Discussions

Anonymous Icon

Great Quotes

Posted Oct. 31, 2011 by EthanT in Open

commented on Jan. 2, 2012
by charliet

I thought it might be nice to start a thread where folks can post quotes from people that inspire them. Seems like a lot of folks always enjoy a great quote!

I thought I would start it off with some quotes from Swami Vivekananda, a student of Sri Ramakrishna. I just recently ran into his works again, and much of what he says is in line with some of the thoughts I have been sharing on here lately.

Please share some of your own favorites.

"I am the thread that runs through all these pearls," and each pearl is a religion or even a sect thereof. Such are the different pearls, and God is the thread that runs through all of them; most people, however, are entirely unconscious of it."

"All who have actually attained any real religious experience never wrangle over the form in which the different religions are expressed. They know that the soul of all religions is the same and so they have no quarrel with anybody just because he or she does not speak in the same tongue."

"All is the Self or Brahman. The saint, the sinner, the lamb, the tiger, even the murderer, as far as they have any reality, can be nothing else, because there is nothing else."

"All knowledge that the world has ever received comes from the mind; the infinite library of the universe is in our own mind."

"All that is real in me is God; all that is real in God is I. The gulf between God and human beings is thus bridged. Thus we find how, by knowing God, we find the kingdom of heaven within us."

"All truth is eternal. Truth is nobody’s property; no race, no individual can lay any exclusive claim to it. Truth is the nature of all souls."

"As body, mind, or soul, you are a dream; you really are Being, Consciousness, Bliss (satchidananda). You are the God of this universe."

"As long as we believe ourselves to be even the least different from God, fear remains with us; but when we know ourselves to be the One, fear goes; of what can we be afraid?"

"If you want to have life, you have to die every moment for it. Life and death are only different expressions of the same thing looked at from different standpoints; they are the falling and the rising of the same wave, and the two form one whole."

"Perfection is always infinite. We are the Infinite already. You and I, and all beings, are trying to manifest that infinity."

"True religion is not talk, or doctrines, or theories, nor is it sectarianism. It is the relation between soul and God. Religion does not consist in erecting temples, or building churches, or attending public worship. It is not to be found in books, or in words, or in lectures, or in organizations. Religion consists in realization. We must realize God, feel God, see God, talk to God. That is religion."

"The sages are often ignorant of physical science, because they read the wrong book—the book within; and the scientists are too often ignorant of religion, because they too read the wrong book—the book outside."

• 24 Comments  
  • charliet Jan 02, 2012

" It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt"

Abraham Lincoln

• Jim Centi Dec 22, 2011

Two quotes from Ashleigh Brilliant:

“At the moment you discover that truth which you seek, you will simply be exchanging one illusion for another.”

“I have abandoned my search for truth and am now looking for a good fantasy.”

• desertrose Dec 19, 2011

"Just for today, I will let go of anger
    Just for today, I will let go of worry.
    Today, I will count my many blessings.
    Today, I will do my work honestly.
    Today I will be kind to every living creature."
    ~ The Reiki Principles

• escape Dec 16, 2011

"Principals, I got principals and if you don't like those I got others." Groucho Marx

"Beer proves that God loves us and want's us to be Happy." Ben Franklin

• Eduardo Dec 15, 2011

" A mente que se abre a uma nova ideia, jamais voltará ao seu tamanho original. "
    " Duas coisas são infinitas: o universo e a estupidez humana. Mas, no que respeita ao universo, ainda não adquiri a certeza absoluta."
    " A religião do futuro será cósmica e transcenderá um Deus pessoal, evitando os dogmas e a teologia." >> Albert Einstein <<
    A ciência sem a religião é coxa, a religião sem a ciência é cega, a religião e a ciência sem o homem para direciona-la, simplesmente não existe.

• desertrose Dec 13, 2011

"Some great voice is waiting to be heard who will usher in the Sacred Light of Truth in the dark hours of the nightmare of politics; the voice which will proclaim that God is over all, not God is over."

• Anonymous Icon

EthanT Nov 16, 2011

Lots of great quotes guys - thanks for sharing! I've enjoyed reading throuhg them all.

Here's a few more from Joseph Campbell

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."

"Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy."

"Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls."

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience."

"It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure."

"Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths."

"Participate joyfully in the sorrows of the world. We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy."

• Saoirse Nov 13, 2011

Love that quote about the miracle not being to walk on water! It made me think of a firefighter who survived the collapse of one of the towers, entirely unscathed, and managed to lead a number of other people (who had been trapped in a basement) to safety. I remember him in an interview, talking about hope and moving forward, and although it may not fall under the wisdom of the great ascended masters and all that, he looked straight into the camera and he said roughly, "You need a miracle? I'M your miracle." I have his photo in my wallet now, with that on the back, because I think it's a great thing to remember -- no one ever solved (or survived) anything by sitting around bewailing fate, and waiting for miracles. They solve and survive things by taking what's available and making their own miracles. Maybe someone else would have said it more literarily, but I don't think anyone ever said it more eloquently than he did in those couple of words.

• DeveronL Nov 13, 2011

Thank you for these moments of inspiration. Here are a few of my favorite quotes (many more on the Sanctuary4Humanity.com web site):

"If I were to begin life again, I should want it just as it was; only I would open my eyes a little more." ~Jules Renard

“The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.” ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

“We live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality. We are that reality. When you understand this, you see that you are nothing, and being nothing, you are everything. That is all.” ~ Kalu Rinpoche

“We cannot continue to seek outside ourselves for the things we need from within.” ~ John O’Donohue

“What matters is not the isolated entity, but the space between things, the relationship of things.” ~ Lynn McTaggart— The Bond

"People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. I don't think that's what we are seeking. I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances within our own inner-most being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive." ~ Joseph Campbell

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science.” ~ Albert Einstein

“Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” ~ Rumi

• Anonymous Icon

ladyrainbow Nov 10, 2011

... sorry, Blurb.com is the link.

• Anonymous Icon

ladyrainbow Nov 10, 2011

I love this thread too!

I recently created my own keepsake book of inspirational quotes, along with photographs I’ve taken over the years on blog.com. To find your way to Hope, Loss and Possibilities, type in my first and last name (Julie Crichton) in the search. It’s free to view online in its entirety. If you’re curious, go take a peek.

• Anonymous Icon

hypno1992aha Nov 10, 2011

I liked what the Dalia Lama said when he was asked what his religion was:
    "My religion is simple. My religion is kindness".

I also like what Buddah said:
    Do not believe anything you see written or anything that has been said to you, even if I have said it, unless it goes with your own reasoning and your own common sense".

• Jim Centi Nov 05, 2011

The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy........Steven Weinberg Physicist

• Anonymous Icon

blissful1 Nov 04, 2011

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

-Oscar Wilde

"Do not regret growing older, it is a privilege denied to many."

- Unknown

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

- Albert Einstein

"Let’s pray that the human race never escapes Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere."

- C.S. Lewis

"Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens."

"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair."

- Kahlil Gibran

• Fallensoul Nov 03, 2011

"What is the value of a prolonged life which is wasted, inexperienced by years in this world? Better a moment of full consciousness, because that gives one a start in searching after his supreme interest."
    Bhagavata Purana 2.1.12

"Don't try to be God, try to be godly"

• Anonymous Icon

EthanT Nov 03, 2011

FS, I just saw your post. I guess my 1st Aurobindo quote is rather funny in light of that. According to Aurobindo, maybe that bumper sticker isn't mocking anybody after all :-O

• Anonymous Icon

EthanT Nov 03, 2011

Sri Aurobindo has always has some good ones too, and if you ever feel like reading thousands of pages of Indian Philosophy, he’s your man!

The Atheist is God playing at hide and seek with Himself; but is the Theist any other? Well, perhaps; for he has seen the shadow of God and clutched at it.

The whole world yearns after freedom, yet each creature is in love with his chains; this is the first paradox and inextricable knot of our nature.

What then was the commencement of the whole matter? Existence that multiplied itself for sheer delight of being and plunged into numberless trillions of forms so that it might find itself innumerably.

The meeting of man and God must always mean a penetration and entry of the divine into the human and a self-immergence of man in the Divinity.

What I cannot do now is the sign of what I shall do hereafter. The sense of impossibility is the beginning of all possibilities. Because this temporal universe was a paradox and an impossibility, therefore the Eternal created it out of His being.

Evolution is not finished; reason is not the last word nor the reasoning animal the supreme figure of Nature. As man emerged out of the animal, so out of man the superman emerges.

The supreme truths are neither the rigid conclusions of logical reasoning nor the affirmations of credal statement, but fruits of the soul's inner experience

And what is the end of the whole matter ? As if honey could taste itself and all its drops together and all its drops could taste each other and each the whole honeycomb as itself, so should the end be with God and the soul of man and the universe.

• Anonymous Icon

EthanT Nov 03, 2011

Saoirse,

I think you're probably right about that and Nietzsche definitely has said some things that would make one get that message. But, I remember reading something by him at one time, where he expresses his view that the Eastern religions have not lost the ability to help man achieve a greater potetential, or that they have not lost their transformative power.

Since then, I have taken the message you mention as being directied mainly to the West. Hence the reason he singled out the Christian here:

"The Christian is the man who behaves like everybody else".

However, for some time now, I have been unable to locate where I read this by him. So, it's also entirely possible I am imagining things, lol.

As far as the other quote you mentioned, yes I have seen a few along those lines and like what they're trying to say. In fact, one o the Vivekananda quotes is similar:

"If you want to have life, you have to die every moment for it. Life and death are only different expressions of the same thing looked at from different standpoints; they are the falling and the rising of the same wave, and the two form one whole."

• Fallensoul Nov 03, 2011

"I used to be an atheist until I realized I am GOD!!"

A bumper sticker mocking those who somehow fall into the greatest illusion of thinking themselves to be on the same level as God.

• Saoirse Nov 02, 2011

I think that where he was going with that was that he saw religion as primitive superstition. I think he felt that humans had evolved socially and intellectually beyond the need for it. He was really big on human potential (both physically and intellectually) and the idea that we should be free from superstition and socially imposed morality. Some people take that to the extreme -- Leopold and Loeb blamed Nietzsche for their crimes -- but I think he was all about not letting fear and superstition hold us back from finding our full potential.

Since you're a quote guy... I'm trying to track down a quote I heard someplace years ago, but I don't recall the quote accurately enough to track it down. Something about what's necessary to live fuily is to face death resolutely. Sound at all familiar?

Love some of the ones you've got up there! Einstein seemed so German in temperament and yet, a lot of what he said seems so out of sync with his Teutonic roots. :-)

• Anonymous Icon

EthanT Nov 02, 2011

Good one on the Nietzsche quotes. What's your take on the following ones:

"The Christian is the man who behaves like everybody else"

"God is Dead"

These two, in my mind, always get blown way out of proportion, especially in a way to make inveigh Nietzsche and his works.

But, I always took these two together in what he is trying to say: that much of Western religion has lost its transformative power, and is no longer a way of life for people. Put simply, we just dress up every Sunday (maybe!!), go to church and take a nap, and then forget about "religion" for the rest of the week. "God is Dead" for us in the majority of our lives.

Wikipedia offers this explanation, as well:

"The death of God is a way of saying that humans are no longer able to believe in any such cosmic order since they themselves no longer recognize it. The death of God will lead, Nietzsche says, not only to the rejection of a belief of cosmic or physical order but also to a rejection of absolute values themselves — to the rejection of belief in an objective and universal moral law, binding upon all individuals. In this manner, the loss of an absolute basis for morality leads to nihilism."

I do believe this is one of the dangers of atheism, or of any complete rejection of God.

• Anonymous Icon

EthanT Nov 02, 2011

I also enjoy quotes from some of the founding fathers of physics, especially the ones that show these guys had a rather strong sense of spirituality, contrary to much popular opinion.

Erwin Schrodinger:

"Quantum physics thus reveals a basic oneness of the universe."

"The world is given to me only once, not one existing and one perceived. Subject and object are only one. The barrier between them cannot be said to have broken down as a result of recent experience in the physical sciences, for this barrier does not exist"

Max Planck:

"All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force... We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter."

"Anybody who has been seriously engaged is scientific work of any kind realizes that over the entrance to the gates of the temple of science are written the words: 'Ye must have faith.'"

"Whence come I and whither go I? That is the great unfathomable question, the same for every one of us. Science has no answer to it."

Albert Einstein:

"All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"It was the experience of mystery - even if mixed with fear - that engendered religion."

• Saoirse Nov 01, 2011

I love this thread!

I've always been fond of some of Nietzsche's comments, particularly, "If you look too long into the abyss, the abyss looks also into you," and "Don't seek to hunt monsters, lest you become one."

Also, I think it was James Oberg who said, "An open mind is a virtue -- just not so open that your brains fall out."

• Anonymous Icon

EthanT Oct 31, 2011

By the way the exact topic of the quotes doesn't really matter. Share anything inspiring ;-)

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS