Discussions

Anonymous Icon

Can people cause electrical disturbances?

Posted Sept. 14, 2011 by Inquisitivegirl in Open

commented on Aug. 30, 2014
by NoetPoet

First of all, I will start by saying this is a stretch for me to be writing this...I am a scientist with a Ph.D., so this is a bit out of my realm!

Over the past 24 hours I was feeling VERY emotional and upset, and things started happening. It started with lights going out on the street when I drove under them. (When I was in college and going through and experienced some trauma this happened daily, and repeatedly, I had witnesses).

Then I got to work. I work with engineers with complex equipment. Nothing would work properly for me. Even the very basic equipment. Computers were crashing, running slow. Other equipment just never worked correctly and I made do with it. Then, when someone else took over..without changing anything, everything worked perfectly. The imaging was clear, computer worked smoothly, etc.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? There were so many things that stopped working only for me, it's beyond coincidence and I want to understand (and prevent it from happening again so I can get some work done!). Thank you in advance, and for taking the time to read this.

• 64 Comments  
  • NoetPoet Aug 30, 2014

Leaving aside for one moment the natural human tendencies toward apophenia and selective memory....

What if people only *appear* to be causing electrical disturbances? What if some common underlying factor/s is/are responsible for both making people feel more emotional AND for making electronic devices more prone to malfunctioning? We know that the brain is an electrochemical system, so it stands to reason that it would be susceptible to external electromagnetic influences. Perhaps it may even be the case that the direction of causality is in the opposite direction to what is implied by the topic of this thread, e.g. perhaps electromagnetic devices which are faulty or about to break emit irregular EM patterns which, although not directly detectable by humans, can cause subtle alterations in their neuronal activity?

• Anonymous Icon

Indigowave Aug 30, 2014

Ok hi Inquisitive girl, I work in a healthcare role, science based but I've always had electrical problems...watches just break, car engines just stop and suddenly come back to life at the same time as entire rows of street lights go out, light chandeliers explode above my head, once seven days in a row, I walked into a coffee shops to do some emails and each time as I got to the cashier the coffee machine sent sparks out or the cash register died......where I live now the oven exploded a few weeks ago, the dishwasher did tonight, and both the cars here have had major problems since I've been here.....:-/ it's getting annoying...I recently went on holiday and the lights fused the first night, the I came home and it happened again...watching a friend play music last week, I could feel my energy building up ready to explode, sparks came out of his guitar, and he got a shock, but then I suddenly felt calmer afterwards....... It's crazy and I get really frustrated with it but have no idea how to calm down to prevent it happening....! It only happens when I'm stressed and under pressure...the rest of the time it's fine:-) so, basically it happens to plenty of us and we have no idea what to do about it !

• NoetPoet Aug 02, 2014

@missred

Hi all, I just found this site whilst searching for psychokenisis, or street lamp interference. As others have commented, unless it happens to you, it's easy to dismiss these metaphysical occurrences as some kind of self-aggrandisement, or just plain delusion."

Who has dismissed them? I have already admitted that I have experienced (so-called) street lamp interference myself when I've gone for walks in the evening. It also happens when I drive to work in the morning. No one is saying that these things don't happen, we are just saying that there are other more likely explanations to rule out before we can reasonably consider paranormal causes. What do you mean by "metaphysical" anyway? These events seem to be very physical to me, considering that they involve electronic devices.

"If they only knew what it's like having electrical things break down ad infinitum, each time I'm stressed or upset, they wouldn't want this 'power' for all the tea in China. "

Yes, each time you're stressed or upset. That's the key here. When you're stressed and upset you are more likely to focus on and remember things that go wrong (e.g. appliances breaking), you are more likely to make silly mistakes when using electronic devices because you're distracted, and you're more likely to damage objects by slamming or otherwise manhandle them (this is especially true for objects which contain delicate and finely-tuned electronics).

"Quite apart from the obvious expense, I get very upset that most people prefer to call me barmy than accept that their are laws of physics that haven't as yet been discovered."

Ever heard of Occam's Razor Missread? Do you really think that the most likely explanation is heretofore unknown laws of physics rather than carelessness and selective memory on your part? No wonder people prefer to call you barmy!

• NoetPoet Aug 02, 2014

"Or perhaps it's spirits. Or perhaps it's aliens. Nothing can be discounted."

Or perhaps it's unicorns. Or perhaps it's faeries. Or perhaps it's Cthulhu. I mean, nothing can be discounted right? And the "evidence" is just as strong for Cthulu or unicorns as it is for spirits or aliens.

"If people do choose to discount the paranormal/metaphysical they are being hugely arrogant as they have the temerity to believe that animal life is the only life in existence, anywhere. How sad for them to be so limited."

And thinking that these events are due to "unknown laws of physics" rather than human error *isn't* arrogant?? Incidentally I do not believe that animal life is the only life in existence: I know, for example, that there is also plant and microbial life.

"But it's not only this phenomenon that happens to me. When I was 11, and staying in a children's home for a month, a poltergeist experience h appened in front of everyone, after which those in charge told the other children that I was evil, and to keep away from me. Since then, I've had many other occurences, some massively funny, some not so much - but most of the time there were witnesses."

Anecdotal evidence tends to be one of the poorest types of evidence, particularly when the anecdote involves a vaguely-described event from a long time ago with no third party corroboration, as is the case with your anecdote here. Any chance that children's home was associated with a church?

"It wasn't until relatively recently that I realised certain strange occurences - often concerning my computer! - were messages telling or warning me about specific people/situations. I think that I'd ignored this previously as I was frightened of it, but once you embrace it then the messages [which usually manifest themselves as metaphors, a universal language] begin to make sense."\

Did you fully understand these specific messages only after the event they warned about actually happened? Metaphors are not a universal language, but they are very open to interpretation - particularly when the person reading the metaphor has selection bias and a strong tendency towards apophenia. Can you not see how you are deceiving yourself here?

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Aug 01, 2014

Correlation is not causation.

• Anonymous Icon

missred Aug 01, 2014

Hi all, I just found this site whilst searching for psychokenisis, or street lamp interference. As others have commented, unless it happens to you, it's easy to dismiss these metaphysical occurrences as some kind of self-aggrandisement, or just plain delusion.If they only knew what it's like having electrical things break down ad infinitum, each time I'm stressed or upset, they wouldn't want this 'power' for all the tea in China. Quite apart from the obvious expense, I get very upset that most people prefer to call me barmy than accept that their are laws of physics that haven't as yet been discovered. Or perhaps it's spirits. Or perhaps it's aliens. Nothing can be discounted. If people do choose to discount the paranormal/metaphysical they are being hugely arrogant as they have the temerity to believe that animal life is the only life in existence, anywhere. How sad for them to be so limited.

But it's not only this phenomenon that happens to me. When I was 11, and staying in a children's home for a month, a poltergeist experience h appened in front of everyone, after which those in charge told the other children that I was evil, and to keep away from me. Since then, I've had many other occurences, some massively funny, some not so much - but most of the time there were witnesses.

In answer to @stephaniealisonmay, you probably do get messages in other ways, you just haven't noticed them. It wasn't until relatively recently that I realised certain strange occurences - often concerning my computer! - were messages telling or warning me about specific people/situations. I think that I'd ignored this previously as I was frightened of it, but once you embrace it then the messages [which usually manifest themselves as metaphors, a universal language] begin to make sense.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Jul 17, 2014

Dust can set them off.
    Look it up.

• Anonymous Icon

samstevens Jul 16, 2014

Can any one do this.

Get your self very relaxed, put one of those, meditation you tube spiral movies on.
    put a smoke alarm about 2 and a half meters in front of were your sitting. when you get to the end and you dizzy,
    look at the spoke alarm and zone in on it, Did it go off. This is crazy it happen to me, just at that particular time.
    Scared the c+++ out of me.

Would love some answers

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Jun 21, 2014

This is what passes for evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf0PwpSvK_o

• NoetPoet Jun 20, 2014

@dustproduction,
    They can't put it on Youtube because they keep frying the camera! :p

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Jun 20, 2014

Why are there no videos on these things on YouTube.
    If you have a cell phone take a video and provide a link here once it is posted.

Thanks in advance

• cameronjcw Jun 19, 2014

I can see that this is a really old topic but was interested to see how people are with this subject now, do any of you still have any of these issues!?

I have had issues with electrical applicances blowing up, going on fire, breaking, fuses shorting out for years, as long as I can remember actually and my daughters had a lot of the same experiences, if my mother wears a watch it stops whether its clockwork or battery.

Too much electromagnetic energy in us or around us?? Its been like this for many many years Im approaching 40 now and can remember stuff as far back as 11- 12 years old. Kinda weird!

• Anonymous Icon

stephanieallisonmay Jun 18, 2014

I have been familiar with all these types of things happening to me and it can get quite annoying, in the last 2 months I have replaced my phone screen a total of 4 times, twice for back, twice for front. I am highly intuitive and I have been around people who are spiritually inclined my whole life, I just wish I would receive messages some other way...

• Anonymous Icon

stormydaze May 07, 2014

I am glad to see someone else address this problem. I am also someone who interferes with electrical items. My doctor has problems even using some equipment if I am too close to it. I am constantly having to replace computers, phones, mp3s, and digital cameras. Its nice to know that I am not the only one. My family teases me about it in a nice way but it is still darn irritating, expensive and inconvenient. I would love to hear more ideas and theories if anyone has them. LOL especially since I average about 3-4 phones a year.

• NoetPoet Apr 15, 2014

@ Dustproduction: "Why haven't any of those making claims here been on Letterman's "Stupid Human Tricks?""

We both know the answer to that. It feels better to think that oneself is special, than to *know* that one is not.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Apr 15, 2014

Why haven't any of those making claims here been on Letterman's "Stupid Human Tricks?"
    Please provide some creditable references here, instead of first hand subjective accounts.

• Anonymous Icon

JfDforfree Apr 12, 2014

When I get directly in front of scanners at any given store it wont work but if I step away it will work.Today I had my computer speakers unplugged (I only have them plugged in when watching an online movie) and I stepped on the end of the cord that plugs into my computer and the speakers came on by themselves.Walking not driving under a particular street light right after my sister died it would get super bright and as I walked past it would go back to normal.When my dad passed the doorknob of my room turned several times then opened slightly and then swung open (horrified me btw).I looked and no one was there and I always make sure the door is closed completely but even so the knob wouldnt have turned numerous times then opened on its own.If you dont believe nothing can make you do so but if you have ever witnessed this or experienced it yourself its quiet clear its a gift not all have or believe.

• NoetPoet Mar 31, 2014

@ksanders

Seeing as I know next to nothing about your situation, I'll turn your question back on you:

Can you devise an experiment (or a set of experiments) that you can carry out to test whether the anomolies with your phone are due to your own body, the influence of spirits, or some other cause (e.g. problems with the phone, proximity to other electrical devices, any other plausible possibilities you can think of)?

Feel free to propose experimental set ups on this thread, so that I (and hopefully others!) can offer comments and suggestions about their design and implementation. Then when you are satisfied with your experiment/s set up, carry them out and please report their methods and results here.

One suggestion I would offer to make things easier is to set up experiments which can rule out well-understood possibilities first (e.g. faulty phones). Keep in mind that the anomolies might have more than one cause, so your experiment design should take account of this possibility!

Seeing as IONS is ostensibly a *scientific* institute, why not take a scientific approach ourselves?

• Anonymous Icon

ksanders Mar 31, 2014

I have always had a problem with having electricity in my body. I have the ability to see and hear spirits at times as well. My question is a problem I have been having for a few years now is with each and every cell phone that I have ends up having a load pinging or screeching noise while I am on the phone. I was wondering it the electricity in my body is what is causing this or a spirit trying to communicate with me?

• NoetPoet Jan 06, 2014

"I'm an IT professional who has never harmed a single piece of equipment with ESD, and yet I can stick balloons to my bare skin while grounded with an ESD protection strap."

So I imagine you work in an air conditioned office environment surrounded by a lot of electromagnetic equipment, and that you probably handle a lot of electromagnetic equipment in your day to day work?

"I can't see how anyone would have anything to gain by dismissing these things without explanation."

No one is dismissing things without explanation. Some of us are just trying to rule out more plausible common-sense explanations before we conclude that these things are due to magical powers.

"From what I gather, most people who have this problem just want an explanation and/or some way to fix it. If you're argument is that these things aren't happening to the people who are asking about it, then you shouldn't be here. Neither you, or anyone else will gain by you being in the discussion if you are trying to turn it into and argument instead"

Again, who is arguing that these things aren't happening? Some might offer explanations that you don't personally like, but that is very different from denying that these things are happening altogether.

• Anonymous Icon

AZALA Jan 06, 2014

It's nice to see other people who have these things happen to them. I have the same problems with watches, light bulbs, and static. It's very easy for people to dismiss things that don't happen to them. I've tried to explain away this stuff, and/or ignore it for about 15 years. I still can't wear a watch, I still go through a dozen light bulbs a month, and maintain a static charge at all times. I'm an IT professional who has never harmed a single piece of equipment with ESD, and yet I can stick balloons to my bare skin while grounded with an ESD protection strap. I can't see how anyone would have anything to gain by dismissing these things without explanation. From what I gather, most people who have this problem just want an explanation and/or some way to fix it. If you're argument is that these things aren't happening to the people who are asking about it, then you shouldn't be here. Neither you, or anyone else will gain by you being in the discussion if you are trying to turn it into and argument instead.

• NoetPoet Jan 05, 2014

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_light_interference_phenomenon"

"People are much more likely to notice when a nearby street light turns on or off than they are to notice a light turning on or off at a distance, or a street light in a steady state at any distance[citation needed]. This is compounded by a failure mode of street lights, known as "cycling", in which street lights of the high pressure sodium type turn off and on more frequently at the end of their life cycle."

These periods of cycling are short enough that you can usually notice an affected street lamp turn on/off while passing near or under it at walking pace.

• NoetPoet Jan 04, 2014

Please stay on topic, and keep your double standards to yourself.

• mrmathew1963 Jan 04, 2014

G'day NoetPoet

How many times have you made negative uncivil remarks like this one compared to anyone else in these discussions? It doesn't take the brain of Einstein to work that out so what double standards are you talking about again?

Boredom creates aggressive attitudes like being argumentative all the times as one has way too long to think. The link below is worth a read for everyone concerned because we can all act out in such away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boredom

• NoetPoet Jan 04, 2014

@MrMathew

It was Diana_Trimble who specifically accused me of offering "simplistic dismissals". That is far more uncivil than merely saying "huh". So why don't you drop the double standards for once and lecture her about uncivil language instead? .

G'day NoetPoet

You still don't get it, it wasn't the statement of "“Simplistic dismissals” but the "huh?" afterwards, this kind of negative suggestive remark is uncalled for & one you continually do.

Philosophy assists one to think for themselves, try it NoetPoet, truly because it will help!! Memorising statements & commands from a books doesn't mean one is thinking for themselves & in actual fact probably quite the opposite, philosophy fills in the spaces so one is then able to think for themselves.

Do please try to be a little more civil NoetPeot, I'm not at logger heads with you, all I am trying to do is show others a little bit of wisdom not that I'm big on it myself but I am aware of the problems here sadly enough.

• NoetPoet Jan 04, 2014

@MrMathew

It was Diana_Trimble who specifically accused me of offering "simplistic dismissals". Why don't you lecture her about uncivil language instead? In the mean time, get your facts straight.

• NoetPoet Jan 04, 2014

@Diana_Trimble

“ Also, I was once in an area experiencing electrical storms and my hair (which is naturally curly) was literally out of control like some kind of witch afro! I kid you not, I could not keep the wisps from flying all over the place. I just read that this is bad and means that some of the charge is running through you. Why was it only happening to me and not any of the other people around? So unless you are a person that it has happened to and who figured it out, please don't insult others by saying it's not real! Does anyone know of a way to measure electricity in the body?”

Your “witch afro” is a perfectly natural reaction to a situation like that. Think about it: you were in an electrically charged atmosphere, your hair was charged with electricity, and because your hair has a curly structure it did not go stand straight up but formed an afro. The flying wisps of hair make sense if it was also windy at the time (as it usually is during storms).

When you say it wasn’t happening to any other people around, how many other people are you talking about? Did any of them have long curly hair? Where were they positioned and where were you positioned at the time? What materials were you wearing and what were they wearing? Were you holding on to any conductive objects?

Once again, no one is saying it’s not real. Some are just saying that there are rational explanations for these things, explanations which don’t involve paranormal phenomena. If you interpret this difference of opinion as an insult well then that’s your problem, not mine.

FYI, a link about how to measure the voltage of your body: http://prd34.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/how-to-measure-your-body-voltage-with.html

G'day NoetPoet

RE:"“Simplistic dismissals”, huh? "

Your calling this simplistic & not negatively suggestive at all, it was totally uncalled for, this is totally uncivil. What does being civil mean NeotPeot? Just try it for once & one might be surprised in how a constructive a discussion can be.

I think IONS needs to desperately stop this sort of negative & obviously aggressive behaviour before it's too late.

• NoetPoet Jan 04, 2014

@ MrMathew

"You have just released to wrath of Khan upon yourself."

Yeah, trust you to consider mere questions a form of attack.

• NoetPoet Jan 04, 2014

@Diana_Trimble

“I've been looking into this more and find other sites that talk about "electrical people" and many of them report having been zapped with voltage charges. This caused me to think about a time when I was 11 and hanging out at a stables and accidentally grabbed a hold of an electrical fence. It zapped me but didn't exactly hurt. In fact, I think I must have liked it because I deliberately did it a second time! Did this do something to me?”

More questions:

1) What proportion of these “electrical people” has reported receiving electrical shocks?

2) Is this proportion significantly different to the proportion of people in the general population who receive electrical shocks?

3) When did these “electrical people” receive their shocks?

4) How often have these people each received such shocks?

5) How big do these electric shocks have to be in order to count, or is that solely up to the person reporting the electric shock?

6) Do you realize that, once objects (including humans) are given electrical charges, those charges dissipate within a matter of days at most?

Re: your own shocking experience, I imagine it didn’t hurt because you were stunned at the time. It might also be the case that the sensation of being electrocuted like that was unfamiliar to you, so you didn’t realize that the time that you should interpret it as pain. Did it do something to you? Well it might have slightly damaged some of your organs.

G'day Diana

You have just released to wrath of Khan upon yourself.

The problem Diana is we all have a slightly different reasoning process & it's nearly impossible for anyone to totally understand someone else's reasoning process however when we come across a person or persons that have a totally opposite reasoning process than we, the more closed minded the reasoning is the more they will be defensive of their own personal beliefs & will attack when their egos are threatened.

The answer is..............maybe be more aware.

• NoetPoet Jan 04, 2014

@Diana_Trimble

“A friend recently upgraded her iPhone and gave me her old one. Within 3 days it had malfunctioned and had to be repaired. I had it for another day and this time when it malfunctioned the repair people said it was fried, beyond repair. She had never had a problem with it in the prior 3 years.”

So…you got a 3-year-old second hand iPhone and it broke within days? Well gee what a shocker! Are you aware that the standard warranty period for new iPhones is 1 year? Are you aware that Apple has a reputation for intentionally designing products that break easily and quickly become obsolete? The only thing unusual about this situation is that you’re friends old iPhone managed to stay in working condition for that long!

“I would say 50% of all electrical devices that I have ever purchased - printers, computers, phones, electronic music equipment - have turned out to be "lemons" that malfunction straight out of the box or die in a month or so.”

Well if you’re buying electrical devices second hand and giving them the Bear Grylls treatment, then this is not the least bit suprising!

• NoetPoet Jan 04, 2014

@Diana_Trimble

“I returned 3 camcorders last year within days of purchase as they didn't work properly. One of them was a clip on type that I wore on the left pocket and tried to film running through the forest. It worked for about one minute and then would never even turn on again. I realize that there is a lot of cheaply made crap out there nowadays but I definitely, as in noticeably to others not just myself, seem to have an uncanny knack for purchasing the factory reject.”

Questions:

1) Where did you buy the camcorders? Was it a second-hand shop?

2) Did you buy the camcorders on sale?

3) What brand and model were the camcorders? Were they cheap and/or old?

4) Did it occur to you that trying to use a camcorder while running through rough terrain might not be the best thing for the camcorder’s delicate electronics? I know that iPods can be damaged beyond repair just by wearing them while you jog.

5) What did you do with the other 2 camcorders before you returned them? I’m not just talking about when you turned them on; for example, did you or someone else slam them down, chuck them in the back of the car when you bought them, or leave them near magnets?

6) Given that there is indeed a lot of cheap crap out there (because it’s good for business), do you think your uncanny knack for purchasing crap might not really be so uncanny?

• NoetPoet Jan 04, 2014

@Diana_Trimble

“I've had 4 light bulbs blow out as soon as I touched the on switch, just in the last month, in different locations. 2 were brand new straight out of the box. First they make a very loud popping sound.”

Yes I seem to have a lot of light bulbs blow out shortly after I install them too. But I also have more which work for a long time without incident. But in the interests of not “dismissing” your experiences, let me ask some questions:

1) Are you sure you’re buying light bulbs with the right wattage? If the wattage is too small then the light bulbs are bound to blow out shortly after installation, because the current will overheat them. This would also explain the popping sound.

2) How cold and draughty is your house, generally speaking? Sudden exposure to cold temperatures can create a big temperature differential which can make light bulbs explode.

3) Do you have any leaks or unusual sources of moisture in your house? Getting water on hot light bulbs can also cause them to explode.

4) Do these exploding light bulbs occur when attached to certain lamp fittings or power outlets? This might indicate an issue with power fluctuation or faulty equipment, which can also lead to light bulbs exploding.

5) What brands were these exploded light bulbs? Were they cheap and/or no-name brands? As the saying goes “you get what you pay for”. Moreover it would not surprise me in the least if light bulb companies deliberately sold a small but significant proportion of faulty bulbs in order to increase sales.

6) What kind of bulbs are blowing out? Are they halogens, incandescent, or CFLs?

• NoetPoet Jan 04, 2014

Dear Diana,

“Simplistic dismissals”, huh? Well if by “simplistic” you mean reasonable and thoughtful, and by “dismissal” you mean asking relevant questions and suggesting more plausible explanations rather than immediately and unreservedly accepting people’s unsubstantiated stories, then yes, I suppose I have offered “simplistic dismissals”.

“I can't speak to the streetlight phenom but as to the blowing lightbulbs, abnormal incidence of electrical equipment malfunctions, watches breaking, etc., this is definitely a real thing.”

No one is saying that it isn’t real thing. The point of contention is *how* these things happen, no the fact that they do (occasionally) happen.

“As I said in my post before, my incidents do not seem to correspond to any particular mood or frame of mind. This fact discounts not only those who say it happens when they're angry or stressed, but also the lazy skeptics who dismiss the whole thing by pointing out that when angry or stressed one is more likely to notice irritating things like computers crashing.”

Well I don’t know which “lazy skeptic” dismissed the whole thing by saying it was due to anger and stress, but it definitely wasn’t me. FYI I often notice certain streetlights dim when I walk past them, and these dimming incidences do not seem to correspond to any particular mood or mind frame either (well, at least not to MY particular mood or mind frame). But I also notice that 1) it tends to be certain streetlights which do this, and 2) I go for walks after dark a lot more than most other people. Between these two considerations, I would say there is plenty of room for a plausible explanation that doesn’t involve psychic influences, wouldn’t you agree?

• Anonymous Icon

Diana_Trimble Jan 04, 2014

I decided to check back to see if there were any useful posts since December. I have to say that I'm just as irritated by the simplistic dismissals of people like "noet poet" as I am by the new agey explanations. I can't speak to the streetlight phenom but as to the blowing lightbulbs, abnormal incidence of electrical equipment malfunctions, watches breaking, etc., this is definitely a real thing. As I said in my post before, my incidents do not seem to correspond to any particular mood or frame of mind. This fact discounts not only those who say it happens when they're angry or stressed, but also the lazy skeptics who dismiss the whole thing by pointing out that when angry or stressed one is more likely to notice irritating things like computers crashing. I've had 4 light bulbs blow out as soon as I touched the on switch, just in the last month, in different locations. 2 were brand new straight out of the box. First they make a very loud popping sound. I returned 3 camcorders last year within days of purchase as they didn't work properly. One of them was a clip on type that I wore on the left pocket and tried to film running through the forest. It worked for about one minute and then would never even turn on again. I realize that there is a lot of cheaply made crap out there nowadays but I definitely, as in noticeably to others not just myself, seem to have an uncanny knack for purchasing the factory reject. A friend recently upgraded her iPhone and gave me her old one. Within 3 days it had malfunctioned and had to be repaired. I had it for another day and this time when it malfunctioned the repair people said it was fried, beyond repair. She had never had a problem with it in the prior 3 years. I would say 50% of all electrical devices that I have ever purchased - printers, computers, phones, electronic music equipment - have turned out to be "lemons" that malfunction straight out of the box or die in a month or so. I've been looking into this more and find other sites that talk about "electrical people" and many of them report having been zapped with voltage charges. This caused me to think about a time when I was 11 and hanging out at a stables and accidentally grabbed a hold of an electrical fence. It zapped me but didn't exactly hurt. In fact, I think I must have liked it because I deliberately did it a second time! Did this do something to me? Also, I was once in an area experiencing electrical storms and my hair (which is naturally curly) was literally out of control like some kind of witch afro! I kid you not, I could not keep the wisps from flying all over the place. I just read that this is bad and means that some of the charge is running through you. Why was it only happening to me and not any of the other people around? So unless you are a person that it has happened to and who figured it out, please don't insult others by saying it's not real! Does anyone know of a way to measure electricity in the body?

• mrmathew1963 Dec 31, 2013

G'day DJA12

A number of years ago I got a computer & smashed it on the floor when it was acting up at a crucial time, the electrical device reacted to my disturbance, is this what we are talking about here? Joking!!

We are full of electrical impulses, some more than most so yes I would presume some of us could cause a reaction with electrical goods & appliances however I have never experienced this myself accept with the computer. -:)

I used to build/fix computers & you had to be very carful with handling the components because of static discharge, you wouldn't believe what I saw other people do while they were building such devices.

• DJA12 Dec 31, 2013

This has been an eye opening discussion. I myself have never had happen to me what others have. I have read though how Uri Geller had such a strong magnetic field that he made a compass needle move when he entered a scientists room to be evaluated. I have also read, I believe it was from Dean Radin, that psychokinmetic effects usually are found with teenagers who are very emotional. I loved the response involving Chakras. This I will explore more. Happy New Year everyone

• Anonymous Icon

wbilly3814 Dec 30, 2013

i agree with noetpoet, i've worked in lab environments for 25 years, and when things seem to be going wrong right and left, it is at the worst possible time when everyone is stressed; people start making mistakes, push the wrong buttons, walk away from consoles forgetting to shut programs and subroutines down; crashing hard drives, equipment failures... makes me and others agree that we notice problems we ordinarily ignore in our out of work environment, such as banging my fist on the damned router instead of pushing the reset button. and the list goes on.

dr radin has spent a lot of effort in trying to measure any effects we have on our environment and certainly hasn't noticed anything quite that macroscopic.

just a couple of centuries ago we thought God was angry with us (individually) and thus bad things would and did happen. this is the same thing, just bumped up a couple of centuries.

• NoetPoet Dec 16, 2013

"Over the past 24 hours I was feeling VERY emotional and upset, and things started happening. It started with lights going out on the street when I drove under them. (When I was in college and going through and experienced some trauma this happened daily, and repeatedly, I had witnesses)."

Street lights suddenly go out (or dim) fairly often, perhaps you are just more inclined to notice it when you are stressed? Do lights or any other electrical equipment around your home go haywire when you go near them, particularly when you're stressed? I imagine a car would put out a much stronger electromagnetic field than an human body (stressed or not), so even if it isn't just confirmation bias on your part then it might be due to your car.

"Then I got to work. I work with engineers with complex equipment. Nothing would work properly for me. Even the very basic equipment. Computers were crashing, running slow. Other equipment just never worked correctly and I made do with it. Then, when someone else took over..without changing anything, everything worked perfectly. The imaging was clear, computer worked smoothly, etc. "

Again this could be you just noticing it more, e.g. when you're feeling frustrated and impatient everything seems to take longer. It could *also* be due to human errors which were both caused, and rendered unnoticeable to you by your stressed-out distracted state of mind.

• frequencytuner Dec 16, 2013

A good point to note is that depending on where you are, the base frequency of the electrical power used is 60 hertz (cycles per second). Think of a tuning fork, if you have a fork tuned to 60 hz and strum a guitar at the same frequency the fork will begin to resonate with no physical contact made to it. This is due to the energy of that frequency within the air that matches the fork's tuning frequency.

The chakras of the human body operate at harmonic intervals and this frequency is included within the human body's electrical field. 60hz resonates with the sacral charka. Most electrical equipment in North America operate at 60hz. Strong fluctuations emitted from an individual can cause surges, spikes and even vacuum the energy to and from electrical equipment.

• frequencytuner Dec 16, 2013

The human body operates on electrical energy. This energy is circulated throughout the body the same way blood flows through the the arteries and veins. As we have a heart that pumps blood, we also have glands that pumps hormones and chakras that 'pump' energy (lay-person analogy). When we suffer a physical wound and open an artery, for example, blood will squirt out. When we have an internal injury, like a blood clot, heart attacks, strokes etc can result. The energy within the body operates very similarly, in principle. A person can have the flow of energy blocked, a chakra center not functioning, which can cause a lack of or pent up energy, emotion and/or physical pain.

As most on this site understand, all things are connected at the energetic level. That being said, the energy within the body itself in not isolated from the world around the body, but is rather working in a delicate harmony with it symbiotically (depending on each other). With training and practice a person can learn to interact consciously with this energy 'matrix'. Some, as have bee described in this thread, can do this without intention, simply due to the highly charged and tuned state of that individual's nature. Others dedicate their lives to this innate nature of energetic communication.

• Anonymous Icon

Diana_Trimble Dec 13, 2013

OK, first of all I am not with those who think this has anything to do with either "intention", nor emotional distress, nor telling your machines you love them, nor mercury being in retrograde. But I am very interested indeed in anybody who has a solid scientific explanation for why certain people may seem to experience significantly higher rates of equipment failure than others. I am starting to feel like frikkin "Carrie" - except that I can't control this crap and it doesn't appear to have any advantages. Believe me, if I could send lightning zaps to destroy my enemies I'd be well up for it but this is not like that. Rather, I experience an ABNORMAL amount of equipment failure, particularly electronics, but wind-up watches too. I gave up wearing a watch years ago because of this. I also seem to have bad luck with lightbulbs. But the worst part, as a musician, is the electronic equipment and computer failure. I have had shit actually catch on fire when I'm in the recording studio and one band I worked with used to send me "to get coffee" whenever there was a weird buzz that couldn't be located or eradicated. It would go away when I left the room. I am not into any new age crap and do not think the answer is to be found there. So far, magnetism seems to be the most interesting suggestion. I also have a hard time with touchscreens such as are on ticket machines and mobile phones, especially the more complicated ones. I thought maybe it could have something to do with body temperature if they were thermally activated. I seem to remember discovering that my resting temperature is slightly before normal. If it's magnetism, what could cause it other than a lightning strike? I have not been hit by lightning. I do have heart arythmia, caused by an illness 20 years ago, but actually this stuff happened even before that. Maybe not as much but I can't be certain. Other than just putting it down to extremely bad luck, I am searching for a real reason as to why I experience such an incredibly high prevalence of electrical equipment breaking down or malfunctioning around me. It's driving me up the wall!

• Tucsonwisewoman Aug 09, 2013

I just joined this group today. I am a hands on healer, Channeler, Empath and go to the other dimensions nightly. I have been on ships and they have come here to see me all my life.
    My loving good friend who is a Shaman found this site for me. I break phones, watches, computers, etc.

When I was a teen in S.F. we would go to the Beach to"make out". The 60's and 70's I never failed to break my passionate kissing partners watch. Some times even the car.I also was able to put my hands on the dashboard of a car that wouldn't start and ask the car lovingly to start, everybody drove beaters in those days. Well the car started and off we went ,so did my friends ,scared..
    I believe as a teen my sensual energy could break anything with a battery.

Now as a mature woman who tries to " Heal with Love not destroy"
    I still break phones .When my emotions are MAD/ANGRY and I am arguing with anyone on my cell phone. The phone gets hot, and hotter and self destructs. I read a post here of someone breaking 3 phones in a summer. I feel for you .I also read about Mercury Retrograde.
    Yes don't mess around with electronics when in Mercury Retro. You will be sorry.
    I have followed "The Good Timing Guide by Madeline Gerwick" for over 10 Years. This is a business astrology Calendar Book or online Calendar.
    I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy 4 phone and activated the phone on a RED DAY with means RED outcome rethink or redo, LAY LOW.

I knew better, I blessed the new phone and thanked the phone for coming to me. Such a smart beautiful phone yah yah yah.....
    The Tech had problems, big problems activating it. My beautiful Phone was activated for 3 full hours .
    Then it flew out of my hand hit the tile floor and BENT the body of phone and Shattered the glass face.
    All I could do was laugh.
    I emailed Madeline and she said" if you know better and go against your knowledge, you get wacked harder than someone who isn't aware."
    Well it has its good side to this energy. I have a presence that is still at 61 very magnetic???

• Billgreenjeans Aug 07, 2013

I once owned a Bulova accutron watch, which has no battery, which would run for a few minutes and then stop. I sent it back and they returned it with a note to not wear it on the underside of my wrist but on top of my wrist. I had never wore it on the underside. I finally gave up on the watch. There my be many explanations for why it would not function correctly. Bulova didn't know what was the problem.
    @ Saoirse. Your SL explanation sound good in theory, however I have had it happen walking down the street alone with no cars approaching at anytime. One by one as I approached another SL it would go out and then come back on as I approached the next one. I have my own theory about how that happens for me, but not necessarily for others. I am anxious to read the book posted by Jason K Norris.
    Human Spontaneous combustion is another possible electrical phenomena that is as yet unexplained.

• Anonymous Icon

GailN Aug 05, 2013

I guess so. I can't wear a battery powered watch because batteries last a maximum of 3 days on me. My mother had the same problem.

I know that my husband incessantly complains and stresses over his miserable computer, but when I sit in front of it to see what the problem is, there is no problem. It went away.

I know that I once owned a car. It was an Audi. I called it my Audi Doodie. I really liked it. My ex-husband hated it. He could never get it to start. I tried to explain it to him but he didn't believe me. I would go outside, sit in the car. Say good morning to it. Tell it that it was time to wake up. Turn the key. The car would start. We finally sold it because it would only start for me.

• Anonymous Icon

juiceboxtango Aug 01, 2013

I don't quite have a cure but I can tell you what helps my boss. When she's very high energy and when worrying or stressing over something she ALWAYS makes our computers glitch. I have a very calm energy (which is what makes us a good team) and when I am around computers at the same time she is and she's going crazy I can keep the computer the computer functioning due to off setting her. We only noticed this recently when we were working on a project.
    She had just let someone go and was very upset about it and very stressed. Her son was working on a computer next to us and feeds off his mother's energy. They have very much the same energy. His computer started glitching the more he felt her stress. It eventually froze. I (not being a believer in her high energy computer glitching theory) simply asked if this was true why was my computer not glitching? She stated it's because I had a very calm energy which I shrugged off. A couple minutes later I got an email from the client about a hardship they were going through. My heart reached out to them and my stress level rose because there was nothing I could do to help them. As soon as I was finished reading the email the computer started glitching like crazy! Jumping screens, freezing, flashing, weird stuff. As soon as I calmed myself down, the computer immediately went back to normal.
    We believe my energy offsets hers. Even when I am upset I never make computer's glitch and this computer in particular is not known for glitching. We have to believe that is the only explanation for it. So one thing you can do to assist is to find someone with a very calm energy who can be a buffer between you and your electronics =)

• Kelly LaCombe Jan 04, 2013

You are not alone...and you can shift your thought if that helps.

• Anonymous Icon

Smooog Dec 23, 2012

I'd like to share my experiences, and am also seeking a solution to this long-time problem.

I have worked many jobs where the computers I have used keep breaking down. The computer repair guy used to follow me around at my jobs. Once I shut down 6 in just one day!!

During my 20s and 30s I was "uncomfortably" clairvoyant; not sure if there is a connection here or not.
    I didn't like the clairvoyance, even though many folks said I should make a living at it.
    Instead, I asked inside that it go away.
    This took many years, and now I believe it's gone; at least I hope it is.
    I no longer entertain clairvoyant feelings, and am more peaceful as a result of this.

When I was about 40, a car passed by me with a loud muffler. Before I knew it, I was about one foot off the pavement.
    I felt the electrical current run into me from the underside of my right palm. This is what I imagine it's like to be hit by lightning; just not as severe.

Currently, I am having these issues with all electronic devices. I am on my 4th new cell phone in 3 months.
    I'm hoping they will give me yet another new one tomorrow. So far, there is no explanation as to what's happening to these cell phones.
    The computer and printer I have seem to have "minds of their own".
    I have my computer repaired remotely on a regular basis, and have a one-year warranty.
    They are surprised at how often I call.

On another note, I've had a pacemaker for 6 years, and the cardiologist wonders why the battery is lasting so much longer than they usually do in other people. They estimated 6-7 years when the pacemaker was installed; currently they estimate that I have 7 years left, and have had the pacemaker for 6 years already.

I'm a bit distraught, as I don't know how to control this electrical field. And buying new electrical equipment is not solving this issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how -- realistically -- this can be addressed or solved?

I'm open to almost anything at this point.

Could it be related to 2 near-death experiences?

I'm not as interested in where it came from, as I am in finding a solution.

Many thanks to those who've had the patience to read this.

--David--

• telephoenician Sep 19, 2012

When I walk past radio receivers they make a strange "vvvvrrrr" sound. I destroy watches, LED turn black. My friend and I once bought matching Eddie Bauer watches (high quality) and after sending my to the manufacturer twice to be repaired (bend hands), my friend gave me her watch to wear. Broke it too. I was struck by lightning when I was 11. Could that have something to do with it? I dunno.

Strange, too - So much synchronicity. Curiouser and curiouser. I don't know how to put in to words what just happened.

Best,
    telephoenician

• Anonymous Icon

Sky Walker Sep 25, 2011

Well.. they say in astrology that mercury has to do with electronics and communication technology ... So it is possible that you have some aspect of mercury that is bringing about those electronic misfunction probabiliites to place .. My laptop crashed when there was something to do with mercury .. and that crash was major .... Just to bring in this idea ...

I hope you are not experiencing other symptoms commonly associated with kundalini, such as sudden shifts in consciousness, involuntary jerks / release of emotions etc .. Some people have reported that to happen .. I know a pilot who gave up her job for sometime when electronics began to be fried out around her .. But fortunately for her , that too passed on ... So have no worries . Such things happen :D what else can I say :)

• Anonymous Icon

Inquisitivegirl Sep 17, 2011

I like your way of thinking Gretchen..thanks for your response. It is much better to focus on the positive...

• Gretchen Dreisbach Sep 16, 2011

Yes, everyone's vibration is rising on this planet with the new energy coming in...(which is also causing a purging of that which can't handle the new energy)... If a person's field is that strong with the lower frequency of anger or anxiety or fear, or any of the 'upsets' think what it will be like at the highest frequency of LOVE! ...(and what a person could do with that energy!)
    In ancient times they had harmonics chambers to rejuvinate the body temple as needed..maybe it is a good time to bring those back? ...
    (just sayin...)...with love from Gretchen Grace

• truthseeker999 Sep 16, 2011

Dear all,

I know that a lot of research was done in this regards in Russia (I have some materials but I need to look for the names of the researchers). I believe that it is all connected with your brain activity. When someone uses mainly right hemisphere of the brain (most women) then this person can process 10 in the 9th power of units of information per second. Thus when a person using a right hemisphere is really worrying or having a powerful thought, the high frequency brain can cause malfunction of electronic equipment and such.

I had a multimedia projector once. I went hiking with my friends. For a few days we had no cell phone reception. When we finally did get the reception, I called my girlfriend and she told me that she really worried about me and by the way - "your multimedia projector broke down" (it was only 2 month old). The lamp in the projector just failed.

I also know another girl that has the same problems with electronic equipment all the time + she worries about a lot of things.

With the frequency of the world increasing I think these kind of things will be happening to more people.

Have a great weekend.

Tom.

p.s. If you know how to really use your brain, you follow the laws of Nature and the mission of your spirit, then health, success in business and relationships are just side effects....

• Saoirse Sep 15, 2011

William Roll studied it extensively, years ago. Because the word "poltergeist" implies the involvement of ghosts or spirits, he never used it, but instead referred to it as "recurrent spontaneous psychokinesis" or RSPK. He was convinced that it was magnetic in origin and that the force was a spiral field emanating outward from the source ( the individual responsible). He came to that conclusion when a study he was doing gave him unexpected results. He expected to find that the closer an object was to the individual, the farther it would move. He found exactly the opposite. I don't know how sound his "studies" were though. I haven't read anything about them in years, and remember them being pretty casual, with plenty of room to allow for hoaxing.

• charliet Sep 15, 2011

HMMM!! Reading these experiences makes me wonder if this has a connection to the "poltergeist phenomenon", I have limited knowledge on this, does anyone here have any good / true information on this?

Charliet

• Anonymous Icon

maalkvinne20 Sep 15, 2011

When I was a teenager I had the streetlight phenomenon happen to me constantly. It would happen when I was driving AND when I was walking. It would happen with other lights and electronics such as TVs as well, which would go off or on spontaneously. When I get really upset I have what seem to be electrical "flare-ups" where my car won't start, or computer equipment won't work. I can go back to my car a while later and it starts fine, or the computer works fine etc.

• F_Alexander Sep 15, 2011

Thanks for sharing that charliet, I hadn't given these kinds of things a second look before. Now I'm paying more attention to all those family stories of relatives who can't wear watches or be trusted with electronics :-) Looking for points of commonality.

• charliet Sep 14, 2011

Re the mention of the "non working watch" by Saoirse, this has been common for years. I remember many stories about this, people would put it off as having high magnetism in their body. My own experience with this was my father, he could not wear a wrist watch, they would simply stop. These watches all worked fine for my brother and I, give it back to dad and it would stop within a few hours. He used a pocket watch instead, I have it now and it still works great. Coincidence and chance don't appear to be the case here, my brother and I got a few nice watches until dad finally gave up and bought the pocket watch.
    As a side note, my father was struck by lightening at one time in his life, perhaps this had some bearing on this.

Charliet

• F_Alexander Sep 14, 2011

I've heard stories much like your situation before actually, also occurring when a person is going through emotional distress. In the framework I've been raised with at least this scenario is seen as the result of a person's "quantum undulations," or the actions of their "emotional envelope" as the Chinese might say. They would say that our quantum body accumulates and reflects the patterns of those emotions we experience in our daily life, and carries the capacity to affect other quantum systems.

I remember that there was a definite tendency for your kind of experience to affect people for brief periods during their late teens or beginning couple years of their twenties. Some occult groups viewed those years as a kind of "final developmental stage" in respects to the interface between one's physical and quantum body. Perhaps intensity distressing and abnormal patterns of action within or between our quantum and classical bodies can cause some people's systems to affect subtler matter in unpredictable ways.

Those people I know of who have become immune to electricity or capable of other "superhuman" feats have all had one thing in common: they experienced a moment of intense emotional distress recently before discovering the change in their functioning.
    Happily I have not heard so far of a case like yours recurring later on, but then again I had only heard of experiences in the 18-21 age range before. So hopefully it shouldn't be a new trend for you or anything... but then there is always a chance of superpowers ^_^

Good luck though! Good luck with the science, and may you have some emotionally soothing times ahead : )

• Anonymous Icon

Inquisitivegirl Sep 14, 2011

Saoirse- What you said about the streetlights makes sense to me.

As for the other devices...well at least they were all working well today. I'm still quite puzzled by the behavior from the other day, they were behaving way outside the norm..and it was multiple instruments. And only when I was the operator...just plain strange...

• Saoirse Sep 14, 2011

A lot of people think they're making streetlights go out, but when it's looked at empirically, it has thus far never panned out. There are, however, a number of things that can make it appear that way. For example, you mention that the lights go out when you drive under them. This is very common. It happens because the lights have light sensors in them, so that they come on when it gets dark, and go off when it's daylight. Quite often, light from a car's headlights will reflect from the road surface at just the right angle to hit the sensor, fooling the streetlight momentarily into thinking it's daylight. Also, a variety of issues can cause streetlights to flicker or go out more or less at random. As you may be aware, depending on your field of expertise, human memory is very selective. Input needs to go from sensory memory to short term memory and finally into long term memory. What we attend to or find relevant moves along, and other things tend to be lost. The instances where you went under a streetlight and it went out are more meaningful and relevant to you than the times you went under a streetlight and nothing happened. Therefore, you're likely to remember the times it happens and forget the times it doesn't. This can make it seem as if it happens all the time, when in fact it doesn't.

As far as affecting smaller devices with more sensitive electronics at much closer range, I wouldn't want to speak to that one, because I don't know enough about it. I know my mother didn't own a watch for years because they always stopped working. Finally she got a watch pendant and had better luck. But was it coincidence? I couldn't say.

• Jason K. Norris, PhD(c) Sep 14, 2011

Dear Inquisitivegirl, the phenomena with street lights going out while you pass by them is known as Street Light Interference, of SLI. People who experience this phenomena are referred to as " SLIders." It usually occurs instantaneously with no conscious intention.

Here is a link to a PDF of a book that was published by Hilary Evans of the Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena back in the 1990's. Current research is limited, but there are a lot of resources online for further information.

Here's the download ("The SLI Effect"):
    http://paranormal.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=paranormal&cdn=newsissues&tm=444&f=00&su=p284.12.336.ip_p504.3.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.assap.org/newsite/Docs/sli.pdf

Joyous Vibrations...

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS