Discussions

When someone says God, what is the first thing you think of?

Posted April 5, 2011 by Prophetes in Open

commented on Jan. 24, 2013
by Jeanine Broderick

Most of us have grown up in a culture that feeds us images and ideas of what "God" looks like. If someone can honestly say that they don't first think of a bearded man in white robes or a Hindu god/goddess, than I congratulate them for being less Westernized than myself.

• 76 Comments  
  • Jeanine Broderick Jan 24, 2013

My fist thought when someone else speaks of God is to try to read them to figure out what they mean by the term.

When I think of God I think of Love, Source, Support, Eternal, All That Is. One.

• Anonymous Icon

Otto Krog Nov 24, 2012

God is SpaceTime.

Does anyone share the experience with the oneness in SpaceTime with me? I think that the only thing we have in common as spiritual beings is space and time. What do you think? www.crestroy.com

• Anonymous Icon

snapper Nov 03, 2012

hi dustproduction,

consider this: in the begining was the word,and the word was with god and the word was god. jn 1:1 nt

what was prior to this i have no idea, this is saying that there was an unspoken word that came into existence when the (creator,god,creative principal ) became aware of its own existence. that word was I followed immedatley by AM, the all powerful force of I AM burst into creation and will go on creating forever.(this force is the true nature of our creator.)

regards,

snapper

• E_Pfretzschner Nov 02, 2012

I too am guilty of first thinking of the bearded man in the robe sitting in the clouds but then I believe that god truly is in everything and everyone.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Nov 01, 2012

What does this notion of a god as creator come from.
    Can anyone answer me this?

• Anonymous Icon

snapper Nov 01, 2012

i have given up all thoughts of what god looks like,whatever we consider is the appearance of god is only a figment of our imagination.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Oct 27, 2012

Re: "when a believer places trust and faith in a greater power," For what end, if not something selfish? Assume gods are spirits seems all to human?

• Jarm1941 Oct 26, 2012

Over time, peopoe have imagined the Creator of the Universe to be in many forms and have many faces. However, it is more reasonable to understand the One True God as Spirit.

Recognition of a universal creative force greater than that demonstrated by mankind is the door to spirituality. It is supported by personal observation of nature (nature meaning the physical laws and designs of the earth as well as the universe).

The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. However, when a believer places trust and faith in a greater power, he or she can seek the good things of the spirit and mind, and understand that the rest will either be supplied or its loss will be of little or no consequence.

The universe and a moral inclination within trouble us with wonder and awe, and we search for knowledge and truth attempting to understand purpose and destiny. This "desire to know" is the Creator link to our nature and by this desire we can understand that the power of the Creator is in the creation. This can be seen in the perishing of one form and the coming of another. Here is truth fully revealing itself. It is as natural to pass from this world as to be born and the majesty of the heavens and their regularity (the cycling of the seasons, the rhythm of day and night) inspire a suspicion that mankind simply cannot be looking at some meaningless accident. Rather, there is purpose for being. Mankind has searched for thousands of years to understand the meaning of being, and perhaps has become lost in overblown effort to define that which is conveniently wrapped in simplicity.

• Anonymous Icon

ats1121 Oct 26, 2012

Infinite power, kindness and forgiveness.. We will never be able to imagine God yet we can feel his presence and connect to him without us knowing why or how that's possible. It's the greatest feeling in the world.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Oct 21, 2012

God = Universe

• Ashok Malhotra Oct 21, 2012

To me God is everything, everything we can see in the universe and everything that cannot be seen. To me all is God and there is nothing else besides him. We are all part of God by this definition although we do not realize it most time because we assert our own independance, freedom, ego and face our own individual consequences because of it.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Oct 15, 2012

Richard Dawkins recently said this about the belief in God, "It's a little unfair to say it's like the tooth fairy. I think a particular god like Zeus or Jehovah is as unlikely (to exist) as the tooth fairy, but the idea of some kind of creative intelligence is not quite so ridiculous."

• mrmathew1963 Oct 14, 2012

G'day

A conscious creative energy form far vaster than just the God of man!!

• Anonymous Icon

Timka Oct 13, 2012

@ Prophetes

Your question was simple, as is my reply ; Yes, bearded man with white robes. Another good topic for discussion would be - 'After long hard consideration and using your own experiences and knowledge, how would you describe god as you know and feel it/him'.

• Anonymous Icon

Otto Krog Oct 13, 2012

I think that we are all God's and that we have an Earthly experience.

I believe that antimatter is the subconscious mind and consciousness of living entities. I have made a video about it, explaining how I came to the conclusion putting it together with scientific observations during the last hundreds of years.

You can watch it on YouTube on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhdbbmc01b8

Just copy paste the link.

You can also follow me on my blog

www.crestroy.com

• slowlygetnthar Apr 29, 2012

SKY BLUE with Georgia O'Keefe clouds, then, ~thunderclap~ the Michaelangelo God dude on the Sistine Chapel comes whipping in, toga waving in the breeze, finger outstretched to electrify us all...SHAZAM!

• parker Apr 27, 2012

There is but One. And that One is is the perfection of more than all of us together have capacity to aspire to, because individually, we are of that One, and all things we observe, are also of that One.

• jmatt4lifehoe Mar 19, 2012

When I hear the word God, my first thought is nature and its harmony and an inherent connection to it which all human beings are born with yet dissipates with maturity and exposure to immediate environs. Also, I think about the struggle among all religions to claim God as their own, the One TRUE God who sanctions their religion as genuine, the chosen religion.

• Anonymous Icon

tucca Jan 07, 2012

to John TBailey
    I'm sorry for what happened to you. When I was in second grade I remember watching the explosion of the shuttle over and over again. I had nightmares about it. I don't really have anything else to say other than I am sorry you had to experience something like that. Just remember that moment does not define you.

• Anonymous Icon

dysy_dreality Dec 30, 2011

When I think of the word, it reminds me of the GCN, or GCP. Whereby prayers are actually a kind of energypeople emit when they keep thinking of something. I strongly believe, in my perception that Science is just another form of religion, but the believers of Science actually make an effort to try to search for answers.

• Anonymous Icon

velu vivek Dec 25, 2011

That someone is there to rely upon..

• Anonymous Icon

JohnTBailey Dec 23, 2011

I tend to think I have the correct perspective on most things. I use the scientific process in making determinations and I use caution when stating ideas as fact. God is real alive and described most accurately in "The Bible." I/God/The Holy Spirit have/has without an inaccuracy "predicted" world future events in a verifiable manner. That is science at work. One of the most verifiable earliest "predictions" was the first Space Shuttle Disaster as verified by my United States government reporting of the future event. I presented my fact several days prior. On the morning of the event I fervently tried to convince the woman officer in charge of the USS Enterprise Aircraft carrier while sitting in the commander's chair. She had me removed from The Bridge. It would be nice to have had a follow up interview.

I challenge anyone to explain away "The Bible" by a childhood catholic experience. I am not catholic, because catholics do not believe in "The Bible." My present perspective would have changed if raised catholic. I thank God I was not raised in a belief restricting my interpretation of "The Bible." When discussing if God is alive and active I refer to "The Bible" not simply being "as if he was standing right here beside me." "The Bible" IS God standing right here talking to me.

To me, God is the commander of the spiritual realm and exists outside of time. I am open to discussions of how he/it created matter (i.e. Big Bang Theory, String Theory, etc.). I used the he/it pronoun forms on a whim. Jesus was a he. Holy Spirit is probably an it. God, the father, would suggest he. If The Holy Spirit is an it, then the collective three (now rejoined) would also be considered an it.

• escape Dec 22, 2011

God is a flower and we are but a particle of its scent.

• Littlewulff Dec 17, 2011

Ah, I only know that I have no idea what or who God is. Or if God is. I was raised an atheist and trained as a scientist in Natural Resources and it was DNA and RNA that helped to shake up my consciousness. The way DNA and RNA work is so insanely precise, there does not seem to be anything random about it. I have looked asked and prayed for an answer. But alas, at the age of 42, I can only check “other” by religion on our world’s forms and write in “hopelessly confused”.

My nightly attempts at prayer become a silly effort as I have no idea who I am praying to or if God is even concerned with such prayers.

But my curiosity, my need to know , has me obsessed with another idea--
    The God Project.
    Set out to interview a wide variety of people from everywhere and every age in the style of the wonderful Studs Turkel. Ask them what their God or Gods look like.
    Then ask the artists of our age to go through these interviews and find one they would like to paint, draw, sculpt or create.
    And I would call it The God Project and have it as a traveling art exhibit to help people think and share. And who knows… maybe find my answer there.

• Anonymous Icon

tucca Dec 16, 2011

When I was a kid, I also had the image of the bearded man sitting on his thrown high above the clouds. But as I grew older, this image felt more and more wrong to me. I stumbled onto a book that suggested an excercise of writing down how I felt about religion and science.I wrote down, in a nutshell, that they were two halves of a whole. As I studied on this question more, a new image of "God" began to be revealed to me.
    In my faith, I call God The One. The One is the surrounding...force or architect of the natural world might be a good definition. The One includes light, dark, male, female, creative, and destructive energies. Everything is just a part of The One.
    I feel that religion should allow for study of one's faith so that one can learn and expand or evolve the understanding of "God". It is almost like throwing away the gift of conscience that mankind has been given to define boundries for faith and religion.

• Eduardo Dec 15, 2011

Deus é simplesmente Deus, não tem como descrever o indescritível com uma mente finita, sendo Ele Infinito... Ainda não conseguiremos descreve-Lo, mas um dia conseguiremos pois nos juntaremos a Ele por completo... Sinceramente nunca imaginei Deus como um ancião barbudo com veste brancas sentado num trono, como a maioria das pessoas, mas sempre vi Deus como um Guardião Amoroso e Justo um Ser invisível e muito real.

• Anonymous Icon

kuphoff Dec 15, 2011

I was raised a Catholic and yes, when I was young I thought of God as a bearded man. When I was about 12 years old I began questioning the faith and my own beliefs and have been on a quest of spiritual understanding ever since. I now see God as a force. I feel a deep connection with the meaning of the omnipotent and omnipresent God I was taught about. I now feel a deep understanding that this omnipotence and omnipresence is in fact a force. I feel it within myself, but find it difficult to fully and adequately describe. When in touch with it the feeling is truly awesome - as I believe the word awesome was intended to be understood. I don't want to be too wordy. I feel like my life is a quest to define what God is in a way that all people will understand. I sometimes have difficulty with the word God simply because I do understand that it is widely misunderstood and misused. My mission is to help clarify, that is, once I have come to be able to fully explain.

Peace to you.

• Anonymous Icon

Otto Krog Dec 14, 2011

When I was young and naive I thought about the man with the beard.

Today I think about God, as myself in my pure and innocent "youth" as a spirit.

I am the creator and the destroyer of my own universe, and >I have an earthly experience as a human being to learn a lot and get wiser.

I coined the word crestroy from create and destroy.

I think my first creation was light, and then it went on and on, untill today, where I have my 3D virtual reality experience together with a hell of a lot of Gods. We are all Gods and Goddesses.

To most scientists it is crackpot, but I don't care being a crackpot, so many are, also in the scientist field.

My view on antimatter is, that it is the mind and consciousness of all living entities.

You are your own universe.

Reality is where the minds (antimatter) meets the physical universe.

Interested? Then read my philosophical multiverse theory.

Google crestroyer theory, and find it instantly.

http://crestroyertheory.com/the-theory/

• Anonymous Icon

aragem Nov 29, 2011

as a child, there was a wise, loving but somewhat remote, male figure; now energy/light/joy - gone is any semblance of humanoid.

• Anonymous Icon

Sonvision Nov 28, 2011

The first thing I think when someone mentions God........

He doesn't return my calls.............

• GaiaNme Nov 17, 2011

It sometime astonishes me so hear people I feel that all religious perspctives takes away the beauty in EVERY existance. We have somehow removed ourselfs from all other sentient beings, as if some creator seperated us and willed us to have dominion over this planet while ''he'', ''she'', ''it'' or even ''them'', went on some prolonged vacation. Like it was obligated to do so because our species has some perfection over the rest. When I think of the homo sapien cration of ''GOD'', and ''Demi' God's''..I feel sadness above all else. I feel sadness for the rest of the creatures clinging to the same strings in which we refuse to share. I have a hatred for my species like no other. The characteristics in which I despise the most, is the the very side claiming to hold some ''perfect gene'' that this creator refused to share with no other biological creature. The side in which can claim to know for sure in ANY GOD, and use the excuse of Absolute Knowledge of it's existance to justify the innahlation of creatures proven to have evolved millions and even BILLIONS of years before our own. If this were a world in which the knowledge of a creator was fact, and everyone could use the senses given to us by these creators to learn and teach alike, I wonder if it would even be a question of it's existance! The facts given to me as a child was that, God, the creator of the heavens, solar systems, Universe and all creatures and phonomenom that exists..created ''us'' as in humans, in ''it's'' image. To me that meant all the horrible qualities we have it too has to share. By law that has to mean it could not be some perfect specimen and in NO WAY A GOD. A god to me is, are the creatures that inhabits GAIA along side us NOT FOR US. There is no evil compition it their nature. They hold on to the balance and beauty provided to us by the mother of us all. They don't seek to over throw the rules of engaugement embedded in our DNA. Like how a Sea Turtle knows how, instinctivly to returen to the sea after they have hatched. That awsome instruction given to all of us, out of all the billions of inhabitants on this planet only a few hold dear the instructions given to us by the same energy that allows us exist in the first place. That instruction to me is very clear. We are here to protect those who cannot protect them selves. THE ANIMALS. We were to protect the ''gods''. Those ''gods'' are the ANIMALS, AND VEGETATION. that surround us. That we comsume and abuse. We owe our existance to the other specimen'sin nature that went into extinction, so that the MIGHTY MAMMAL can exist today. Our very existance is owed to the billions, if not trillions of animals and plants that allowed us to use them so that we too can evolve. Maybe some of you will understand my point. It is very clear to me. I have yet to understand why it is not clear to everyone else.

• Anonymous Icon

workinprogress Nov 14, 2011

Oh yes the old man in the white beard sitting on a throne! ( a white man of course!) that was for me the view I had when I was a child, and to this day that image creeps in when I "pray".... I get it ...why that image makes it easier for people to visualize some higher power than themselves ( but what a load of hooooey!) I've asked some of my friends why they believe that God is a MALE I mean does God have a ??? you know what I'm getting at, very ingrained images are hard to release.. so I use the word Universe to replace that God thing, it helps.

• StanEllis_Author Sep 07, 2011

As a child I personified God, made it into a human image. Now I relate to God as being the source of who we are, which is of course Love. Knowing I am created in the image of LOVE enables me to co-create love all around me in the things I experience. I see love (God) everywhere. For me the words Source & Presence have replaced the word God. It's a sharing the here & now experience as opposed to exalting some "out there" diety with worship and prayers of petition.

• F_Alexander Sep 03, 2011

Though what if I said the first thing that comes to my mind is my profile picture ^_^ I kid, I kid.

• F_Alexander Sep 03, 2011

Happily I don't have the bearded man thing going on :-)

When I hear it I instantly think of everything around me, and then of some source intelligence at the heart of our Sun.
    Not that I think that our Sun is the center of the universe ^_^, I just think of our local God as one of the pupils of some larger-scale God.

• Anonymous Icon

Sandiacindy Aug 23, 2011

I think of a male deity...any male deity, created by someone's belief, which is nothing more than someone's thought. The word "God" implies a masculine energy that is non-physical, not in human form. We have attached many meanings to this word in our current dominator society, most of which imply that "He" is great and we are insignificant. I use the word "God" when I want to express to another human that they are indeed great, not insignificant, and their greatness is their God (or Goddess) within. Each and every human is non-physical energy experiencing a physical existence on the leading edge of thought, which becomes things. Naming that non-physical energy as something separate from oneself pinches one off from the flow of vibrant well-being, which is the natural state of one's inner being.

• Sibylle Hajostek Aug 22, 2011

...the source of love, light and wisdom.

• Metaphysicist2 Aug 15, 2011

I think it likely that many members here have heard of the Hermetic axiom, “as above, so below,” and also that human beings are multi-dimensional, i.e., we have an immortal soul¹ that resides eternally in heaven (5th dimension) or “higher self”, as well as our personality consciousness or “lower self” here in the 3rd dimension.
    Speaking from personal experience,² I can confirm what a multitude of others throughout history have also experienced, and that is, that our soul’s reside within the consciousness of “the One in whom we live, and move, and have our being,” which is the highest aspect of the “Logos” (the terminolgy used in theosophy). This aspect of the Logos sounded forth the “word” (the OM)³ in the beginning and will continue to sound it forth until He/She’s purpose is achieved for this solar system.
    The Logos’ lower aspect that sages, prophets, etc., have clairvoyantly seen & communicated with is identified in the Bible as “the Ancient of days”† and is also known as the “One Initiator” who wields the “Rod or Power.”‡
    The problem with Biblical theology is the literal interpretation, and also the fact that the Bible was edited & altered centuries ago by the Catholic Church and, primarily, two Roman Emperors, Constantine & Justinian,¶ which has caused all the bloodshed & murder in God’s name throughout history.
    Many, allegedly, open-minded people cannot accept the fact that individuals like myself and others throughout history have actually had these mystical experiences, which confirm the existence of the Logos, because it also places us in the category of “knowing” the truth, and for many people it just isn’t possible to know the “truth.”
    Love & light from “down under.”

¹ “The soul, Iamblichus says, is an immortal entity, unbegotten and imperishable, indivisible and incorporeal, therefore, it could not have come into existence at birth, nor will it perish at death. Furthermore, being indivisible, being essentially incorporeal, and having nothing in common with the body, it can be affected by nothing, nor has it any concern with change or condition.” http://www.esotericarchives.com/oracle/iambl_th.htm|
    ² http://www.qdeansloan.com/bio.htm
    ³ See Stanza II of the Stanzas of Dzyan on pages 13-14 in the following paper.
    http://www.qdeansloan.com/papers/pdf/natures%20mind%20the%20quantum%20hologram.pdf
    † Daniel 7:
    9 I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose
    garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne
    was like the firey flame, and his wheels as burning fire.
    10 A firey stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands
    ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the
    judgement was set, and the books were opened.
    ‡ http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/ihas/ihas16.htm
    ¶ http://reluctant-messenger.com/origen6.html

• Anonymous Icon

winddancer Aug 15, 2011

God: our attempt to solidify the unknowable. I call what I worship "Life" and/or "The Source." How do I worship Life/Source? by coming into coherence with/alignment with the underlying nature of All that Is. When I do, energy flows, healing happens, hope for an end to our suffering, our destruction, and our dying arises--with power. It's the power of transformation available to us when we release our expectations and definitions of ourselves, others, and how things are intertwined--and simply let the power of Source move us and grow us. That's "God"--of all forms and sexes and none at All. Winddancer/Alicia Adams

• Anonymous Icon

Keter Aug 15, 2011

I think of spiritual abuse. As I was growing up, the word "God" was used to terrify children with visions of burning in hell for all eternity for being sinful - which was explained as something we were all born with - and could do nothing about. The only way to be cleansed of sin was literally to "die" spiritually and let God take over your body/life.

The God of my upbringing also viewed women as a lesser species, more prone to sin than men, and therefore requiring greater restrictions and limitations. I could go on, but I am sure this is clear enough at this point.

After years of self-hatred, deep-seated fear, self-destructive behaviors, and emptiness, I got a lot of therapy and healing work to deal with the aftermath of what I now call spiritual abuse. And I have come to terms with all that.

Now I find comfort in my own personal experience of a loving Divine presence grounded in unconditional love. But I would NEVER refer to that presence as "God" as that is a culturally laden word that will always mean something different (to me) than my current experience of Divine love.

• Anonymous Icon

Intheclouds Aug 13, 2011

Here's the God I was taught.

George Carlin nailed it for me.
    [b]Mr. Carlin:[/b] When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit!

[b]Me:[/b]Although I've changed my idea of what and who God is, when I think of "Him" this concept comes to my mind first.
    And when it does, I have to talked to myself and morph into my current belief. That old teaching was strong. Very strong and it takes practice to rinse out the brainwashing.

• Anonymous Icon

yazurra20 Aug 13, 2011

I never could think of any image to reflect God as that is what i've been taught about. However, to say God it gives me the impression of something very powerful does exist. Just look around us, the universe is in perfect order. Look at the sky, too many stars and planet there. All of them is on its own place, floating up there. From the theory of geometry, even if these stars misplaced for just 1mm, the sky would collapse. Who would not think as I am? The mountain is fixed very firmly on the earth. Who else would lift up the land to such height. From the biggest animal to the smallest microscopic organism.....to think of every single oxygen molecule that i inhale everyday of my life, it enters the body and being exchange with the waste gas.....Thinking and knowing such tiny details make me say ' Oh my God'......God always give that great impression in my heart.....

• Anonymous Icon

nedabahraini Aug 13, 2011

All engulfing. Beyond my human mind to be described, though I wish I was able to.

• Anonymous Icon

Brian O Dowd Aug 13, 2011

God is everywhere. God is Love, Light, Life, Peace, Joy, Truth, Power, Strength, Free, Safe, Open, and Holy. And I am as God created me. From my perspective as a separate entity this is difficult to see. However, when I sit in silent stillness I can just about let go all the images, names and symbols that I mistook for God.

• Anonymous Icon

ZFallenX333 Aug 12, 2011

perfect consciousness i mean what else would shape the universe when all the scientists say "luck". The whole big bang something out of nothing really doesn't make much sense

• Anonymous Icon

ShapingOurWorld Aug 12, 2011

I too grew up with the image of an old man sporting a white beard, but also of a very angry and conflicted diety. As a result I turned away from religion and later in life was forced to unravel a lot of that childhood imagery to develop a more... for lack of a better phrase, advanced understanding of God.

I share portions of what's already been suggested by some, God being immaterial or unmanifested as well as infinite. While it can come across as a total cliche, I also believe that God is love. Most importantly however I believe that God is not angry, vengeful or even selective in the distribution of love.

These of course are all interpretations, driven by where we are as individuals and communities. How we advance those interpretations is my primary interest.

• WhiffsofBliss Aug 11, 2011

Gravity, the force that brings everything/one together.

• Anonymous Icon

EthanT Aug 11, 2011

I tried this as an experiment on my wife. Told her to tell me the first thing that comes to her mind, while I say certain words.

Me: Blue
    My Wife: Sky

Me: Sun
    My Wife: Warmth

Me: God
    My Wife: Damn it!

Not exactly what I was looking for, lol.

• Anonymous Icon

valerie33 Aug 11, 2011

The spark in my Soul that sings the divine melodies of devotion and knowing

• Anonymous Icon

kgelinas Aug 11, 2011

The word "God" brings to mind thousands of years of religious repression, violence in the name of faith, and horrific misogyny. Universe, Spirit, Goddess, Mother Earth, Father Sky and similar identifiers bring to mind the love of nature, humankind and all of life. "God" brings to mind an angry, male tyrant even though that is not what was intended. Man has perverted it for his own purposes.

• Anonymous Icon

Robert Johnston Aug 11, 2011

Infinite timeless ultimate Mysterious Source of all.

• Anonymous Icon

heimamar Aug 11, 2011

creator (source) and aliens, who created human race

• Anonymous Icon

cosmic52 Aug 10, 2011

pure love energy

• Anonymous Icon

tqnelson Aug 10, 2011

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous Icon

coyote Aug 10, 2011

Love Truth Beauty Joy Music

coyote

• capt_infinity Aug 09, 2011

Since none of has to invite God over for dinner God can really be anything we want God to be. That is the beauty of faith.

I never thought about what God looked like as a child and was always puzzled why God was male unless God has someone or something that requires genitalia.

Maybe the universe was created in one huge divine orgasm and God saw no point in in ever having another one after that. If God's mate moved on that would explain parallel universes.

Considering all that was needed to construct a universe happened in 1E-35 seconds how can anyone call it anything but a miracle.

Energy has no form except in particle form but we don't fully understand all the mass we think there is in this universe so what anyone believes is all valid for the moment.

From my point of view we need to learn to walk first and the first step is for all of mankind to identify it's spirit. Only then can we start to understand what God is or isn't.

• Anonymous Icon

LorenC Aug 07, 2011

I think if Christians could think of God as a symbol of what is inside each of us rather than a supreme being watching over us, the concept of God would serve us better. Perhaps people should think of God the way that Buddhists think of Buddha. To believe in one supreme being seems very simple and shallow. To find real answers, we need to reach farther than adopting another persons faith.

• Anonymous Icon

taichirich Jun 14, 2011

I envision a force which encompasses all that exists - both the visible and the invisible. It is infinite in nature and therefore exists everywhere at all times (including by the way, within all life and within each of us). This GOD is intelligent and omniscent for it is the primary and driving force behind all creation (and we need not look beyond the flower to know what a miracle life is) and it is the source for the miracle of our bodies and our life... and I believe this GOD to be omnipotent for we need only consider the existence of billions of stars (and each star is a sun in its own universe) to know how powerful the creative force is.

As with energy, it has always existed, will always exists. It may change form but never ceases to exist.

It is One Mind, One Intelligence, One Experience, One Life, One Reality

• Anonymous Icon

swatiphoenix Jun 13, 2011

In my opinion G-O-D is creative chaos, absolute consciousness. But with our regulative senses we are unable to grab the whole idea.
    G-O-D exists in non linear time and space continuum. It is hard to describe but if you can bear the idea that erverything!!! exists because G-O-D is exploring himherit-self in everything in the same time in present. People think they are individuells because this makes the game. And G-O-D is not the only the nice loving ?energy? G-O-D is everything that means wars and crimes and other we call bad things are also a part of the performance. There is no seperation. Everything erveryone planets stars and so on, oh I forgot G-O-D = ONE

• Anonymous Icon

tamsinstead Jun 01, 2011

I know this might come over as 'stating the bl**din' obvious', but who came up with the idea of some ol' geezer with a long white beard looking pissed off anyway? Serious question. I vaguely remember paintings 'God' in this way as a child (but brought up a 'heathen' "Make up your own mind kid). And not at all interested in that kind of 'art'. Seriously. Who and, more importantly 'why' was the Western image of the Western 'idea' of GOD depicted in this way?

Same goes with the Hindu 'goddess' (???) (The Hindus have many 'Gods').

And am still irritated with the ascribing of genitalia by constant reference to the word 'he'?! (Not that I'm picking on Chrischunz, but really, why would this 'god' need genitalia? Of either sex? I really can't get my head around this kind of 'thinking' of, let's extrapolate this, to some ol' geezer getting it on in the sky :D

On my own part, I always remember the description of 'god' in The Colour Purple as an 'it'.

• Anonymous Icon

divinepoet May 30, 2011

Problem with the people is that they think much about God's existence. But God says, whetherr you believe or not I am there. Forget about God, just think about creation or its creation. Great philosopher Socretes said, `know thyserlf '. But still humankind could not discover itself. Prophet Mohammad(PUB) said, if you know yourself than only you know your lord. There is no need to discuss and waste time on the existence of God. Rather try to discover the God . God does not need anybody,s recognition. God is not a matter or physic or existentant. It has no form or image. It is a concept , an idea . If you are not interested in this concept,you just ignore it. I believe in divinity. I am in love with my invisible fiance for many decades. I have not seen S/he yet. S/he says,

`Gaze on the sky
    When it is midnight
    You will see me
    Among the smiling stars
    If you really love me.

• Anonymous Icon

1depster May 29, 2011

When someone says GOD . . . I think of DOG. I am deslexic.

• Jake44 May 28, 2011

I at one time thought of God as a white bearded older guy sitting on a throne with all of the masters around him. After much study in the metaphysical aspects, I believe that we were all, everything created through consciousness. The Source of that consciousness I call The All that Is, Absolute Unbounded Oneness, the I AM or simply put Source. All is infinite as is Source, we are individuated infinite units of consciousness. All connected through the Collective Consciousness. All through the infinite energy of Source.

• Sunshadow May 26, 2011

"If someone can honestly say that they don't first think of a bearded man in white robes or a Hindu god/goddess, than I congratulate them for being less westernised than myself." LOL! That's refreshingly honest, and I needed a laugh today!

I grew up with an image of god as a bearded old white man in flowing white robes, and he didn't look too friendly, either. Usually was depicted with a pointed finger and a look of hellfire and damnation on his face...eternally pissed about our inadequacies, I guess. ;-)

And that image is why I really dislike the word "god." It's just too culturally laden for me...and I figure if everyone were honest, they'd acknowledge that their culture has left some marks on them too, regarding "images" of god.

But that being said, these days I tend to get more of an image of some kind of view from the Hubble telescope when I think of the Great Spirit, or the Spirit-that-moves-in-all-things, which is how I phrase it for myself these days; isn't so gender laden and is vague enough to be useful for attaining open-mindedness about the subject. Or, I might see an image of a golden spark inside others. Or, a sense of Knowing. Those are my newer update images.

• cprize Apr 19, 2011

God is all of Creation and anything that moves within it. God communicates to all sentient beings via dreams and visions (Numbers 12:6). It's astonishing how far religion takes people away from actually communing with God because clergy (of all faiths) don't know how it works, can't explain or teach how it works or how to use it and so they ignore, belittle, dissuade or deny the use of that communication to us (and replaced the use of it with opinion and their own disbelief). All the prophecies in the Bible, Quran, and all other sources of prophecy could have been written by one person's dreams in 20 years. Now think how much of the Living Word has been wasted if one person could have written all of that. Think too how little is known about how the process works.

• marcusantonio91 Apr 16, 2011

Strangely I think of the force in Star Wars, God is within us, we are god and god is us, all life is connected and symbiotic, it's hard to explain

• Anonymous Icon

gaines Apr 15, 2011

God to me represents THE MYSTERY...that which is above and beyond knowing by the mind. God is like the wind, I cannot see the wind but I know it is there....I feel it and I observe the tree responding to the wind. I don't have to see the wind to believe it exists.

• PonsAnimus Apr 09, 2011

@fallensoul QUOTE:[The thing is that our minds are limited. If we simply base reality on our current scientific ideas, which we call facts today and half of which change tomorrow, we will never be able to get out the box and get a clear conception of God.]QUOTEend -

I would sign that !! BUT if there is ONE thing that life and profession taught me: "Never EVER say never !" ;)
    Nice dialog, ty !

• Fallensoul Apr 09, 2011

PonsAnimus: I think you thinking is valid. The point here is that eternal things are not created. They dont have a beginning as material things do. They are always existing eternally and have always been existing. Its a different nature than created things. Something material cannot come from nothing. It is in our experience that material things have a cause. So the nothing that you're speaking about actually has something in it or is caused by something else. Perhaps science hasnt discovered what that something is yet.

The thing is that our minds are limited. If we simply base reality on our current scientific ideas, which we call facts today and half of which change tomorrow, we will never be able to get out the box and get a clear conception of God.

• PonsAnimus Apr 09, 2011

@fallensoul quote:[The vedic answer is that the creator is eternal whereas anything material is not.] QUOTEend ---- Oh really ? Not going there now to ask who created the eternal :p.
    I think that material things are just another anhysteretic state of appearance. Photons have no mass when not moving, but get a one the second they start to move, which actually means it appears out of nothing. So maybe we can agree that the force of the creator is the huge "vaccuum" which we call empty space ? At least that is the "stuff" which is a main component in every molecule and atom in this universe and most likely in all others, as it is the basic force floating in all dimentions.
    The awareness of the nature of this "nothing" and controlling this "root force" in your consciousness, would make everything possible - even the miracles described in the bible. Too much power in the hands of mankind if you ask me, not to talk about the hands of one single human being.
    That second you get aware of the use of that "big nothing", you would be truely one with all, offering perfect harmony and balance ---->Paradise, not ?.:p
    Well....this is just a glimpse of my personal weird thinking. ;) At least you see that the mentioned question "who created the creator" is just the introduction of what comes to my mind when it comes to the interpretation of the word GOD.

• Fallensoul Apr 09, 2011

PonsAnimus: Who created the creator? Yes, its a natural question that arises. The vedic answer is that the creator is eternal whereas anything material is not. All material things are subject to creation and destruction. But spiritual things are not subject to that. So the creator being the Supreme Spiritual is not subject to creation and destruction. Eternal things dont have a beginning, they have always existed, are always existing and will always continue to exist. This universe however is material in nature and therefore has a creation date. Our bodies also, but it can be argued that we are a minute particle of spirit and therefore we are also eternal and not subject to destruction. When our bodies are destroyed depending on our state of being we either take another body or go back to to live with the supreme spirit.

howard_a_jones1937 and others: If we're created with personality, feelings etc. by a supreme being why shouldn't He also possess these qualities to the perfect degree? Why can't God be a Supreme Person with feelings and someone whom we can relate to? A perfect person with perfect energy thats infinite and eternal. Its quite unfortunate that after living our entire lives thus far our conception of God is so vague! It explains so much about the reality that we're brought up with science claiming to give us the facts about life, but can't give us any purpose and it means we have to speculate so vaguely and come up with our own idea of God and our purpose in it. A real shame.

• PonsAnimus Apr 08, 2011

First thing i think of, is a question: -> If there is a creator, who/what created the creator (god) ?<-

• Anonymous Icon

howard_a_jones1937 Apr 08, 2011

I think of spiritual energy, infinite and eternal. Any anthropomorphic image of God seems meaningless to me. That energy is morally neutral, neither good nor bad. It is what humankind does with this spiritual energy that creates good and evil.
    howard_a_jones1937

• desertrose Apr 07, 2011

I think of a Force that binds all. Both Chaos and Calm, opposites and like. God is the manifestation of life. God is the space between thoughts, sound and time.

• frequencytuner Apr 06, 2011

In greater detail...

Fire Hydrogen East Male Sun Yang Gold Movement Spirit Electric Seed Father Linear
    Wand Energy Dark Energy Active Extrovert Will Sending Plasma Sulfur Kinetic Energy

The ironic thing is this: Fire needs Air translates to Hydrogen needs Nitrogen - but Nitrogen prevents Fire. Now, Water extinguishes Fire which translates to Hydrogen opposes Oxygen - but Oxygen promotes Fire. It all comes down to how much oxygen is in the air - Water within Air, Potential Energy (Water) in your Mind (Air). This Manifests (Earth/Carbon) through Spirited (Fire) Creation (Air) . This translates to the Hand of "God" (Fire=Wand, Air=Sword).

It is really just the Architecture and a limited form of perception of the Universe: 4 (Earth/Air/Fire/Water) parts that are sensible and observable through the veil of human cognition. I cannot speak of anything beyond this.

• frequencytuner Apr 06, 2011

The one within the eye of the observer.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS