Discussions

Samadhi

Posted Jan. 29, 2011 by Fallensoul in Open

commented on Feb. 5, 2011
by Fallensoul

In the stage of perfection called trance, or samadhi, one's mind is completely restrained from material mental activities by practice of yoga. This perfection is characterized by one's ability to see the self by the pure mind and to relish and rejoice in the self. In that joyous state, one is situated in boundless transcendental happiness, realized through transcendental senses. Established thus, one never departs from the truth, and upon gaining this he thinks there is no greater gain. Being situated in such a position, one is never shaken, even in the midst of greatest difficulty. This indeed is actual freedom from all miseries arising from material contact.

• 4 Comments  
  • Fallensoul Feb 05, 2011

James: Restrained basically means control. The yogi has to control the mind (and senses) in such a way that the various material desires and thoughts do not affect or distract his meditation on the Supreme. There are hundreds and thousands of material attachments both gross and subtle material sense pleasures that the mind is currently addicted to and that prevent one's consciousness from moving upward as you describe. So when one is able to control/restrain these lower tastes by following the process of self-realisation, then one can obtain a higher taste and step into transcendental life, of which Samadhi as described above is the first experience one gets when entering through the spiritual doorway.

• Fallensoul Feb 05, 2011

Melvin: Thank you very much for sharing that experience with us. The vedic literatures describe the self in one of two states. One as a pure eternal spiritual entity constituted of bliss and knowledge. And another as that same spiritual entity but conditioned by a gross and subtle material body. The gross body is constituted of earth, water, air, fire and ether (space) and the subtle body is constituted of a material mind (technically mind, intelligence and a false sense of self or ego). The gross body is moulded around the subtle body, so if one is able to heal aspects of the subtle body, via some of the processes you mentioned, the gross body subsequently heals. Yet this only solves half the problem.

One still has this subtle material body and therefore at death one has to take another gross body and continue suffering in this material realm. So interestingly the goal of yoga isn't to become an expert subtle body healer, but rather to focus the mind and consciousness in such a way as to return to one's original pure spiritual body free from the material gross and subtle body.

Because ultimately one may be able to heal people in marvellous ways, but disease, old-age, death and rebirth are far more real problems that one can only solve if one can revive his forgotten spiritual identity.

• mysticmuse Feb 04, 2011

"In the stage of perfection called trance, or samadhi, one's mind is completely restrained from material mental activities by practice of yoga..."

"Restrained" seems to me to be the wrong word for this. It sounds as if some part of us has clamped down on some other part, a kind of inhibition. My sense is that it would be more like stepping into the beautiful flow of life and being swept upward by that.

Best Thoughts,

James

• Melvin Redfern, PhD Feb 03, 2011

I had an unusual experience as a psychologist in a hospital. I had a patient come to my office; he suffered from RA in his hands. He was in such great pain that after a few minutes he said that he had to cancel the counseling session and return to his room. I asked him to stay a few moments and to look at the corner of a picture. I suggested that he could close his eyes and relax as I counted backwards from ten to one. Then I suggested that I would reverse the numbers and he could beome wide aware and that he would feel terrific for the rest of the day. My only intention was to have a stress reduction goal. The patient had inner wisdom that had other plans. Within a few monents his hands opened, the redness disappeared and he wept stating. "I haven't been able to do this in 20 years." He felt more than terrific because his hands were completely healed! I believe that this energy exists in Yoga, Reiki, Pranic healing, and in informal individual healing when an individual "steps from bridge to shore."

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS