Discussions

Anonymous Icon

What brings you to life? tuning in to your body awareness

Posted July 1, 2012 by Deborah Lange in Open

commented on Nov. 5, 2012
by telephoenician

I have been travelling and writing. At this stage of ly life I intend on sharing the kernels of truth that I have found enlivening for me.
In this blog I write of how many of us have become numb and cut ourselves off from feeling pain. Unfortunately, it is my experience this means that we also cut ourselves off from experiencing much joy. This often leads us living a bland life or feeling numb and we limit the deep experience we can have of life and the joy we can share.

In this blog I suggest a simple way of daily tuning in to the sensations in your body to start to feel again and bring your senses into awareness. The more you can do this the more enriched life becomes including a deepened connection to self, other, place and spirit.

Tuning in to the sensations in your body to feel what brings you to life makes a real difference to the choices you make in life. You are more likely to choose what brings you to life rather than making choices based on what other people think or on what you think other people will think of you.

I would love to hear from others about their practises for tuning in and what brings you to life?

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/06/what-brings-you-to-life-start-to-tune-in-deborah-lange/

• 39 Comments  
  • telephoenician Nov 05, 2012

Lately, I've been doing deep breathing exercises and I've noticed a more positive outlook, a greater sense of well-being, and I've been having nice dreams.

• telephoenician Nov 01, 2012

Hallo Tim. Nothing yet. Lean times afraid. Haven't had much to share.
    Hope all's well with you.
    Telephoenician

• Anonymous Icon

Timka Oct 30, 2012

@telephoenician

Hey man, hope things are cool with you. When you get the chance just say 'hi'. (sorry for leaving this message as a blog guys).

• Anonymous Icon

Timka Oct 25, 2012

@ telephoenician

Interviews pfft! If i had prepared and taken my time to attend an interview and was given just 2 minutes I know what I would have said to the gentlemen. It wouldn't be pretty and most certainly is not for here! I personally would give him a little time then give him a polite telephone call to ask 1) Has a decision been made? and ,(if you haven't got the job), 2) what did he feel let you down at the interview?, (even constructive criticism from a chimp can be helpful).

I have adopted a very good technique at interviews which may be helpful. Inevitably at the end of an interview they will ask. 'Do you have any questions?'. I always reply with, 'Just one. You've had the chance to examine my resume at length and now you've met me in person. Do you see any problem with me doing a superb job for your company?' Very rare you'll get a negative response to this question, and so, If you don't get the position it removes all negativity about ones self when you get a standard letter stating, 'You were unsuccessful on this occasion'.

I wish all the very best for you Jerome. A man of your obvious talent won't be out of work for long. Take the other guys advice and love yourself. For warmth/shelter, food, walks and the occasional treat your dog gives you unconditional love for the duration of its life. Maybe It's time to love yourself unconditionally. If you don't get a position with a company it's their loss and most probably fools conducting the interview.

You know what your worth!

Take care and be strong :)

Timka

• mrmathew1963 Oct 24, 2012

G’day Teleopheonician

I know you know you’re not alone which doesn’t help but things could be far worse I know because I worked in the disability area for a while, it’s not the disabled bit that irks me it’s how they are treated.

Can you go around to retired people places & see what you can do for them, it might be as simple as cleaning down a shelf or washing a car, I actually do this myself & it’s quite rewarding helping those out in need.

Are you sitting quietly & spacing out in your own aura now & again…..I separate myself from the outside world while seated & I allow my mind to quietly sway back & forth in an imagined breeze not trying to think of any one thing, I get an immediate knowing smile on my face these days, it’s beautiful even at the worst of times.

I’ve written your name on a piece of paper & put a love heart on either end of your name & I will light a pink candle for you tonight & place it on the piece of paper with you name on it.

All the best my friend
    Love
    Mathew

• Anonymous Icon

Deborah Lange Oct 24, 2012

Dear Teleopheonician Jerome

Oh dear, right now cos I guess you are there right now - go to that place inside of you that feels whatever it is (rejected abandoned - I dont like putting words on what you are feeling ) or whatever it is - find that place in your body, notice he sensations, colours, gurgles, twitches, tension, pain or whatever it is - be with it - acknowledge it. What does that part of you want to say or do, does it want to cry out in pain, does it want to sob, does it want to be held?

ask what it needs to heal the "pain" "rejection, abandonment" or whatever it is that you are feeling -

and if it says a job, well yes but let's just focus on the inside out first!!! OK

so what does it need? acknowledgement, respect? I dont know - once again you need to ask the questions and answer for yourself

Then when you know what that part f you needs - draw your strength from the loving adult that is present right now - the loving adult that asked for help - and allow your loving adult to give yourself what you need - and if it helps to write it here - ie acknowledge yourself for who you are and who you be - give yourself the love and nurturing and kindness and respect that you are so looking for others to give you

practise giving this to yourself so that you are so full of love from within that when you apply and when you go for an interview you are not coming from a place of emptiness or neediness etc - Is their a part of you that is coming across as what? you tell me? desperate? begging? dependent?

And of their is - you can do something about that. You can give yourself the love and acknowledgement from within so that when you apply and when you get that interview you are being whole and complete and you are resonating respect etc.

Maybe the person who had the interview with is not very respectful anyway and if so - they resonated with whatever it is that you are holding onto in yourself so they turned away from you.

Can you see this is a mirror and learn from it?

Does this make sense?

And so the more you give yourself love from within the more you will resonate with people who are also like that and who will see the real you and what you can offer their organisation.

And I know it is dreadful to feel "rejection" - but you are not being "rejected" by the universe.

Feel your pain, be a loving adult and keep giving yourself what you need internally. Then take the living actions you need externally to find a job.

I know you said you were exploring other options - keep exploring.

Do you have any money to live? Is there anything you can do for anyone part-time while you are being loving to yourself and creating getting a job.

Lots of love to you

Deb

• telephoenician Oct 24, 2012

Dear Friends,

I am about at the end of my rope. I've applied to every job I'm qualified to do. I got one interview that lasted all of two minutes. The gentleman was kind enough to take my name and number, but stated that he had one other person to see. I'm afraid it was the old thanks-for-calling-now-piss-off. I could be wrong, but I'm usually a good judge of these things.

It's so discouraging. Interviews are rare, and so I spent the better part of last evening polishing my shoes, laundering and ironing my best clothes. I trimmed my fingernails and saw to those pesky nose and ear hairs. I even got to the barbershop this morning prior to the interview. I eagerly showed up on time, prepared with a nicely crafted resume.

I was hoping some of you noeticers might put out some good vibes for dear old Jerome. I don't think I can stand to lose another pound, lest I blow away in the next breeze. I really don't want to be homeless -- at least not with a dog. I don't think she'd like it very much and I won't give her up.

Thanks,
    Telephoenician (aka Jerome)

• Anonymous Icon

Timka Oct 19, 2012

@ telephoenician

Thanks for your kind words and much kudos to your work here :) I do hope you finally got a good nap, 'To sleep, perchance to dream'. Take care and hope to catch you soon, Timka.

• telephoenician Oct 18, 2012

meant to say IS an uncommon thing... once again, sleep eludes me...

• telephoenician Oct 18, 2012

Whatever you do or however you might feel, Timka, don't ever stop sharing your thoughts and experiences. You cause me to think and give me ideas, and many a time you've validated my own thoughts and feelings. And that, my friend, is an uncommon thing.

Telephoenician

• Anonymous Icon

Timka Oct 16, 2012

@ Deborah Lange and telephoenician

Hi guys, Just wanted to pass on my compliments for your great posts. I often have much to say on the subject in hand, but you guys seem to beat me to it and put it more eloquently than i could in any event.

After spending most of my career in sales/marketing i took a step back to consider my future. Why was it that i had all the money i needed, cars, property, holidays etc A beautiful and caring wife, a dog, two cats (matching colours) and many friends, but i felt so very empty ??? I embarked on a career change and a more spiritual path which ultimately destroyed everything i have mentioned above (everything!!). This taught me much about myself and the fickle company I had been keeping. With great inner strength and a smile I have gradually turned my life into something more meaningful and i'm happy! happy! happy! :)

I work in the care industry which involves end of life care. Your so right Deborah, there is something very beautiful about peoples last days in this world and how one can learn to embrace death. Some clients will talk endlessly about their wonderful experiences and comment typically, 'I wouldn't change a thing'. Other poor souls, (there is a lesson for us all), will comment on how unfair life has been. How they wished they had done certain things in their lives but not got around to them. How they fear death and wish they could start all over again, scary...

I must leave my quaint meanderings as i have much to do today. Keep the great posts coming, I appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowledge and personal experiences.

Love and Happiness,

Timka

• telephoenician Oct 16, 2012

Dear Mariel,

So wonderful to hear your experiences. You know I get a feeling for people only having read their words. You're a gentle spirit, yet you possess incredible strength.

When I was a youngster, just out of secondary school, I took a job at a nursing home. Those are some of my fondest memories. It's true, grown-ups do have so much to share with us, yet in modern society, we pack them away in nursing homes when they ought to be among society lending their wisdom to the little ones.

I'd really love to lend my passion for the old folks, unfortunately, I can't afford the cost of fingerprinting and background checks which the State requires, yet manages not to keep the molesters and abusers out of the profession which the news is riddled with these days.

Thank you for your insights. I hope you will continue to be an inspiration to myself, and others.

Peace!
    Jerome

• Anonymous Icon

Deborah Lange Oct 15, 2012

Dear desert rose

So great to hear you like helping both children and elderly people. I really believe we need to create more inter-generational opportunities to learn from one another across the entire lifespan.

I am writing a book about caring for my mother to honor her last wish to die at home. I had an amazing time full of challenges and an extraordinary spiritual experience after she died.

And as the global ageing bubble bursts it is a great opportunity for us to learn how to live with the elderly and the dying and embrace death.

Love and blessings to you

Deborah

• Anonymous Icon

Deborah Lange Oct 15, 2012

That is so great Jerome teleophenocian - I am so sorry to hear about your stroke. And our world has taught us that we have to be happy and suppress being sad etc.

I believe that being human means embracing every emotion and going to the depths of them all and letting them pass through and enriching ourselves with our sadness, grief, humility, love, happiness etc.

It is OK to feel sad - feel it feel the grief - then allow it to pass through - emotion is energy and if for example you suppress your sadness it can lead to depression, anxiety, ..... at the very extreme suicidal urges. So rather than suppressing, feel it - be with it, ask your sadness what it needs from you to "heal" to pass though. Parent yourself - be the loving adult to yourself that cares about you, that can give you want you need to honour the sadness or the betrayal etc and than ask: what loving action do I need to take for myself now? If you have any kind of spiritual guidance check in with your guidance: What would be a loving action I can take?

It sounds like you took a loving action - you connected with your French teacher.

And another which is reaching out in different areas for work.

And you intend on doing another loving action for yourself and others when you are going to wear a school dress for the girls.

Check in with what your body sensations and your feelings when you choose a loving action - if the loving action really is a loving action there is likely to be some shift - some shift towards a release of stress, anxiety, sadness and a move towards more peace, happiness, contentment etc

Good on you Jerome - I can't wait to see your pictures!!! and hear about your new job!

Love and blessings to you

Deb

• desertrose Oct 15, 2012

Volunteering is the only thing that brings me to life. I thoroughly enjoy helping people particulary the elderly who are beacons of inspiration and knowledge. I also enjoy donating to and am quite passionate about St. Jude's Childrens Hospital it brings great delight to my soul. I wish that there was so much more that I could do I try to give help whenever possible and when needed. Anything to help animals also is quite the rush.
    Cheers.

• telephoenician Oct 14, 2012

Yes! Hello Deborah!

I did get your previous message. I had a look-see at the work you've been doing. It's great! I really love how you combine joy and happiness with your work. I'll have to upload a photo of myself in a dress to show my support of the girls.

I've recently reconnected with my old French teacher who's been really helpful finding leads to more meaningful work. I suffered a mild stroke last month and so they showed me the door at my last job. They won't be missed. I've been frantic worrying if the little dog and I were going to have to go roughing it on the mean streets. Once, I get settled, I'd love to contribute my talents in whatever way I can.

You're so right about altruism. It's got a way of amplifying those good feelings all around. I've been something of a sad-sack these days. I will keep you posted. Keep putting the good stuff out there!

I'm going to see about a dress.

Be well!
    Jerome, aka telephoenician

• Anonymous Icon

Deborah Lange Oct 13, 2012

Dear telephoenician

I did send this message back to you but had called you Jerome not telephoenician so I was not sure if you received it. I ams till working out the IONS site.

Jerome

Yes, I agree with you on much that you wrote. Thank-you for the compliments!

I am involved with a not for profit www.onegirl.org.au and their campaign www.doitinadress.com - to give the 60 million girls who do not have access to education a pathway to education.

Being connected to people who are so passionate about making a difference to the world is really inspiring.

The 2 Co-founders David Dixon and Chantelle Baxter, (at 23 years old) appreciated where they live, how they were brought up just because they happened to be born in an affluent country like Australia.

They both wanted to do something for others who really needed a helping hand.

I have just written a blog about it so I won't go on to much here and I will paste the link to the blog when it goes live on elephant journal.

The point I want to make here is that finding a connection with others who care is what makes the difference to my life. Finding those who do not just talk or send around feel good quotes - the ones who are taking responsible action.

If you are an advocate for girls having access to education in the poorest countries in the world and that tickles your fancy, join the global family.

This is a place where you can be connected, you can make a difference, look at the videos, look at the pinterset board, these are all people who care, who are taking action and through that are very much alive!!!

If this does not appeal , seek out one that does that appeal.

I agree with you about Buddhism I went down that track as well. I think the Dalia Lama has said somewhere that Buddhists do need to go and take loving action in the world. There are not many of us who can sit cross legged and meditate all day.

Besides that I read about a Buddhist monk who went away in a cave for years meditating and finding peace. On this return to community he lost that in seconds when he rubbed against people, life, transport, etc etc

For me it is how I find love and peace in my daily life moment by moment. That is why out of the Buddhists I went to retreats with Thich Nat han. 'Peace is Every Step"

But I went on and found other things to enrich my soul and to uncover more false beliefs and find my authentic self.

Lots of Love and blessings to you Jerome.

• Anonymous Icon

Deborah Lange Oct 02, 2012

Dear Jerome

Yes, I agree with you on much that you wrote. Thank-you for the compliments!

I am involved with a not for profit www.onegirl.org.au and their campaign www.doitinadress.com - to give the 60 million girls who do not have access to education a pathway to education.

Being connected to people who are so passionate about making a difference to the world is really inspiring.

The 2 Co-founders David Dixon and Chantelle Baxter, (at 23 years old) appreciated where they live, how they were brought up just because they happened to be born in an affluent country like Australia.

They both wanted to do something for others who really needed a helping hand.

I have just written a blog about it so I won't go on to much here and I will paste the link to the blog when it goes live on elephant journal.

The point I want to make here is that finding a connection with others who care is what makes the difference to my life. Finding those who do not just talk or send around feel good quotes - the ones who are taking responsible action.

If you are an advocate for girls having access to education in the poorest countries in the world and that tickles your fancy, join the global family.

This is a place where you can be connected, you can make a difference, look at the videos, look at the pinterset board, these are all people who care, who are taking action and through that are very much alive!!!

If this does not appeal , seek out one that does that appeal.

I agree with you about Buddhism I went down that track as well. I think the Dalia Lama has said somewhere that Buddhists do need to go and take loving action in the world. There are not many of us who can sit cross legged and meditate all day.

Besides that I read about a Buddhist monk who went away in a cave for years meditating and finding peace. On this return to community he lost that in seconds when he rubbed against people, life, transport, etc etc

For me it is how I find love and peace in my daily life moment by moment. That is why out of the Buddhists I went to retreats with Thich Nat han. 'Peace is Every Step"

But I went on and found other things to enrich my soul and to uncover more false beliefs and find my authentic self.

Lots of Love and blessings to you Jerome.

• telephoenician Oct 01, 2012

Hello Deborah,

It wasn't until after I rattled off my last bit about listening that I realised what you were asking of me. Apologies.

I don't know whether to call it sadness, or loss. I don't know what it is, but yes- for me, whatever it is, it's often been the impetus for greater understanding and communion. Some might say there is no joy without sorrow, etc. But that's the easy answer -no matter how true.

In my experience, much of the world don't seem to be very engaged or concerned with the welfare of the world at large. There's been a huge loss of empathy in the world, it seems. Everyone rushing around. Well, I think they're all insane. I don't know where it is they think they're going. Has Christ returned? I often wonder. Do they know the location of the Grail? What can be so important that you'll trample the less fortunate on your way to it? I'd be very pleased to know where it is they think they're going, because whatever it is, it must by very important. At least one might think so.

What I do see is all around me -no matter where. It's not something I have to go to. Reminds me a bit of the Carpenter's "Why do birds suddenly appear.... "

Some people walk around with a little black cloud. And that's okay, too. At least they're in touch with something. I was there once. I suppose some folks would rather feel nothing at all than to feel sadness or loss.

I suppose some folks think they've 'arrived' once they've achieved x, y or z. And that's to my way of thinking a huge cause of apathy. But it can't last. The human spirit requires more (or is it less?) than televisions and mobile phones to feel connected with the world. If they'd quit paying attention to the Kardashians for two minutes, they might see what you and I see. There's a treasure to be had and it's all around us. And, yes -sometimes it is sad.

You know I used to be somewhat enthralled with Eastern Philosophy until I grew a bit older. It has it's points, but there's more to the world than coasting down a lazy river all the time. There's responsibility for the things we care about and even the things we don't know we care about. I suppose that's what attracts me to the Druids who revered nature, but also weren't milquetoast about it either.

You seem to me to be a very courageous woman. I saw your picture, and I know it's true. Oh, my Deborah, you're a beauty! Your eyes possess wisdom and great strength.

Many Blessings!
    Jerome

• Anonymous Icon

Deborah Lange Sep 30, 2012

Dear Jerome!!!

Is the inner dialogue ever quiet??? not even when we are asleep!!!

I woke up this morning to a text message, a friend with a mare had a black filly last night. My body felt warm and alive and I smiled! I walked down to feed the horses and 2 beautiful Australian parrots flew down the driveway with me, a good morning hello! I went mmm - and glowed a little more inside.

To my delight I saw the pea hens, 1 of them with 3 chicks, they saw me and walked across the road in front of me. I was amused at one little chick who couldn't quite make it across a channel and up the slightest rise on the other side - his mother kept checking if s/he was alright - would s/he make it or not? Do I go and help? - no, I can not rescue every little chick that can not get up a hill, so I went into the barn to get the feed for the horse. When I came out I caught sight of the pea hens, and yes, there were the 3 chicks - the little one had learnt how to climb a hill today!!! I noticed coming to life again at the sight of a chick getting over a challenge!!

The pea hens and the chicks were scratching around where I feed the horses - 2 of the chicks were in the feed bucket which had turned on its side, they looked cute sheltering from the light drizzle. I decided I would not disturb them so I walked down to the end of the paddock with the horses following me. I started to pick up their manure and mused on what brings me alive whilst picking up shit!!! I then heard the pea hens squealing and saw that one of the horses had gone over to where I feed them - the hens and chicks scurried off.

I went over to the bucket to feed that horse - and guess what I found? -Just near the bucket was a chick, dead, accidentally trodden on by the horse, perhaps it was that slow one I noticed earlier.

My body slumped, did i feel alive now? Yes, alive with grief, and sadness. At the earlier event I chose not to intervene. I also chose not to shoo them away from where the horses feed, if i had would that chick be alive now? - but then again maybe it would happen when I wasn't there? Life comes as it did this morning with that filly being born and life ends with my dear little chick this morning.

What struck me as I gave the chick a burial under a beautiful tree was that there are some people who would not have felt anything like what I felt.

The narcissicists, psycho-paths, sadists of the world are brought to life and are energised by cruel acts, as they have not learnt how to empathise with pain, their own, and that of others, or have any kind of compassion with others, nature and animals.

So, in conclusion today, grief and sadness also brings me to life, wakes me up. However, I had a hidden assumption when I wrote -What brings you to life" that I was thinking about that in the light of ethical, compassionate, values for self and others.

Have a great day being alive!!!

Deb

• telephoenician Sep 29, 2012

Dear Deborah

I know for example many people mention the idea of quieting internally. I think this can be somewhat of a misconception because as we quiet our inner dialogue, we then allow ourselves to open up to communication with the world around us -which is the point, and -which can be confusing to someone who's been told mind must be quiet.

Regardless, I think the concept is the same for whatever kind of listening we might want to accomplish.

In order to listen, one must be quiet. Fair enough. The trick, I suppose, is being able to differentiate between our own monologue and the communication we sense when we are connected to the world around us -which might seem unexpected to someone who's never experienced it because they're labouring under the idea that meditation must be this dull, lonesome, boring affair. I promise you, each and every one of us is connected in this way. Many of us just aren't LISTENING.

Sometimes, on my way to work I pop on the headphones and listen to music and wait for the bus.

This past week, I'd been listening to the Beatles Rarities LP because it has a couple of songs inspired by eastern transcendentalism. Mixed in are also several toe-tappin', rock-a-billy tunes like; I'm Down, Long Tall Sally, Matchbox, and Slow Down.

Initially popped it in to hear the songs Rain, the Inner Light, and Across the Universe in order to calm myself before going into work where I really struggle to stay connected and where I really really cannot allow myself to dissociate. I had to wonder why all of a sudden these raucous melodies had become so appealing to me, as opposed to the allegedly more meditative tracks.

There's a passage in the song Across the Universe where John says "...Thoughts Meander like a Restless wind inside a letter box They tumble Blindly as they make their way across the universe... "

"They tumble blindly... " I thought to myself as I navigated the hurried, busy traffic on my way to work. Now, I narrow my eyes and stare into the morning sun -and the oncoming traffic which passes over me like waves.

Warm Regards
    Jerome

• Anonymous Icon

Deborah Lange Sep 29, 2012

" Can words alone inspire the seed to grow? "
    Dear Teleophoenician

you say, " can words inspire the seed to grow?

The short answer is yes. Is DNA not language?

The long answer is also yes. Are words really so powerful, dear Dusty? Mayhaps it's why words are 'spelled'"

I wrote "what brings you to life/ " as I have many people talk about being dull, bored, busy, distracted - I coach these people to be present to feel into more of themselves - to feel within and without in a sensory way and a soulful way to notice what brings them/us/me to life?
    Last night I saw a rainbow across the sky - I havn't seen one for a long time. not so close and so distinct, I jumped up, I watched, I went outside so I could see more - the rainbow brought me to life, I felt more alive in the moment. I am looking after 4 horses, a dog, 2 cows, a goldfish, and a chicken and there are many ducks and birds on the property. I notice the mum and dad ducks and their 12 little ducklings each day and they bring me to life - noticing them , noticing them notice me, noticing how protective mum and dad are who with eyes watching me start walking away with their little family, and when I walk out in the morning I have skip the dog wag his tail, and want a pat and walk down to the horses with me, Skip brings me to life, and their is a whole forest of tress and I do not know what they are but while I have been here they have changed daily from brown dead trunks and branches to a soft lavender sea of petals in the sky, that brings me to life, and then there are the horses, one in particular who whinnies to me as I walk down to the paddock to feed her, I have bonded with her, I scratch her back and she scratches mine - a mutual massage, these are some of the things that bring me to life daily.

• telephoenician Sep 28, 2012

" Can words alone inspire the seed to grow? "

The short answer is yes. Is DNA not language?

The long answer is also yes. It's a bit more metaphysical though and at some point logic and reason (from certain perspectives, anyway) fall apart.

Unfortunatley, we are in many ways indoctrinated, thus limited by our language. Think about the English lexicon vs. say I dunno, just about any other language. Does English REALLY require ALL those words. Or do English speakers tend to be MORE expressive. I'll let you be the judge.

Extrapolate that idea further. Are words really so powerful, dear Dusty? Mayhaps it's why words are 'spelled'.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 28, 2012

Much of what is talked about here in these discussions, or more exactly, the way it is talked about gives me pause. An example of this is the phrase, "Brings us to life." What does this really mean? Are we not brought to life once the sperm meets the egg?
    If this a euphemism for the idea of living ones life more fully, experiencing life more richly, more deeply, let me provide this thought. A seeds falls on the ground and remains dormant for months and even longer. What stops the seed from sprouting? Can words alone inspire the seed to grow?

• Anonymous Icon

Deborah Lange Sep 27, 2012

@telephoenician - thanks for the poem! simple and yes, in spirited!

• Anonymous Icon

Deborah Lange Sep 27, 2012

@Timka - it is a wonder I didn't meet you on the road!!!! I was out there too!!! yes, I found my peace on the inside - funny about that!!!

• Anonymous Icon

Timka Sep 26, 2012

@ Deborah Lange

For years i practically read a library on the mind, consciousness, psychology, philosophy, meditation, poetry to name just a few subjects. After travelling with some really great people worldwide, interviewing the top guys in their field on the same subjects, (i won't name drop, my ego can take a back-seat). It finally dawned on me most unexpectedly whilst i sat alone on a small beach in Oz. 'The kingdom of heaven is within you', (not in a religious context). How i laughed at my empty bank account and the years of 'finding myself'. Still some good experiences, great friends and much knowledge were picked up along the way :)

• telephoenician Sep 25, 2012

These words go with a particular song that's in-spirit-ed me over the years.

Credit goes to Kate Bush. The words stand on their own. Quite simple and unravelling. If one doesn't pay attention, it might tend to bore 'the-already-bored'.

Listen for the subtle changes.
    It grows into something much larger.
    Something from Nothing.
    It is I suppose a Mantra.

It lay buried here
    It lay deep inside me

It's so deep I don't think
    That I can speak about it
    to anyone

Could take me all my life...

But it would only take a moment to
    Tell you what I'm feeling

But I don't know if I'm ready yet

You come walking into this room
    Like you're walking into my arms

What would I do without you?

Take away the love and the anger
    A little piece of hope holding us together

Looking for a moment that'll never happen
    Living in the gap between past and future

Take away the stone and the timber
    And a little piece of rope won't hold it together

If you can't tell your sister
    If you can't tell a priest '
    Cause it's so deep you don't think
    That you can speak about it to anyone

Can you tell it to your heart?
    Can you find it in your heart?

To let go of these feelings
    Like a bell to a Southerly wind?

We could be like two strings beating
    Speaking in sympathy

What would we do without you?
    Two strings speak in sympathy

Take away the love and the anger
    And a little piece of hope holding us together
    Looking for a moment that'll never happen
    Living in the gap between past and future

Take away the stone and the timber
    And a little piece of rope won't hold it together

We're building a house of the future together

What if it's so deep you don't think
    That you can speak about it?

Just remember to reach out
    And touch the past and the future

Don't ever think that you can't change
    The past and the future

You might not
    Not think so now
    But just you wait and see
    Someone will come to help you

Don't ever think that you can't change
    The past and the future

Just you wait and see
    Someone will come to help you

• Anonymous Icon

Deborah Lange Sep 25, 2012

@A 1 sounds like you know how to play!!! Today I played with one of the horses I am looking after. I "asked" her to follow me, then I would stop and ask her to stop, then I would start again - so playing following and leading, moving and being still and noticing - and by the way this is with a horse at liberty in a paddock, no halter or bridle, she is free to do what ever she wants - she can either play with me or not - os it depends on hoe connected we are energetically for her to engage in play with me! I had fun!

• Anonymous Icon

@Timka - great story! thanks for posting. I feel like I have looked and looked and looked outside to other experts for many years, and then my search took me inward for many more years. It's funny how some of our most joyful moments can be right in front of our eyes, or under our butts as your story suggests but we keep looking elsewhere!!!

• Anonymous Icon

Dear @telephoenician

So great that you fell apart and then found yourself - in some ways I did something similar. I "had" everything that you were supposed to have only there was still an ache, so I threw it all away!!! At first though, I sabotaged myself by attempting to create something new which was really just the same. Now after a long journey navigating my way along a path I am happy with who I am. I have the freedom to dance around a fire, in the country just because my spirit wants to express elation through my body, I am happy to sit in the middle of a paddock and listen to the kookaburras, watch the ducks land and the mother duck caretake her family of 7 little ducklings, and watch the buds appear on the trees at the beginning of spring. I am in Australia and spring is bursting out all over the countryside. I love being in my body and notice my energy, notice what attracts me what repels me, what makes my heart feel like singing, what makes me feel sad. I am happy that I am letting go of self-consciousness and allowing myself the freedom to be and to create without judgement and without worrying about what other people think.
    I am still on my endless search, always will be. At the moment the work that inspires me is Michael Singer's "The Untethered Soul".
    Keep wiggling those toes!!! I feel life is supposed to be playful - I think many adults forget that!!!

• telephoenician Sep 24, 2012

Walkies
    Running mindlessly in a big open field
    Singing and Dancing
    Grown Ups
    Letters Exchange

• Anonymous Icon

Timka Sep 22, 2012

@ telephoenician

You reminded me of a short story so thought i'd share with others :-

A beggar had been sitting by the side of a road for over thirty years. One day a stranger walked by. "Spare some change?" mumbled the beggar, mechanically holding out his old baseball cap. "I have nothing to give you," said the stranger. Then he asked: "What's that you are sitting on?" "Nothing," replied the beggar. "Just an old box. I have been sitting on it for as long as I can remember." "Ever looked inside?" asked the stranger. "No," said the beggar. "What's the point? There's nothing in there." "Have a look inside," insisted the stranger. The beggar managed to pry open the lid. With astonishment, disbelief, and elation, he saw that the box was filled with gold.

• telephoenician Sep 21, 2012

@ A I: I'm going to wiggle my toes tonihgt and egt back ot you.

• telephoenician Sep 21, 2012

Dear Deborah,

I'm not quite new to this, but new enough, if you will forgive me if I am unfamiliar with the vernacular as I tend to express myself using my own terms.

I was intuitive as a child and I've always been an empath. Unfortunately, most of my life I'd gotten the sense that people didn't particularly care for me, and naturally, it manifested. I was always envious of others for whom getting along with others seemed to come naturally. This, was of course a positive feedback mechinism. Feigning congruity didn''t work either. People saw right through it.

For me, I suppose, my 'awakening' occured after experiencing what I thought was a tremendous loss. At any rate, it turned my world upside down. I felt completely empty. I cried and cried. But after a period, it was as if I could see the cracks in reality and I was able to realise something much greater than myself. All of a sudden so many things that had been important to me no longer mattered. I had stopped caring what I looked (and smelled) like for a long time.

I am no longer caught up in so many of the things in life people think they need. I have, I suppose discovered my authentic self, and I really like him, and others do too. I bathe now and wear clean clothes, but I kept the beard. It suits me.

Nowadays, I do like to care for my 'avatar' but in ways that feed the spirit. Long walks with the dog. Music, of course. Quiet time. Introspection.

I hope this helps you on your own journey.

• Anonymous Icon

Deborah Lange Sep 14, 2012

"I feel" therefore I am!!!! Yes!!!

• Anonymous Icon

Timka Sep 14, 2012

'I feel, therefore i am', works so much better ;)

• Anonymous Icon

Deborah Lange Sep 09, 2012

Sounds like you have fun exploring!!! I only just found your reply!!! Thanks for contributing.

• A I Jul 10, 2012

Hmm.
    I go for walks in nature, paint, compose music, landscape, scuputre, help people, chase my kitten around the house...spend quality time with my animals as I'm ina very secluded area. OFten can just sit int he yard and watch a flower or the river pass, or leaves on a plant russle inthe wind.
    read soemtimes, as Its relaxing, or poder, I liek to ponder sometimes. Soemtime si dont, depends which part of me I'm using.....seeign is better that resonign or thinking.
    SO i guess the default is forging a reatioship with reality, taking part. avoiding mental abstractinism and intellualizing tings and just percieving them removign the personality from the equation.
    I like the act of creation and also listening deeply. I think the deeper one goes the more serenity, the more superficial the more sense of vapidity and hunger. You can have a gem of a time buyign grocieries if you have the right state of mind. Like to not have a ritual and sorta, figure out at the time, hmm, what woudl I like today? What havent i had?
    then it's fun to help the peopel checking oyu out with their jobs, as I found its fun beign part, and I think there is ajoy in communal action...workign together.....being otusdie of the self image. You remove the image and we go from pluralism to monism.....and so desire goes and teh idea of work and want. sO anything can be good with the right mindset. I meditate at nights. Wiggle my toes. That's a big plus. SOmetihng about toe wigglign brings delight. Unles you have no toes. Not sure why that is. One of those great mysteries of life.
    removeing any ritual or habituated action....getting away from mechanical living. Sovling problems is fun for me.
    IF any one has insight into why toe wigglign is delighful...........remove the I adn what left is tranquility.
    When I cook, I try to make is special, invent some new sanderch. Kids play. FOr soem rasons grown ups often forget how to play. RUles, images, and so forth. Loose that innocence that is so beautiuful. I have mising parts and I lov it when kdis go right up and ask wat happened. grown ups just look turn away or you see uncomfort.....so afraid of this or that, but honesty is so beatiful, curioisty.
    What is that saying, but as a unhewn block of wood. shapeless....or there was a sayign inthe Tao Te Ching, "The Tao is like a stalliong runngin wild in the pasture....nevr made sense till years later.
    Hopping can be fun.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS