Discussions

Anonymous Icon

After Life Encounters...

Posted Jan. 26, 2012 by Humble in Open

commented on March 4, 2012
by slowlygetnthar

Is anyone doing Research about this matter ?

• 32 Comments  
  • slowlygetnthar Mar 04, 2012

Hey Bechamel, I just wanted to get back to you about the opinions of some Jesuit physicists I said I would ask about Michio Kaku. He is well-respected as a scientist. He is also a bit envied for his cachet.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 23, 2012

Added to this,

Of the shows on air covering topics, does seem efforts on these paranormal shows are expended to profile and weed out respondents and have them qualified as mentally ill, in some cases. Not all, but persons questioning any of the practices or endeavors of those involved with productions, this would become merely procedural. The bias of those running the show defines whom gets labeled and who gains validity.

Some of this gets placed in hands of audience and depending upon level of skepticism results in same. Of people reporting experiences, safe bet not everyone is comfortable having these televised nationally and most often are probably able to doubt own sanity without having others join in.

If these are not valid presentations, the creators of such places that grant public tours of haunted facilities for example, as a business presented as factual, could be considered to be defrauding all attending. If these places are proposed as truly haunted, calling anyone else fraudulent for reporting subjective experiences of their own of this nature on the basis of mental instability is considered slanderous.

It is a touchy subject.

Related to hauntings, may also want to have the place you live checked for gas leaks if experiencing such, which these are known to contribute to otherwise unexplained phenomena and often are not properly ruled out. This can create illness physically short of death and also contribute to hallucinations.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 17, 2012

Stanford U. California.

• charliet Feb 16, 2012

Hi Dwuagneux

Type in Jim B Tucker in the IONS search window, he apparently has taken over Stevenson's work, there is a bit of info there and an interview with him. Also Loyd Auerbach has done some work in this area, typing in his name in search will bring up an audio interview where he talks about the boy who was a pilot in the South Pacific.

Hope this helps, interesting subject.

• dwuagneux Feb 16, 2012

Some good research on all types of afterlife experiences has come out of the ASPR - founded circa 1888 by Harvard prof William James
    American Society for
    Psychical Research, Inc.
    5 West 73rd Street
    New York, New York 10023
    USA
    phone (212) 799-5050 / fax (212) 496-2497

Thay have a sister organization in England.

email aspr@aspr.com

As for reincarnation - a good source is:
    The Universiy of Virginia's Dr. Ian Stevenson.
    "One of the most astounding pieces of physical evidence for reincarnation lies in scars and birthmarks on children that correspond to wounds on a deceased person’s body. They are oftentimes in the same shape as the wound occurring in a child’s past life memory of an injury. The wounds are also verified by medical records, such as photographs and documents created for autopsy reports. According to Dr. Ian Stevenson, the leading authority on reincarnation research at the University of Virginia School of Medicine, some of the children have scar tissue too abnormally shaped and closely matching to be labeled purely coincidental."

Does anybody know of any scholarly reseach being down on "place memory?" It would be interesting to know more about how it works.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 14, 2012

Would like to concede on a point. I did watch ghost tv growing up. Was just brought to my attention. Scooby Doo. Also, Casper the Friendly Ghost.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 14, 2012

Technically the shows mentioned below involve research.

As to ghosts and paranormal investigative shows;

If you do not believe in ghosts, it is a wasted, if harmless pursuit or curiosity. Until it is not. Someone took a former mental hospital and a former prison, turned them into destination points for ghost hunts. The idea of someone saying oh, I want to see a ghost from a mental hospital or prison, holds little difference to going to an active mental hospital or active prison, viewing people like animals in a zoo.

It is entering in to a place where if not actual spirits, the spirit of oppression exists nonetheless. It is disrespectful to the memory of the people there, let alone to televise it. Maybe not to everyone, but for enough, including people whom were in those places whom would not have likely wanted people coming through on curiosity tours when they were there, alive, let alone now. In part, these are touted as having been places of unrest. That is their allure.

If you actually believe in ghosts, there is a whole other level to object on. Even if casts and crews are going in with the best of intentions (which I can appreciate, that no harm is intended) now by televising it are inviting attention to places. It had been a contention by some that such manifestations feed off energy in the environment. If it is a 'negative' energy, what kind of energy would this amount to when groups of people arrive, complete with recording equipment relaying efforts to the airwaves? Unless the shows are just in it for the entertainment value, if are rooted at all in the education potential, if support what producing, would have to concede this as a possibility.

Efforts to conserve dignity in memory or spirit. It is not clear this is achieved.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 13, 2012

I was recently made aware of scientists, some reputable ones, warning against taking certain theories and principles and applying them to things like consciousness or unexplained phenomena...including this? That there is not enough linking, or at least not yet. Just what I was told.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 12, 2012

Hi again slowlygetnthar.

Apologize for any redundancy.

What I was getting at is how to conserve respect when looking into such things...

Exploitation. That was the word I was looking for. The shows seem, some of them, to exploit victims and feed on suffering of others. For example, have been told of popular haunting "destination points" such as prisons and hospitals. It is bad enough suffering and unrest occurred there during life. Think of all the peopEven without "proof" of spirits or energies, "ghosts", why invite attention on location, it is disrespectful nearly.

Put it this way. What if you turned on one of these shows and see none other than your former family homestead on one of these episodes? Haunted or not.

It seems kind of like the circus coming to town? Nothing against the shows.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 12, 2012

slowlygetnthar,

I find I have less of a tolerance for these shows as time passes (good thing we lack cable, then), mainly because the more I think I understand, the less I really do. Have had experiences am not entirely comfortable with sharing. That one below I relayed is the least of it.

Those re enactments rather disconcert me. They never come close enough to informing my own experiences. Same with others I know. Some of them, I can appreciate. But still someone elses experience. What I find most upsetting are the shows seeking out such experiences. The "HEY-I- just -had-the-same-experience- twenty- other-people-warned-against" crowd, whom would probably jump off a bridge if everyone else did (ever hear the expression 'go towards the light'? It is to stay the dark); Why go asking/LOOKING for trouble? From what little I have seen of some of these, it is precisely what people do.

Then again if you are a diehard skeptic, that may be the only way to become a convert. Not sure. Some remain skeptics no matter what. I had no real idea of such before experiencing certain things. Even then I have my doubts. Watching a show will not convince or impact anyone whom has not had even one experience they cannot explain away easily or, at all.

There are also so many conflicting opinions about 'where' these things derive, what they 'are', that I am as mentioned, further away from understanding not closer to knowing; and wish to avoid these productions.

I do not know if I was on any special frequency to sense what everyone else there (in below account) also evidently did, but had no warning and would hesitate to repeat some of such if you paid me. Interesting concept however. Because it did leave an impression on me (I could refer these shows to several locations, but would not know if property owners would welcome the visits, or not) enough to mention!

There are some theories that people not places are 'haunted'. Or combination thereof. Not sure what to say of that. A member of our household claims knowledge of a haunted OBJECT. Do not worry, I promise to stop there.

What is interesting about your theory on connections through love/so called positive emotions could be said of negative experiences, could it not? That is disturbing, if one is the victim of abuse for example. Just a thought. One I have had, before.

• charliet Feb 12, 2012

As I originally offered I would give suggested readings on this topic, I find it funny that it seems no one has noted the beauty of the IONS site. It is full of information.

Go to the Browse Topics at the top of the page and select the drop down boxes, select Death,Dying and Beyond. There are audio seminars there, free for the listening. You want research and proof, listen to the seminars by Dianne Arcangel - Afterlife Encounters, Life after Death - Charles Tart, The Afterlife Experiments - Gary E Schwartz PHD, the actual proof is here in this book and his other books.

Skip over to the search window at the top right of the IONS home page and type in Loyd Auerbach, info and audio seminar here on Ghosts and Ghost Hunting, he is the true ghost hunter.

There are many more audio seminars and papers all over this site, Dean Radin, Deepak Chopra, etc. Listen to their talks and buy the books if you like.

Use the IONS site as it was designed to be used, an information center, the knowledge on this site will also assist you in your other searches on the internet, kind of a safe harbour where you can trust what you are given.

Enjoy the IONS site, it is a great library of information.

• slowlygetnthar Feb 12, 2012

Hmm...I will ask some Jesuit physicists I know if they thinks Michio Kaku is talking Sci-fi. That's a good question. I thought Kaku's stuff was pretty mainstream for quantum mechanics.

Anyway, I do think quantum mechanics begins to explain what we perceive as ghosts. Some ghosts may be holographic recordings on the atmosphere or physical space of a location. When in the right frequency to see these recordings, we mere mortals may enter a space and see "ghosts."

Other hauntings seem to be more interactive, where there is clearly intelligence behind the ghostly behavior. I don't think these are holographic, though maybe we need to be in a particular frame of mind--tuned to a different frequency, sometimes-- to perceive ghosts.

Even though the series _Ghostly Encounters_ is produced (by Canadian broadcastin) for tv., that series is a good exploration of the subject. Individuals tell their stories, and there is some attempt to reflect on the meaning of it, by the announcer, Lawrence Chau, who draws on psychology and mythos to explain the interpretation. Still, it is not quite formal research--though the stories could be considered case studies.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 12, 2012

slowlygetnthar,

Michio Kaku ought have been included on the "What The Bleep..." film. Never read any of his books, though did give one, as a gift. Also heard him speak, once (over the radio). Have gathered he strives for peace and embraces scientific advancement to help facilitate this. There is no rule which says one must be well spoken and well versed in subjects at the same time but, what little I have learned of him, he is defined by both plus as a visionary.

That being said, what he explores in part still is categorized as sci "fi" I was told.

I haven't run across any info on dual-location across dimensions. Maybe some of Michio Kaku's stuff might address it. He is so eloquent in his verbal explanations of things, I am hoping he has written something about this in his explanations of parallel universes.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 12, 2012

slowlygetnthar;

It is exactly that last bit, the line you start out "The question i am wondering about"; that is
    the question I had been trying to ask but, lacked ability to summarize. I suspect for every question is an answer. Maybe.

Who knows if it is reincarnation or if it is a matter of Talbot projecting his identity as Andy? I do know that it was palpable enough, somehow, for me to pick up on it.

As for electrons in two places at once, you would need to be more specific as to how you might conceptualize how it relates to the incident mentioned. I have thought that people who have emotional/love/meaningful connection are forever connected, and yes, in those cases, the dual-location of electrons might explain how one knows about the others' psych-emotional state from great distance. In this case, though, I am not sure how you are interpeting it. In this life, I don't have a deep connection to Talbot/Anders.

The question I am wondering about is dual-location of electrons across multiple dimensions--how might this work?-- especially in light of the possibility of existing on multiple dimensions and in multiple incarnations simultaneously.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 12, 2012

The more mainstream the discussion, the higher incidence of psychiatric prescriptions in some cases. Because the fact remains, people can hear voices which are not there, or see things visually due to chemical imbalances.

Also, such visions if possible can get clouded by a viewers own thoughts and impressions, couldnt they?

Watching television has been found to induce beta waves in watchers. We are more than what we commonly perceive.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 12, 2012

A thought, for slowlygetnthar;

Handed down generations, in some families, a concept of a belief in possibility of reincarnation.

This is shared by some relgious sects. It is considered offensive, to others.

Have never been sure what to make of it. For example, how would this be accounted for or, explained scientifically?

In your case mentioned, would you limit your question about that person to your mental impression or in relation to your perception of what that persons projections are or,

could you go a step farther and ask if the possibility exists that you and that person "knew" one another, somehow, "before"?

If that were possible, what does this mean?

Nothing?

Something? Before, after, before, after, before...

If this is true that this is potential, the concept of "inhabiting" another in opposition to what we have come to accept about space, time; where would the concept or experience of ghosts play in? Could not this even appear to oppose widely accepted concepts of heaven (hell)? What would happen to our sense of "self" in the face of this?

Could the basis for this be somewhere in the realm of one electron being in two places at once?

How do such theories relate to "consciousness", do they?

The more we keep talking about these things--clairvoyance, ESP, clairaudience, spirit visits, etc.,...the more mainstream the dialogue, the more acceptance. With acceptance and curiosity will come research.

I look at all the reality tv shows that have cropped up: Ghost Adventures, Paranormal State, Ghostly Encounters, A Haunting...
    It seems that the public discourse about all this is coming to the mainstream. Also, we are not being burned at the stake for these types of discussions...so progress is occurring, just not as quickly as some of us would like to see it occur.

• dwuagneux Feb 12, 2012

Whatever these things are – reincarnation, souls that linger somehow, I just wish the phenomena was acceptable to discuss/explore with open dialogue between disciplines. I cannot help but believe if more scholarly research had been put into the subject, then it would emerge from the quasi-science, snicker-inducing realm where it has been relegated.

Years ago, I met a city administrator at a QOL conference luncheon who told of a case in her small town of a local woman who claimed to be psychic and had gone to the police to report an abducted woman who was still alive that she kept seeing in her mind's eye. Although given a great deal of information to go on, she was ignored – even after a woman that fit the description was reported missing. Later, the woman was found dead. Being a small town, there was a lot of discussion about the case between the town’s leadership and the police. She recounted that individually the officers and desk sergeant said that they would have liked to follow the leads provided by the self-proclaimed psychic, but each was afraid of ridicule. What a tragic shame. It seems to me that part of being intelligent is admitting that we know very little and a willingness to remain curious and inclusive when it comes to what is possible.

Playing music in Seattle, a colleague's husband used to wait for her, so they could ride home together. His name was Talbot. In my head, his name always registered as Anders. Finally, after two years of thinking his name as Anders, I said to him that I could never look at him and come up with any other name than Anders. The impression was so strong that I struggled to call him Talbot, when we spoke.

He said that as a child, he insisted his name was Andy, and when old enough to understand he could legally change his name, he begged his parents to let him change his name to Andy. They refused.

So, was I remembering his name from another life or just picking up on his own mental self-identification as Andy? He did not remind me of anyone I have known, in this life, as Anders.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 12, 2012

dwuagneux aka Dianne;

This account made the hairs on back of my neck raise. I spent time at a friends family place on E Coast of USA years ago and after witnessing something I will not elaborate on, in the middle of night, in wee hours of a.m. still dark out. I was so shaken asked my friend to accompany me to restroom when she awoke in daylight. I do not recall if I had slept after that. Am certain we were not heard as I whispered to her what I experienced. It was a sizeable place and remainder of her family were downstairs, doing breakfast already. I would not allow myself to be alone upstairs and stuck close to her. When we got downstairs she urged me to tell everyone. I was hesitant but her demeanor encouraged me to do it for some reason. I am surprised I even told her. There was no mistaking that what I had seen and felt etc could not have been anyone present that I had been made aware of and certain variables ruled out trickery. Since I am skeptical, I have asked myself the questions others might, of me. There was no earthly physical machine projector running a film and if there were there was nothing present to account for capturing and displaying what was seen in turn by me. Anyway, I started to tell them details, but before I could finish was interrupted by a member of the family completing my description perfectly. I was stunned. He said yeah, then went on to explain what they are aware "lived" in a particular room, up the stairs from where I had seen "him". I then got a rundown of two deaths on the property 50 yrs apart in a 100 yr period, same manner, same spot and other details. I am witholding my name.

• dwuagneux Feb 12, 2012

Hi Bechamel,
    Yes; my name is a mouthful, but easy to pronounce (Wuagneux = one-you); but, Dianna is easier :-)
    My brother and I were too young to have any memory of the place ( in rural New England), and my parents would not discuss it until I was an adult returning to New England after college. I was considering a 200 year old house (where I now live) when my parents sat me down and told me that when my brother was a toddler and I was an infant, they had to deal with heavy, boot-type footsteps, things being moved, etc., which they largely ignored/tried to explain away. Then they began hearing audible conversations. On their last night in the house, my parents became convinced that there was an intruder in the basement because they could hear heavy things being dragged around, then heavy footsteps coming up the basement stairs (this was new). With no phone or nearby neighbors for help, my father waited until the steps came up to the the door and then swung it hard inward to knock down whoever was there, but there was no one. I had never seen my father frightened until he told this story. According to my mom, that was it - they packed a few things and left with my brother and me to her mother's house and then hired some folks to pack and move their things. Before they rented it, the house had sat empty for years. Since my present house had been on the market for nearly 7 years, my parents were leary and suggested we talk to the neighbors and previous owners and bluntly ask if it had "activity.". I am ashamed to say that I didn't. I wish these topics were not so taboo...we could all learn so much by talking openly. We never told our children the story, but all of us have heard (but thank goodness never seen) things in this house (walking, humming, and something that sounds like a large-ish dogs running across the floor upstairs - with that distinctive clicking of paws/claws on hardwood floors...but the upstairs is now carpeted.) I do not know what to make of it, but am open to ideas!

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 11, 2012

for dwuagneux,

Gee your name is difficult to recall. Had to checkit. Hope is spelled proper.

Did you ever ask parents about it and if so, what was their response? I lived a place where member of household told me a relative was shoved down stairs, felt a shove with nobody present. Nobody seen. I consider the person trustworthy and reliable in character whom shared this and she believed something was present on premises. I was told by yet another person the room I occupied in the place was "haunted ", altho I never experienced anything meeting this description, . Not there.

• Anonymous Icon

brennan Feb 11, 2012

If I may ask a question... What about experiences or meeting the people in your life... before life. When I go shopping at Macy's the woman from the counter used to tell me that Tara is waiting for me, I could only get a response while my back was turned, she would reply Tara in your next life.

• dwuagneux Feb 11, 2012

If you haven't read any of Raymond Moody's work, I would suggest it...very interesting. "Start with Life After Life."
    When I was little, we moved when my parents became conviced that our home was occupied by a mischievous unseen presence. Very odd considering that my mother was a scientist and my father a Type A business man. So, I remain curious.

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 09, 2012

My mistake.

Make that John Edward (Crossing Over)

• Anonymous Icon

BECHAMEL Feb 08, 2012

Yes. Jon Edwards! Crossing Over.

• Anonymous Icon

Xristos Feb 07, 2012

Check out Ken Ebert's book "A Theatre of Clouds"

• desertrose Jan 31, 2012

Read anything by George Anderson.

• Anonymous Icon

Jim Centi Jan 30, 2012

Humble,

As charliet indicates there is a lot of information on both kinds of afterlife encounters.

Assuming that you may be interested in the experiences of people who have been pronounced dead and later awoke……there is a TV program on the Biography channel every Sunday night at 10pm which seems to be based on considerable research. "I survived......beyond and back".

The individuals telling their stories represent a wide spectrum of society from teenagers to PhD’s in a variety of fields.........Jim

• charliet Jan 27, 2012

Do you seek information on research of proof of the afterlife or of actual encounters - ghost stories if you will. There is a lot of good information on both. I will give suggested readings when I know more of what you want.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS