Discussions

Anonymous Icon

Lunar cycle & mood

Posted June 5, 2012 by jimken01 in Open

commented on June 6, 2012
by slowlygetnthar

I have noticed that my mood is effected by the phase of the moon. I have experienced fits of anger that coincide with (or just a couple of days prior to) the full moon.

I have no particular interest in stuff like astrology, but am aware of the 'folk' wisdom concerning lunar cycles and 'lunacy'. Being from the UK, the moon is not that often clearly visable at night, so I don't follow the moon except in passing.

Are there any credible studies that have proven a credible link between full moon and human behaviour and mood?

• 1 Comment  
  • slowlygetnthar Jun 06, 2012

Hmm...Here are a few citations of stuff that's out there...

Influence of Lunar Phases on Suicide: The End of a Myth? A Population‐Based Study.By: Biermann, Teresa; Estel, Dorothee; Sperling, Wolfgang; Bleich, Stefan; Kornhuber, Johannes; Reulbach, Udo. Chronobiology International: The Journal of Biological & Medical Rhythm Research, 2005, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p1137-1143,

Sleepless night, the moon is bright: longitudinal study of lunar phase and sleep.By: RÖÖsli, Martin; JÜni, Peter; Braun-FahrlÄnder, Charlotte; Brinkhof, Martin W. G.; Low, Nicola; Egger, Matthias. Journal of Sleep Research, Jun2006, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p149-153,

Zargar, Moosa,Khaji, Ali,Kaviani, Ahmad,Karbakhsh, Mojgan,Yunesian, Masud & Abdollahi, Morteza."THE FULL MOON AND ADMISSION TO EMERGENCY ROOMS." Indian Journal of Medical Sciences; May2004, Vol. 58 Issue 5, p191-195, 5p Article:

The impact of the lunar cycle on the incidence of trauma.By: Stomp, Wouter; ten Duis, Henk-Jan; Nijsten, Maarten W. N.. Trauma, 04/01/2011, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p121-124,

No Effect of Lunar Cycle on Psychiatric Admissions or Emergency Evaluations.By: McLay, Robert N.; Daylo, Amado A.; Hammer, Paul S.. Military Medicine, Dec2006, Vol. 171 Issue 12, p1239-1242,

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS