Discussions

book review | Human+

Posted Oct. 1, 2012 by Giulio Prisco in Open

commented on Oct. 2, 2012
by Giulio Prisco

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I think the new science fiction novel Human+ may be of interest to some readers. Here is my review:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/book-review-human-smartdust-spooks-psychics-and-transhumans

Each artificial neuron would communicate with the brain via electrical signals and would be able to wirelessly interface with external hardware, enabling brain-computer networking. Once such networking was established, David noted with interest, Internet telephony could be quite simply deployed. Synthetic telepathy, in other words. …

Such advanced technology may be developed in a couple of decades, transforming us into a “telepathic” species. But what if we already have “natural” psychic abilities, emergent properties of quantum-entangled neurons, waiting to be unlocked by appropriate training?

Or both? Can transhumanist human enhancement and the paranormal abilities co-exist? Or are they on an inescapable collision course?

These are some of the questions that U.K.-based writer and journalist Martin Higgins sets out to explore in his novel Human+, a just-published science-fiction page-turner inspired by of futures studies, psychic spy research, and the transhumanist movement....

• 4 Comments  
  • Giulio Prisco Oct 02, 2012

Re "Well that's just dandy! Oops. So sorry to've overwritten your PhD work."

Couple of decades too late, but thanks! ;-)

• telephoenician Oct 02, 2012

One has to wonder who's going to own the network and what happens when you don't pay your bill?

As it is, the idea that we have any sort of privacy on our home computers is completely delusional and any sort of security measures we might think we have are tantamount to the little lock on sister's dairy.

How will customer support go, then? Can we expect to get Lily Tomlin at the switchboard, "one ring-y, ding-y, two ring-y, ding-y... "?

" ... read/write neural interfaces... "

Well that's just dandy! Oops. So sorry to've overwritten your PhD work.

• Giulio Prisco Oct 02, 2012

Re: "transforming us into a “telepathic” species. " I don't see why not. What really escapes me is that it hasn't been said it's been done already.

In some sense, our current always-on wireless communication ability via smartphones could be considered as a primitive, not very user-friendly form of telepathy. This will change: the evolution of technology will embed our iPhones directly into our brains with very efficient, high-bandwidth read/write neural interfaces. This will be indistinguishable from telepathy.

Of course, we may already have latent telepathic abilities, more developed in some people, based on currently not very well understood science (e.g. entanglement of minds or something like that).

• telephoenician Oct 01, 2012

"transforming us into a “telepathic” species. "

I don't see why not. What really escapes me is that it hasn't been said it's been done already.
    It's just wireless data, right?

"Or are they on an inescapable collision course? "

I wonder about this. What would become of language?
    How might we perceive the data; as something we hear; as language; or what?

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS