Discussions

If There Was A Book Supposedly Written (directly) by God, How Would I Go About Reading It?

Posted April 17, 2011 by DyckDyck in Open

commented on April 28, 2011
by DyckDyck

Can I find a way to learn something not based on what I already know? Is it even possible to be so open and humble (innocent) that I can weaken or eliminate my conditioning (impressions) that seem to color or govern my every act and thought? Must I always be propelled to 'do something' (consciously) with what I am learning?

What is the process of taking in new information... discernment, validity, testing, reasonableness, etc.?

After considerable time pondering how to do it, I began reading such a book. My instinct was to 'pour it over me' without doing anything more... to see what happens. Perhaps I'll say more about this later.

• 8 Comments  
  • DyckDyck Apr 28, 2011

Frequencytuner, I like your metaphor to inhale and exhale... and ease.

• frequencytuner Apr 27, 2011

I have to say, the book of God is a wonderful concept. Reading a page is like inhaling and turning the page is like exhaling. If the 'book of God' is harder to read than breathing I'd say you are trying too hard.

• DyckDyck Apr 27, 2011

Oh my. This is perplexing. It seems I'm in over my head and am unable to illuminate my question sufficiently.

Apparently it matters not- the intention of question, however.

As lots of answers & great certainty abound.

So, I'm learning in unintended ways about unexpected things.

• slowlygetnthar Apr 23, 2011

Follow the wind. G*d/All that Is/Y*hw*h/universal energy is invisible, yet it touches/moves everything.

Its only tangible script is love that arises in your heart. Once written, that love is eternal--won't fade away.

So, read what moves you... What touches your heart? What is beautiful? What stops you dead in your tracks? What makes you laugh? When bad things happen, isn't it the love you feel for other beings and our planet--that is at the bottom of the anger, grief, and horror you feel? So, follow love...radiate it...and be ever-cognizant of Baudelaire who said, "We walk through forests of physical things that are also spiritual things that look on us with affectionate looks..."

The book is all around you.

• DyckDyck Apr 20, 2011

I enjoyed reading the responses so far. Thank you!

"We each have all the knowledge we will ever need, within." To answer "No Way" shuts off a question. But, if this idea were to remain open couldn't it imply (observing our current state of misery) that if we do have it all, we do not 'realize' even a tiny piece of what we 'know'? How could this be possible? If the spiritual journey is all about exactly that... a journey inward to realize what one 'knows'. And if that were 'everything' that could be named whatever one calls God.

This is not intended as a religious proclamation. It's playful exploration and challenge with/to open minds. Serious but light-hearted exploration does take notice of words that weaken inquiry, like: Never, Can't, Will, Always, Should, Has to, Must...

Sanaea

When You awoke,
    You became the Knower of Yourself,
    And because You are Everything,
    You became the Knower of All Things.

Knower of the past, present and the future,
    All Knowing,
    Infinitly Knowing,
    You are Sanaea, Knowing All Things.

Excerpt- Book: Meditation and Prayers on 101 Names of God
    by Michael Kovitz (more at http://amzn.to/aN6S0m)

• cprize Apr 19, 2011

God doesn't write books, people do, people inspired and Guided by their dreams or visions (Numbers 12:6). If you want to read something inspired that way that takes us through the next 20 yrs and beyond read this set. http://www.pacificway.org/printsofpeace.pdf The ebook version will be available in a few more days here, http://storefront.buyorsell.it/?rm=view_item;item_num=107

• Anonymous Icon

mppulley Apr 18, 2011

I think we do have the ability to learn with innocence, but I think it's an extremely difficult process. Acquiring new knowledge, and how we interpret information, is always based on the sum of our expreriences and previous knowledge. To learn with innocence, we must first un-learn what we think we already know. A little skepticism is always healthy, but skeptics too often close their minds to any new possibilities. The process of un-learning is probably even more difficult than learning. As far as using new information is concerned: Consciously, we can simply learn for the sake of knowing without planning to put into practice what we know. However, our subconscious will use any and all knowledge to 'push' the conscious to react a certain way to a given situation.

• Fallensoul Apr 18, 2011

Through a teacher.

"Can I find a way to learn something not based on what I already know?"
    Well DyckDyck, thats what learning kind of means. :)
    The standard way of learning something is to acquire knowledge from someone who does know, an authority on the subject matter. e.g. if we want to learn about Quantam Mechanics we can learn under a authoratitive teacher in Quantam Mechanics, e.g. Dr Amit Goswami. Either directly from him, or someone/institution who you have faith that is true to the knowledge that Amit Goswami is teaching. Now if in 12th grade and you try to read Dr Amit Goswami's textbook by yourself, you may easily become confused because the knowledge may be above one's head to digest at the current level.

Similarly to learn from a perfect source of knowledge the same process is applied. One requires a teacher who has practically realized the knowledge in that book and is practicing it. If you try to understand the book yourself you may well misunderstand. The teacher may not be perfect, but he may be able to repeat the same knowledge from a perfect source. Just like a child may not understand higher grade mathematics, but if the Father teaches the child that 1+1=2 and the child repeats that to someone else. The child, although imperfect in their knowledge, has just disseminated perfect knowledge as accepted by the father.

"Is it even possible to be so open and humble (innocent) that I can weaken or eliminate my conditioning (impressions) that seem to color or govern my every act and thought?"
    Yes, this is essential also. In order to understand higher knowledge, one must purify the consciousness. One could say that the most efficient method of purification is through mantra meditation. 'man' means mind and 'tra' means to deliver. So 'mantra' means to deliver the mind from the conditionings of material existence. Therefore most eastern spiritual practices place great emphasis on mantra meditation to clear the consciousness from this material impressions. Because mantras like the maha-mantra are considered transcendental to material energy, so by associating with this sound vibration, one automatically purifies the consciousness and weakens the material conditionings. Extremely powerful!

>Must I always be propelled to 'do something' (consciously) with what I am learning?
    The soul is always active and therefore we cannot negate our thoughts or actions into nothing, but we can consciously purify our thoughts and desires through bhakti yoga or other forms of spiritual practice.

>What is the process of taking in new information
    Its a same method as learning from a teacher. One has to listen attentively to the teacher without a challenging spirit, try to absorb and understand what they are teaching form different points of vision, always questioning things that are not well understood and then try to apply that knowledge in your life.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS