answers.

We are not our bodies. We inhabit our bodies but not all of our focus is in
    our body. We are much more than our bodies.

When we are in a body we have two perspectives. The perspective of the
    whole of us (which is comprised of the energy of Love) has a perspective that
    always & only comes from the perspective of Love. (Whole Self)

The human perspective can be in alignment with the perspective of the part of us that is not focused in a body or not. (Human Self) We have free will to determine our actions and decide how to perceive things (although filters in our brains--largely influenced by beliefs, expectation, emotional stance & focus) impact perception; we are
    capable of consciously adjusting our filters.

Every thought we (Human Self) think receives feedback telling us if we are
    thinking in alignment with our Whole Self. If we are in alignment we have
    emotions like Love, Awe, Interest, Passion, Enthusiasm, Appreciation, etc.
    The less in alignment with the Whole Self our Human Self thoughts are--the
    worse we feel.

The bad feeling emotions ARE NOT PUNISHMENT for thinking from a
    different perspective. They are guidance just like the good feeling emotions
    are guidance.

The guidance is to let us know what thoughts are leading us where we want to go & which are moving away from where we want to go.

Where we want to go is our decision--but remember the basis of who we are is love. Listening to & following our emotional guidance leads us to our greatest achievements.
    The feedback system was designed as emotions because we can feel
    emotions even as we think and speak so we can receive the communication
    (guidance) from our Whole Self even when our brains are engaged and
    focused elsewhere.
    Understanding our brains are not storage devices but sending &
    receiving towers is an important aspect of the full understanding.
    An individual can play around with the emotional guidance--it is easy to do
    and one can come to KNOW with certainty that it works.

If we just do not train children away from their emotional guidance but
    reinforce its value & their understanding of it we will have a world far
    better than most can imagine in a generation or two.
    I have a white paper I am happy to share. It describes the link between
    behavior & emotional state. Socially undesired behaviors--violent acts, for example--would be greatly reduced if we truly understood the impact of emotions and adjusted
    the way society responds using the knowledge. Many of our current socially
    acceptable responses are counter productive to our end goals of a
    harmonious and loving society.
    ♡ Jeanine

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Jan 06, 2013

http://www.ted.com/talks/karen_thompson_walker_what_fear_can_teach_us.html

There are two different components to fear that we might explore.
    As Daniel Kahneman informs us, we are an experiencing self and a remembering self, and it is this remembering self that is problematic for us. It is memory that participates in the projection of imaged fears.

"By way of projections to cortical areas the amygdala can influence the operation
    of perceptual and short-term memory processes, as well as processes in higher order areas. Although the amygdala does not have extensive connections with the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, it does communicate with the anterior cingulate and orbital cortex, two other components of the working memory network. But in addition,
    the amygdala projects to nonspecific systems involved in the regulation of cortical arousal and controls bodily responses (behavioral, autonomic, endocrine), which
    then provide feedback that can influence cortical processing indirectly. Thus, working
    memory receives a greater number of inputs, and receives inputs of a greater variety,
    in the presence of an emotional stimulus than in the presence of other stimuli. These
    extra inputs may just be what is required to add affective charge to working memory
    representations, and thus to turn subjective experiences into emotional experiences."

http://www.ekmaninternational.com/media/4634/fearbrain%20amygdala%20joe%20ledoux

• mrmathew1963 Oct 30, 2012

G'day Timka

Are you 110% sure it's we who are naive & not you Timka, the only entity that can be that sure would have to be of divineness…..

God is supposed to be of love & fearlessness & obviously you have found this which is good but we didn’t come here to be divinely fearless otherwise we wouldn’t be here; we would have chosen to be always with God so fear is going to be a part of our lives negatively or positively influencing our physical not divine lives!!!

Love
    Mathew

• Anonymous Icon

Timka Oct 30, 2012

'In a daze cause i found god' Naive comments friends.......

• mrmathew1963 Oct 29, 2012

G'day Sashank

This is very interesting what you have brought up here.

Biological and instinctive fear can be over ridden by psychological sense of fear but if one has the knowing one can accomplish the opposite effect.......I suppose you could call the biological and instinctive fear positive & the psychological sense of fear negative as they have quite different outcomes & feelings.

It is interesting how they have opposite reactions, one makes one aware where’s the other diminishes this awareness, I suppose that’s why spiritually aware people are more collective within their emotional fears, they are more aware to start with…a very good observational comment Sashank.

Love
    Mathew

• sashank.macharla Oct 29, 2012

I personally don't think that biological and instinctive 'fear' and emotional, psychological or rather 'being afraid of something imaginary' kind of 'fear' are in any way the same. what is a necessary tool for biological evolution and stuff cannot, i feel, be brought under our control to fear something that we imagine, such as something in the future or otherwise. it has its own mechanism and the very fact that we 'cannot' interfere with its workings is why it has been working so well, doing its job. and moreover, if we ever observed, the biological fear is followed by a sense of heightening of awareness and the drive to take an impulsive action if needed, whereas emotional fear comes in with the feeling of dimming of awareness and senses, and a shift from something physical to something more mental, with just certain effects on the body such as a feeling of congestion, choking etc
    and if there is a sort of positive emotional fear which works, and s the reasons why we have reached so far, it isn't the kind of fear we feel in our normal lives. it might as well be those moments of utter darkness before which something wonderful dawns on us.

• mrmathew1963 Oct 28, 2012

G'day Karen

I was actually talking about the ideology differences of East & West as we do think quite differently especially in the past but that gap is closing, I don't know much about the American Indians so I'm not sure if I would or wouldn't put them as Western ideological thinkers.

The funniest think about fear is it's saved my neck so many times it's not funny. I get a lot of my messages in my dreams & when I'm not listening I will get quite a frightful dream telling me to pull my horns in or something, it frightening but it's also positive as well. I suppose if I just looked at these dreams as frightening that would be negative fear because I don't have the understanding but once I understand the message within the fear it's not as fearful, that's what I call positive fear.

Love
    Mathew

• mrmathew1963 Oct 28, 2012

G'day Avisek

Of course not all of our decisions are based on fear, we have so many other emotions that dictate our every thought & action it's not funny but fear used positively can be a very good emotion to go through especially in a dangerous situation.

Being spiritually aware I don't find fear discomforting but very helpful in so many ways, the more spiritually aware one becomes the less discomforting it is, it's really showing an understanding of fear that is comforting not the emotion itself.

If there was no fear in the world no one would have a nuclear arsenal to start with but we do have negative fear in the world, if our emotions were based more on positive fear instead of negative fear nuclear arsenal wouldn't be warranted or needed either, looking at fear in a positive knowing sense is like having no fear at all because we wouldn't have the knee jerk reactions brought on by our fearful negative emotions.

Love
    Mathew

• karencandance Oct 25, 2012

I use fear to guide me in my spiritual growth. Whatever it is that I fear emotionally, I overcome.

The first sentence of the last paragraph is not exactly true. "The Easterners have known about spiritual enlightenment way before westerners so why haven’t they ascended?" Prior to 500 years ago, on this land of North America, (the West) back then also. The Natives of this land were quite spiritually "enlightened" and peaceful. They existed for thousands of years here on this land, (we now call ours) here in the West and took care of the earth and each other. So maybe not WAY before westerners... maybe just a little bit before westerners if you believe the Natives were/are westerners like I do. It is taking the Europeans much, much longer.

• Avisek Sengupta Oct 25, 2012

I'd perhaps not fully agree with the idea, that fear alone drives us in every decision we take. A ragging bull coming towards us, certainly instils fear in our hearts, but that does not essentially mean our decision to step aside is based on that fear. There are situations when fear immobilises the target, when in the situation of fear our throats dry up and we cannot even shout; when our limbs become numb and makes it impossible to move. Fear, according to me, is a special sensation of utmost dislike to what is going to happen. But our response to every form of hateful situation is based on our rational faculties, the way we think we can combat the situations we apprehend. Absence of fear might definitely have subtracted a great part of our liveliness; but i dont think it would mean we do not react to something that might cause us harm.
    With special reference to Mr Mathew, I'd state, if there was no fear in this world; why would a particular person be interested in emptying their nuclear arsenal over another one? In presence of fear, we love to trigger the greatest fear in our enemies, the fear of death, thus relieving ourselves with the feeling of revenge. Thanks...

Avisek

• mrmathew1963 Oct 18, 2012

G'day Timka

Yes I would say most definitely emotional fear is learnt & that we are indeed born to/with fear........It's quite obvious we can control debilitating negative fear in any form instinctual/biochemical or not I believe. The more aware & knowing we become the less fear we experience like the public speaker you mentioned here, I would even say that a raging bull coming at you would seem less fearful in a state of awareness & knowing.

I think this is why genuine spiritually aware people show very little fear, they have become more aware & knowing of their environment, they have become more in tune therefore less fearful of their entire environment.

Telephoenician....As I have said we become less fearful the more aware we become of our environment which most genuine spiritually aware people do that's why these people can't see fear having any standing.

With good judgement I still think you have fear but it's a knowing fear of what the bull is actually going to do, it's what I call positive fear, it really doesn't feel like fear but it has too otherwise you wouldn't have noticed a raging bull in the first place. I'm not talking about a debilitating panicky fear but a more collective fear which as I have said doesn't feel like normal fear because it isn't.

I'm realising fear isn't just fear to be feared but is far vaster than that especially when you take in genuine spiritually aware people.

Loopy I know but it suits me!!

Love
    Mathew

• Anonymous Icon

Timka Oct 18, 2012

Would it be safe to say that we are all born with fear but emotional fear is learnt?

Stood whilst a raging bull hurtles towards us would tend to lean on the side of instinctual/biochemical fear. Whilst, the fear of public speaking for example maybe a learnt fear. (If a teacher humiliated David in front of his peers in the classroom for making a mistake whilst reading, David may take on board, reading - attention - humiliation - fear - avoidance).

• telephoenician Oct 17, 2012

Many are debilitated by fear and will just stand there. Secondly, if you've managed to piss off a bull, you're pretty much doomed from the start. Lastly, there's a difference between fear and good judgement.

I will concede, however, that a certain degree of fear does to get the adrenaline going. But too much, and you're bound to make mistakes, or become reckless. I've been in more than a few pickles in my time (I was kidnapped as a lad), and I credit survival to letting go, remaining calm, and having been blessed with uncanny wits.

• mrmathew1963 Oct 17, 2012

It doesn’t matter how one looks at it we all fear at times as a sense of danger/hurt/discomfort = fear.

Examples:
    1/ How many of us want to change this world? Ask yourself why!! Fear of a fearful world or a world going to the pack, you don’t want to be stuck in this world.

2/ How many of us fear fearing? Looking at anything in a distasteful way like fear itself if fearing.

3/ How many of us fear a raging bull or a truck barrelling towards us? Would we just stand there & let it hit us because we are fearless? I don’t think so, if you moved fear told you to do so which is a part of our common sense.

The human emotion of fear comes in so many forms & intensities it’s not funny, one form of fear is more debilitating than the other, one will allow you to make rational decisions the other irrational & that’s the negative & positives of fear.

If one was to be totally without fear,(fearless), you wouldn’t make any decisions as you would be content with what you have as you have no fear in what you have, you would be content & comfortable in whatever world/reality you’re in, now that’s true fearlessness, that’s the warrior.

Love
    Mathew

• telephoenician Oct 17, 2012

I don't have much room for fear these days. Fear arises from ignorance. People who are afraid tend to act without giving much thought, and often leads to hate, anger, and violence.

• mrmathew1963 Oct 16, 2012

G'day

I would like to add to this & say debilitating negative fear is representative of unawareness/unknowing/ignorance where positive fear is of understanding/knowing/awareness , once we have full awareness fear seems to have never existed.

Love
    Mathew

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS