Discussions

Self-Awareness

Posted June 6, 2013 by Joseph Smith in Community Groups

Anonymous Icon

commented on Sept. 9, 2013
by dustproduction

Could it be that we tend to be self-delusional? Do we envision the life we want and imagine being there without the process involved? Are we sold by authorities. Just follow their leads and we will soon be on Easy Street.

How much does our awareness have to do with the events in our lives? I came to realize when I wrote my memoirs that my awareness played a big role in events. The big event in my life was when I cut from the herd and went on my own. I was the pioneer seeking to find my true identity. Once I found it, I began to change into the person I was meant to be. The events in my life changed for the better, but it wasn't easy. It was very hard at first.

Looking back, I started out in my youth taking the path of least resistance and ended with my life in ruins.

• 6 Comments  
  • Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 09, 2013

re: The more Conscious one is,

"In the eternal struggle between order and chaos, we openly hope for individuation to triumph, but secretly plot mutiny with the forces within, drawn by the irresistible lure of deindividuation. Phillip Zimbardo

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 07, 2013

This is what I was expressing in my previous comment, but Graziano says it much better than I did

"In the attention schema theory, awareness is a description, one might say a model or a simulation, constructed by specialized systems in the brain. It is a cartoonish, somewhat inaccurate model of something real. The real item is attention. Attention is a data-handling trick. Incoming signals compete, some signals win the competition, and as a result the processing power of the brain is focused on those select, winning signals. Attention is a way of focusing the computing resources. "Awareness, in the theory, is the brain's own fuzzy description of attention. A brain attends to thing X; the brain constructs the description, "I am aware of thing X." By having some rough knowledge about its own attention, the brain can predict and partially control its own functioning. One of the key lines of evidence is that awareness and attention are closely related and yet are not the same thing. They can be separated. Like all models constructed by the brain, this one can slip and become inaccurate in certain threshold circumstances. Awareness is not attention; it is the brain's schematic and somewhat error-prone model of attention."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-graziano/consciousness-and-the-una_b_3844493.html?

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Aug 08, 2013

Re: the more freedom one has from unconscious determination

This is an arguable point. in that consciousness in the broader sense includes the "un" or "sub," as well as "non" elements of consciousness.
    To say that we need to be more conscious merely purports a sense that the other elements are insufficient. Rather it should be argued the awareness and attention are key to being conscious in a more purposeful way.

• Anonymous Icon

RealityOverScience Aug 08, 2013

*e

(But then again, there are iPad keyboards with a mind of their own, as well!)

• Anonymous Icon

RealityOverScience Aug 08, 2013

The physics taking place at the Universal Core determine what sentients do, as well as everything else going on in the world.

Without Consciousness of those physics, people are vulnerable to being unwittingly pushed and pulled by those processes, like it or not.

The more Conscious one is, the more the mathematics of those processes are altered, and hence, the more freedom one has from unconscious determination and external dpendency.

• Joseph Smith Jun 06, 2013

It seems that if we but knew what life is about we would know the answers to questions that are never answered. I see our lives as a process of connections--desiring to bring harmony, truth and justice into balance, a step in the natural process of moving from self to selflessness. In the twilight of life, and living in the tall timber, I experience nature's harmony. Strangely, I've become a musician. My music is on the Internet at http://joesgarageband1.bandcamp.com.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS