Discussions

Mentally ill, or something else?

Posted Aug. 7, 2011 by Maggie Finigan in Community Groups

commented on Sept. 24, 2013
by bestearth

Recently, I was diagnosed with psychosis. After talking to a psychiatrist, I was given medication and sent to hospital to recover. However, I have a small amount of doubt regarding whether I have it not.

For the past year or more I had "unusual" experiences. I would hear my name or someone else's name being spoken out of nowhere, sometimes I'd hear movement around my house when I was the only one at home, and the most frequent thing that would happen to me would be when I'd just see someone in the corner of my eye who would disappear when I tried to have a better look. None of these experiences were frightening in the least. They didn't distress me, or scare me, which would be normal for most people having usual hallucinations.

Mostly, I'm looking for other explanations for my supposed psychosis, but there is also a part of me that's afraid that me thinking this is just part of the psychosis.

• 91 Comments  
  • bestearth Sep 24, 2013

Ok. I am interested in the practical application of the allergy information. Anything can be dismissed . I hope what I post here may help someone to get well and improve and enjoy life again because I know what it's like to have been suicidal and lost my mental health. Symptoms of schizophrenia and hospitalised. I have also lost my physical health before that with an auto immune disease called Guillain Barre Syndrome. And I have recovered from both and no longer need any medication. I am able to do things that were impossible only 2 years ago. Like taking classes to learn a language, piano and singing.

Dustproduction, if you worked in critical care did you ever see a case of GBS?

This info is for 'entertainment' purposes only is my disclaimer. I take no responsibility for it's use or misuse.

I got the flouride out of my life. I don't brush with flouride toothpaste. I use hot salty(celtic sea salt) water.

I don't drink tap water. I got a Nikken Pimag water machine that produces beautiful filtered alkalised and mineralised drinking water which I put in a stainless steel bottle to carry around.

I rub transdermal magnesium oil into my shoulders every evening and take 1 tbsp of iodine liquid at the same time before bed.

I take a B complex practitioner brand with selenium and make a 2 tbsp yogurt smoothie with the following nutrient dense superfoods

Maca powder, Raw Cacao powder(chocolate), Camu Camu powder ( richest natural source of vit C in the world)

Live juices with a low speed juicer like a 'champion' or an auger type like 'greenpower': 2-3 times daily.

Cucumber zinger: 1 lebanese cucumber(or any, I take skin off if not organic), small piece ginger, 1/4 lemon

I take 1tsp hemp oil ( all EFA's) and 1 tsp coconut oil ( essential nutrients for brain health )

A good diet is assumed. Exercise helps open detoxification pathways. Take the stairs instead of the escalator, pushbike, whatever you like.

It takes a long time to detox the body and get the nutrients absorbing again it's a case of inch by inch. It's a big job for the body to purge toxins from a lifetime of ingestion. This is a lifelong cultivation and it's only for those who are determined to become healthy again.

I hope this may help someone. It should improve anyone's condition. I am also endeavouring to reduce gluten and cow milk products I have noticed a drop in weight already from less bread. All these have many alternatives. Gluten free breads made with rice flour and goats milk is more digestible than cows milk. I have experienced first hand the bodies remarkable ability to restore itself and that very definitely nutrition is the foundation of health. When I felt better at each stage I was inspired to research more and reduce more burdens on the body. My approach started small only the magnesium and iodine initially. I added the others as a felt better. I am feeling better and more inspired everyday. To LOVE of LIFE.

• Anonymous Icon

RealityOverScience Sep 23, 2013

This site seems to have evolved/devolved? into the Institute of Noetic Dust Production.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 23, 2013

1. Thou shall not attack a person's character but the argument itself. ("Ad hominem")

• bestearth Sep 23, 2013

You're so boring..I'm having a Christmas play this year.. would you like to play the scrooge?

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 23, 2013

Re: "The brain"

If one argues the "the brain" (and here it would be helpful to know which parts of the brain, since the brain is not a monolithic thing), are effected by specific foods, is it then agreed that the brain is the source of the mind in that it controls our feeling "real", our sense of personalization, our behaviors, our appropriate sexual responses, as well as all of our emotions and perceptions.
    We can't have it both ways.

• bestearth Sep 22, 2013

Thanks Billygreenjeans.

Sometimes I think medicine is a type of mystery school where the main mystery is health. But medicine is excellent at emergency care, I'll give it that but just on the degenerative illness side of things it's very lacking in my opinion.

From Dr. K.S.Mumby MB ChB MD PhD, 'Dietwise', p73 from the chapter " Brain Allergies".

"The brain is probably the most significant target organ of all. Food-brain reactions can cause a tremendous variety of effects, including but not limited to violent behaviour, inappropriate sexual responses,ADD and hyperkinetic syndrome, feeling unreal and depersonalised, hallucination, depression and frank schizophrenia. This is not surprising, since the brain is related to our perceptions and emotions. Any disturbance or malfunction, such as allergic inflammation, might manifest in an infinite variety of ways, since all symptoms are only altered moods and perceptions."

In my own words. Dietwise represents the new inflammation model emerging in medicine.It acknowledges the body's miraculous intelligence to heal when given a chance to. It only needs to be unburdened and the detoxification pathways opened and proper allergy free nutrition taken in.The inner physician makes a come back.

Degenerative illness is a process of cumulative damage through un-arrested inflamitory conditions of which allergies is the main one. All an allergy is: the body's inflamitory response to a substance not compatible with a person's body. In our modern world there are many toxins that we're exposed to and each one is a burden to the body. If the addition of all those burdens is larger than the tolerance threshold of that person they will break out in overt symptoms of illness though that's only the end road, the cause has been in play much longer.

The good news is that the body can regenerate if the burdens are reduced. An elimination diet (14-21)days can help to identify allergy foods. The top two allergins of the most burden are Gluten and Cows milk. Reducing these would unburden the body significantly and contribute to better physical/mental health.

Other resources 'Brain Allergies, the psychonutrient connection'(Keats 1991) Dwight D Kalita and William H Philpott

• Billgreenjeans Sep 22, 2013

"And I will note the this is a common cognitive bias, people extent a statement to conform to their BELIEF."

Yes for example" that the mind is confined to the brain". There is no real proof of this statement however those whose religion follows this BELIEF adamantly and vehemently argue that this is absolutely the gospel truth.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 22, 2013

Provide a statement where Scott-Mumby says "most". In the video you provided he says "some."

And I will note the this is a common cognitive bias, people extent a statement to conform to their BELIEF.

But let's remember that correlation is not causation.

• bestearth Sep 22, 2013

Most illnesses are caused by an unidentified food allergy. This includes mental illness. Listen to Doctor Keith Scott Mumby world's #1 food allergy detective.

http://www.dietwiseacademy.com/

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 12, 2013

I like the effort Kathie is making and I wish there was more peer support like it available to MI sufferers.

http://thedownfallofourdemons.blogspot.com/2013/09/mental-illness-recovery.html

• Billgreenjeans Sep 12, 2013

What was the message in "What About Bob?"

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 12, 2013

What was the message of the movie "What About Bob?"

• Billgreenjeans Sep 12, 2013

"Specifically, some clients: (i) regard their therapist as stronger and wiser; (ii) seek proximity through emotional connection and regular meetings; (iii) rely upon their therapist as a safe haven when they feel threatened; (iv) derive a sense of felt security from their therapist, who serves as a secure base for psychological exploration; and (v) experience separation anxiety when anticipating loss of their therapist."

Sounds like Dr. Leo Marvin and Bob Wiley in "What About Bob?"

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 11, 2013

Personally, I am working on a hypothesis around interpersonal relationships and how relationships and the lack of them can be contributing factors in mental illness and addiction issues. That research lead me to find this information.

"When Dr. Kandel mentioned that psychotherapy is a biological approach because it literally can change and even rewire the brain, he was referring primarily to Aaron Beck's cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). I have not seen any evidence that CBT can effectively rewire the brain, but there is a growing body of evidence that suggests that depth psychology, specifically psychodynamic and relational psychoanalytic approaches, can rewire the brain through the repair of faulty attachments schemas.

If we are to be healthy and functional human beings, we will by necessity be in relationship with others.
    Relational-needs are present throughout the entire life cycle from early infancy to old age. People do not outgrow their need for relationship. These needs are the basis of our humanness. Even as adults we attach to others because we perceive them as being able to satisfy our variety of needs. (Erskine, Attachment, Relational-Needs, and Psychotherapeutic Presence, 2011).
    Relational psychoanalysis is based on the premise that much of who we are as human beings is formed by our relationships to primary caregivers, our environment, and our peers. By this measure, then, dysfunction is based in unhealthy relationships and/or coping strategies in one of these areas. The psychotherapeutic process is also a relationship, and it is in the relationship more than the theory employed that allows for healing to occur.

According to Mikulincer and Shaver (2007, Attachment in Adulthood: Structure, Dynamics, and Change), some clients (many more so in trauma work) experience relational bonds with their therapists that are similar to infant attachment bonding patterns.
    Specifically, some clients: (i) regard their therapist as stronger and wiser; (ii) seek proximity through emotional connection and regular meetings; (iii) rely upon their therapist as a safe haven when they feel threatened; (iv) derive a sense of felt security from their therapist, who serves as a secure base for psychological exploration; and (v) experience separation anxiety when anticipating loss of their therapist. [Cited in Mallinckrodt, 2010, Journal of Social and Personal Relationships; 27(2)]"

• Billgreenjeans Sep 10, 2013

Perhaps all three would be advisable to began with. It all depends on who is leading the way to self healing as to which will get the best results. No two situation are exactly the same. Specific help geared to the individual works best.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 10, 2013

Now we have "healing thoughts, Homeopathy, and avoidance. Which works best for mental illness?

• Billgreenjeans Sep 09, 2013

Gluten intolerance is an allergy like many other allergies. Homeopathy has solutions for all allergies and gluten intolerance is no exception. Also skillfull use of the Bach Flower Remedies can also get at the cause of gluten intolerance and cure to problem.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 09, 2013

Intolerance to gluten is found in 1 in 133 individuals. Research says that this demonstrates an increase over the last twenty years. So what might be the cause.
    "There are various theories as to why, but the most prevalent is the "hygiene theory" - in other words, as a society we're just too clean. As a result, the immune system, largely controlled by the gut, receives inadequate stimulation, Guandalini said.

With autoimmune disorders, which include gluten intolerance and type 1 diabetes (but not allergies), the body attacks itself rather than the invasive substance, causing permanent damage if allowed to continue.

Unfortunately, with all the attention given gluten intolerance - a plethora of new cookbooks, gluten-free items on restaurant menus, new gluten-free food products - some people are adopting a gluten-free diet on their own.

This is always a bad idea, said both Guandalini and Carol M. Shilson, executive director of the center and a celiac disease sufferer herself.

"There's no scientific evidence that it's better for you if you don't have celiac disease," Shilson said.

The problem is, even in healthy people, gluten - a protein found in wheat, rye and barley (and possibly oats) - is not an easy substance for the body to digest. If you eliminate it from your diet for any amount of time, "it's very hard to go back to a regular diet."

That makes going gluten free a bad idea even for people with symptoms who suspect they are gluten-intolerant.

"Because it is a lifelong genetic disease that can be passed on, it's important to get a proper diagnosis," Shilson said. "And you have to be eating a regular diet (with gluten) or all the diagnostic tests will be rendered invalid."

Healthy people who eliminate gluten also are exposing themselves to "risks of some micronutrient deficiency or of excessive intake of carbohydrates," said Guandalini.

Some further facts: http://www.jsonline.com/features/food/92134239.html

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 09, 2013

There remains a vast amount of confusion that is created when thoughts are not integrated. Here is an example. In another discussion a comment was made regarding thoughts providing the ability to heal, "In this video Greg Braden describes that very definitely thought or more precisely a feeling can heal." In this discussion we find this statement, "Some people may bust out with a skin problem, some may experience unstable moods, others lethargy and fogginess. Different for everyone, some have a more tolerant constitution doesn't seem to affect them much until 60 or 70 when things start breaking.

Is the reason people get sick is because they lack the proper thinking? If they eat the wrong foods will thinking positive healthy thoughts heal them?
    How do we reconcile these competing ideas?

• bestearth Sep 04, 2013

Due to the heart..no, due to human emotion. Most consider the heart to be only a blood pump and maybe that's your definition of it.. The heart appears to be the organ that communicates with this mysterious field we are talking about. The heartmath institute depicts this toroidal field emanating out to 8 feet or so but that's only limited by the sensitivity of their measuring equipment.

Environment definitely effects gene expression. Like toxins for example. Even though science creates safety data sheets for all of them with a figure for safe exposure limits, they don't say much when it's clear that the addition of them that we are exposed to is way over the toxic limit of any one of them. Hence the cumulative damage factor rises a little more. The body has to cope with more now than just gluten and flouride.

When people are in fear the DNA twists up and doesn't function properly. There is some research to suggest that the spiral is a type of aerial made of a liquid crystal superconducting material which may play a role in communication cell to cell. If the spiral is in the wrong shape, twisted and tight due to negative, fear type stress or environmental stress that's going to affect bodily processes I would think.

On a practical note, I'll think about your comments more. Some alternatives to gluten. I have just begun the process of going gluten free. I bought some bread today made with rice flour. very yummy. Been looking at the recipe side, a plethora anything that can be made with wheat flour can be replaced with any of these flours.,all gluten free

coconut, almond, amarinth, buckwheat,corn, polenta, quinoa,rice,tef

"We have an infinite power against which no earthly force has the slightest existence" - Neville

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 03, 2013

This article The "Dark Side of Wheat" by Sayer Ji recounts the following:

"The "blueprint" model of genetics: one gene → one protein → one cellular behavior, which was once the holy grail of biology, has now been supplanted by a model of the cell where epigenetic factors (literally: "beyond the control of the gene") are primary in determining how DNA will be interpreted, translated and expressed. A single gene can be used by the cell to express a multitude of proteins and it is not the DNA itself that determines how or what genes will be expressed. Rather, we must look to the epigenetic factors to understand what makes a liver cell different from a skin cell or brain cell. All of these cells share the exact same 3 billion base pairs that make up our DNA code, but it is the epigenetic factors, e.g. regulatory proteins and post-translational modifications, that make the determination as to which genes to turn on and which to silence, resulting in each cell’s unique phenotype. Moreover, epigenetic factors are directly and indirectly influenced by the presence or absence of key nutrients in the diet, as well as exposures to chemicals, pathogens and other environmental influences."

It is these environmental influences that are addressed in "The Ghost in the Gene" so we are are a similar path here.

Still I disagree with the thought that the DNA changes due to the heart.

"The genetic information in a genome is held within genes, and the complete set of this information in an organism is called its genotype. A gene is a unit of heredity and is a region of DNA that influences a particular characteristic in an organism. Genes contain an open reading frame that can be transcribed, as well as regulatory sequences such as promoters and enhancers, which control the transcription of the open reading frame." .

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 03, 2013

Nice response. Allow me to address some of the points you have made.
    Re: we can change the expressions in our genes via coherent feelings of love and light heartedness.

I accept that this is the model that Braden is referencing and it is an old model but a popularly referenced one. Science explains it a little differently. I don't accept the notion that science rejects that everything is not connected, and in fact the theory of complexity tries to explain how things are connected in networks which have properties that demonstrate influential relationships between nodes. There is also the network of networks which describes relationships between networks. In this way, science attempts to understand not just that things are connected, but how they are connected.
    The social implications of disconnect is another matter. The brain intrinsically discriminates between what is foreign and what is familiar. See this article.

http://www.viewzone.com/bicam.html

The main theme to emerge... is that there appear to be two modes of thinking, verbal and nonverbal, represented rather separately in left and right hemispheres respectively and that our education system, as well as science in general, tends to neglect the nonverbal form of intellect. What it comes down to is that modern society discriminates against the right hemisphere.
    -Roger Sperry (1973)

• bestearth Sep 03, 2013

Yes, the wheat we eat today is genetically modified as I understand. the original was called 'eincorn' though it had some gluten todays variety has many times the gluten that eincorn had. The scientist who invented the new breed won a nobel prize because it increased yield and pest resistance and needed less water to grow. Sounds great but 'frankenwheat' as the doctor in the presentation calls it is like ingesting rubber and that's why causes such an inflammitory response in the body. In celiac suffers the fine villi in the gut which absorb nutrients are destroyed by it and he shows the electron images. In others there is scarring at the tip of the villi. DBCnatural is the name for people interested. They have support for people who want to try this approach and are based in Michegan.

Dusto, we can change the expressions in our genes via coherent feelings of love and light heartedness. If you did watch Braden maybe you didn't get it. But it goes like this :our emotions/feelings in our HEART can change our DNA: our DNA can change the behaviour of matter: the world is matter therefore our HEARTS can change our bodies and the world and other people. Human emotion is what speaks to this matrix not head talk.

Braden described the effect of the tragic misinterpretation of the original Michelson Morley experiment, 1887, which dismissed the connective field between all matter as non existent. A tragedy ensued, science gained the impetus to regard space as empty and therefore that every'thing' is literally separate. This helped propel our world down the path of separation where everything is assumed disconnected until science proves that it is connected. The social implications of this separation is war, where it takes the form 'us and them'. Whereas, I believe that it's saner to presume that everything is connected and that if you can't prove it then you've missed something and/or don't have much heart or imagination.

Braden is a hero because he is inspiring to me. He has a vision. He doesn't make sense to you but to me and many others he does.

here's the 'Truth about Gluten' presentation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU6jVEwpjnE

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 02, 2013

IF there is a connection to gluten, it is secondary in many cases since there is evidence that I have posted somewhere here to epigenetic research the show intergenerational connections to high levels of stress that can have several long time health affects and shorten life.

See "The Ghost in the Gene"

"In a remote town in northern Sweden there is evidence for this radical idea. Lying in Överkalix's parish registries of births and deaths and its detailed harvest records is a secret that confounds traditional scientific thinking. Marcus Pembrey, a Professor of Clinical Genetics at the Institute of Child Health in London, in collaboration with Swedish researcher Lars Olov Bygren, has found evidence in these records of an environmental effect being passed down the generations. They have shown that a famine at critical times in the lives of the grandparents can affect the life expectancy of the grandchildren. This is the first evidence that an environmental effect can be inherited in humans."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehwFVgQ82ZY

• charliet Sep 02, 2013

Do a search on gluten intolerance, physical and mental issues have been linked to gluten and it is becoming more prevalent in the world. May also have some links to genetically altered plants.

• bestearth Sep 02, 2013

Interesting. I think you are on the right track for a skeptical one.

Believe it or not I was in the army reserve when younger and every meal had loads of bread. We were told it was to 'block us up' so that when we were in the bush running around with a rifle, screaming, looking for non-existent enemies we wouldn't have to go to the toilet. At the time it did not even register what they had just said. That's how asleep I was back then. I just shake my head now.

I don't no how many times I was told "you're not paid to think" and 'when I say jump you say?" that's right "how high sir?" also "earn and learn soldier, earn and learn" . looking back it's clear now that some of the officers and soldiers were clinically deranged. I could go on but I question the sanity of signing up to learn how to kill your own brothers and sisters over something that can be solved with discussion.

So that's it, it's the bread? It's a contributor I believe. Another part is a culture that doesn't support self reflection or facing your own soul. I think it was Jung who said that man will do anything to avoid facing his own soul. Running onto a battlefield is one way to avoid it.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 02, 2013

So that's it. Bread is the source of mental illness?

Mental health problems in the military are on the rise and pose a growing challenge to active duty forces, the Congressional Research Service said in a major new report on the subject.

“Between 2001 and 2011, the rate of mental health diagnoses among active duty service-members increased approximately 65%. A total of 936,283 service-members, or former service-members during their period of service, have been diagnosed with at least one mental disorder over this time period. Nearly 49% of these service-members were diagnosed with more than one mental disorder,” the CRS report said. “Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Other Mental Health Problems in the Military: Oversight Issues for Congress.”)

Are these soldiers simply eating more bread than the rest of us?

But there is this:

"So all we have is a mystery - why the strange immune reaction to wheat? Best I can consolidate from all this information - it may be that folks with bipolar disorder have gut issues, and gut issues are inflammatory issues, and a higher IgG response to gliadin occurs, and inflammation causes the body to release cytokines and general badness, and those cytokines may predispose the genetically vulnerable to psychosis. Also, there may be particular bad inflammation associated with the exorphins in wheat being neuroactive. And is it just wheat? "

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201108/wheat-and-serious-mental-illness

• bestearth Sep 01, 2013

In the old days people sometimes called mental illness 'bread madness'. It is still around and these days science is zeroing in on the allergetic responses to certain substances in wheat products. Turns out wheat is not that good for us. What's used to make some glues..wheat. In latin gluten means 'glue'. So what happens if you injest too much, quite a few things but it turns to glue as expected in the gut and pastes up over the many billions of fine villi that absorb nutrients for us from the food we eat. The result, a steady decline in nutrient uptake.

When the nutrient bank depletes our 70 trillion cells start running down, if it keeps dropping symptoms of health disappear and symptoms of illness start to appear. people have different reactions to the substances in wheat. Aspartic acid is a toxin to the brain and nervous system. And this is the substance that makes bread taste good?

The Roman empire was know as the wheat empire, paid their soldiers in wheat..could it be linked to their lust for violent entertainment that continues even today?

Some people may bust out with a skin problem, some may experience unstable moods, others lethargy and fogginess. Different for everyone, some have a more tolerant constitution doesn't seem to affect them much until 60 or 70 when things start breaking (mysteriously). Ooops I got cancer..how did that happen, I didn't have it last week? The grounds for were set long ago is the truth.

I'm convinced that many problems stem from the cumulative damage to our bodily systems from substanes which shouldn't be anywhere near let alone in a human body..flouride being another one, it goes on and on.

Dusto ..why look at contraptions when all this is entirely preventable?

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/dark-side-wheat-new-perspectives-celiac-disease-wheat-intolerance-sayer-ji

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU6jVEwpjnE (The truth about gluten :A must watch for anyone feeling suicidal or just anyone)

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Aug 29, 2013

The TEDTalk by Eleanor Longden: "The Voices in My Head", got me wondering about how this process of coming to terms with ones self, retraining the brain, might be aided by tools we currently have available us, as an alternative to pharmaceuticals. I am aware of neurofeedback, but I've never tried it. This research, which uses a neurofeedback like, specifically triggered approach, suggests they are such alternatives on the horizon.

Acquired self-control of insula cortex modulates emotion recognition and brain network connectivity in schizophrenia

Real-time functional magnetic resonance imaging (rtfMRI) is a novel technique that has allowed subjects to achieve self-regulation of circumscribed brain regions. Despite its anticipated therapeutic benefits, there is no report on successful application of this technique in psychiatric populations. The objectives of the present study were to train schizophrenia patients to achieve volitional control of bilateral anterior insula cortex on multiple days, and to explore the effect of learned self-regulation on face emotion recognition (an extensively studied deficit in schizophrenia) and on brain network connectivity. Nine patients with schizophrenia were trained to regulate the hemodynamic response in bilateral anterior insula with contingent rtfMRI neurofeedback, through a 2-weeks training. At the end of the training stage, patients performed a face emotion recognition task to explore behavioral effects of learned self-regulation. A learning effect in self-regulation was found for bilateral anterior insula, which persisted through the training. Following successful self-regulation, patients recognized disgust faces more accurately and happy faces less accurately. Improvements in disgust recognition were correlated with levels of self-activation of right insula. RtfMRI training led to an increase in the number of the incoming and outgoing effective connections of the anterior insula. This study shows for the first time that patients with schizophrenia can learn volitional brain regulation by rtfMRI feedback training leading to changes in the perception of emotions and modulations of the brain network connectivity. These findings open the door for further studies of rtfMRI in severely ill psychiatric populations, and possible therapeutic applications. Hum Brain Mapp, 2013. © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hbm.21427/full

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Aug 29, 2013

So, is the purpose of therapy to learn to be better at lying (about ourselves)? "Absolutely" was the response of Julian Keenan, a neuroscientist that researches self deception.

"I think a lot of self deceptions goes a long way, that giving yourself positive affirmations in the mirror, whether you believe them or not, would probably be the route I would suggest taking. You know, surrounding yourself with people who, even though you know they're lying to you, as long as you're saying good things, that’s probably a healthy way to go. We used to think people with clinical depression didn’t see the world realistically, they saw it in an overly negative light. Well, it turns out, they're seeing it quite realistically and it's you and I who were seeing it in an overly rosy light, we're the ones not in reality. So, the suggestion is that reality is a somewhat scary place to be."
    http://ttbook.org/book/neuroscience-self

• Anonymous Icon

rameshwar Aug 28, 2013

Dear Maggie, i have been introduced to this field of science and spirituality recently. The topic i want to discuss is related to dreams or subconscious mind. Let us take this situation , there is this person say X. X during his childhood used to be sick often. Often, here is mysterious as, when this child goes to school ,hes normal but once he returns back he falls sick. he gets this same dream when hes sick , not once o twice but every time the same dream. it was a dream with just white blocks in white space and a needle , nothing more . he always wanted to control that dream. As he grew up he stopped getting sick often and the same dream was only repeated once but since then he could control his dreams or you can say he knew he was dreaming. Now he gets different dreams but he can withhold the dream as much as he wanted. sometimes he waited for the dream to end. he now always knew hes dreaming when he dream't and would enjoy the dream as far as he wanted to and then open his eyes for the dream to end. but the problem is he has never been able to choose the subject of dream, he did try few times but he couldn't and never could he change the end except opening his eyes.
    So my question here is "can the person choose the subject of his dreams like, he wants to play in dream or run or hold someone in dream." is it possible?

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Aug 27, 2013

I love TEDTalks.

"To all appearances, Eleanor Longden was just like every other student, heading to college full of promise and without a care in the world. That was until the voices in her head started talking. Initially innocuous, these internal narrators became increasingly antagonistic and dictatorial, turning her life into a living nightmare. Diagnosed with schizophrenia, hospitalized, drugged, Longden was discarded by a system that didn't know how to help her. Longden tells the moving tale of her years-long journey back to mental health, and makes the case that it was through learning to listen to her voices that she was able to survive."

http://www.ted.com/talks/eleanor_longden_the_voices_in_my_head.html

• bestearth Aug 27, 2013

This may be helpful in describing the importance of nutrition in mental health. Cheers.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/confessions-renegade-psychiatrist

• bestearth Aug 22, 2013

I will vainly persist. Some good information for those interested in improving their mental and physical health through nutrition. These sites have plenty of scientific research papers to back the claims of nutritional benefit.

www.NaturalNews.com
    www.GreenMedInfo.com
    www.doctoryourself.com

If you would like to see some practical enlightenment these two fit the bill. I might get a poster of these guys for my wall, maybe some of their immense spirit will rub off on me.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_oliver.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzZzZ_qpZ4w

• Billgreenjeans Aug 18, 2013

Yes Robert Kegan books are very interesting. dustproduction for got to give the URL for where you can purchase these books so here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Kegan/e/B000AP7UY4

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Aug 18, 2013

Have you read anything by Robert Kegan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mW4LTqRJDW8#at=203

In his book The Evolving Self (1982), Kegan explores human life problems from the perspective of a single process which he calls meaning-making, the activity of making sense of experience through discovering and resolving problems. "Thus it is not that a person makes meaning, as much as that activity of being a person is the activity of meaning-making," Kegan says.[3] Meaning-making is a lifelong activity that begins in earliest infancy and can evolve in complexity through a series of "evolutionary truces" (or "evolutionary balances") that establish a balance between self and other (in psychological terms), or subject and object (in philosophical terms), or organism and environment (in biological terms).[4] Each evolutionary truce is both an achievement of and a constraint on our meaning-making, possessing both strengths and limitations.[5] And each evolutionary truce presents a new solution to the lifelong tension between how people are connected, attached, and included, on the one hand (integration), and how people are distinct, independent, and autonomous on the other (differentiation).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kegan

• bestearth Aug 17, 2013

When you fell to Earth, did you hit every branch of the serious tree.?

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Aug 17, 2013

NOTE TO COMMENTERS:

While I usually tend toward ignoring personal attacks, one must wonder how tolerant a group such as this needs to be?
    The conversation "Chaos Theory" was stared due to the similar types of comments posted by an individual, personal attacks Comments of this nature are evident here.
    Where do WE draw a line? Should we tolerate ad homenim and what amounts to lies and defamation, when the purpose of these discusses are to engage in thoughtful discuss.

And more importantly, what is the cause of this behavior?

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Aug 17, 2013

RE: "Does your employer ......

See "ad homenim" An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument.[2] Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as an informal fallacy,[3][4][5] more precisely an irrelevance.[6]

The rest of the comment can stand on its own merit: "I have no vested interest in PYSCH-K nor do I know Rob Williams personally, it is only my intuition that leads me to believe that this is a tool that can help anyone make a happier life. I have never taken a PYSCH-K workshop although I would like to do so."

A ringing endorsement. Consider the source as they say.

• bestearth Aug 17, 2013

Billy G, thanks for your comment about reprogramming. I am familiar with that approach while it may work for those that are reasonably balanced it would not for those that suffer the more severe kind. These people are hyper intuitives untempered by rationality and they would run from anything that resembles a 'method'. They battle voices, severe mood swings and depression. I know that pychiatry doesn't care about nutrition plus it is difficult to administer and keep people with bad habits on it.

I guess I was lucky that I had the will to change and the inner guide to seek a way out on my own. I had to learn to be my own best friend and not rely on others for esteem, but to gain it from following my own best principles which I held higher than most any'thing'. I maintain that I don't really know why people suffer these types of illness just that a nutrient deficiency spiral my be primary here. I believe the body is so intelligent and flexible that it can use substandard molecules in the absence of natural ones. For example it can use transfats instead of proper fatty acids for brain cell receptors. The transfat is 'J' shaped doesn't fit in the cell dock properly but it suffices until the person injests something better. Maybe I'll list some o the things that helped me later. I think the posts should show respect for the thread topic and i try as much as possible to follow these basic ideas..

Show don't tell
    Express don't impress
    Reveal don't conceal

I picked these up from a writing course. They are called 'the three tenants' of good writing. And if someone had no philosophy to live by they would also make good tenants for living, I would think.

• Billgreenjeans Aug 16, 2013

@ dustproduction

Why are you so afraid of people changing there life for the better? Fear should never be a motivation for important or any decisions. Does your employer fear lose of revenue and power because of people reprogramming there subconscious? They might not need any of your employers drugs.

For all that read this be assured that dustproduction works for interest that are in business to gain profits and not for any of our well being because he has never denied this observation. He only shifts the subject matter when questions hit home about his work relation with big interest. Now he is trying to discredit Robert Williams, who he does not know nor has he personally experience PYSCH-K. Any information he has is based on hearsay and his own prejudice.
    I have no vested interest in PYSCH-K nor do I know Rob Williams personally, it is only my intuition that leads me to believe that this is a tool that can help anyone make a happier life. I have never taken a PYSCH-K workshop although I would like to do so. As far as I know no one reading this board is in slavery and forced to go to a PYSCH-K workshop. I think even dustproduction could benefit from a PYSCH-K workshop.

dustproduction is to be pitied.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Aug 16, 2013

I will post this for the benefit of others that might be moved to investigate "Psych-K"

See the reviews here of Mr. Williams book, some good, some bad.

http://www.amazon.com/kindle-store/dp/B00AYZ7ELO

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Aug 16, 2013

How limited is your knowledge Mr. Greenjeans? What is it about these person, or PSYCH_K that appeals to you?
    Robert M. Williams has a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Philosophy from the University of California at Los Angeles and a Masters Degree in Counseling and Personnel Services from the University of Colorado.

There is NOTHING special about what this person is selling.

• Billgreenjeans Aug 16, 2013

While nutrition has a great deal to do with good mental health and it should not be discounted, my experience has been that mental abnormalities are ways to protect us from unusual stresses or anxieties. I once had a situation in which it seems as if I was constantly in a daze in which nothing was clear. When anyone spoke to me I had to ask them to repeat their statement because it was not clear what was said. This went on for several weeks. I took a short vacation and when I returned to work the situation had corrected its self. What caused this is still a mystery because it never returned. I did have a change in relationships after I returned to work and perhaps that helped. I will add that my work at that time was extremely stressful and life threading to me and it was almost twenty four hours a day work or potential working twenty four hours being on call continually. In addition my diet was not the best so good nutrition was a issue as well. Correct nutrition can solve a lot of mental stresses and problems. Reprogramming the subconscious mind has demonstrated good rapid result. Explained here: http://www.blubrry.com/beyond50radio/230037/episode-10-how-to-re-program-your-subconscious-mind-easily/

• bestearth Aug 16, 2013

I'd like to write something practical for those who are suffering a mental illness of some kind. There's a great site doctoryourself.com by Andrew W Saul has colated much useful and researched material for all things natural and healthy. It seems very quiet here but if it helps a single person it would be worth it.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/psychiatry.html

You may like to read the healthy quotes page too, there are some doosies about the medical professions by famous people. I am off medication all together by following my own nutrition method and am now using superfoods and fresh vege juices too plus a pretty normal diet nothing extreme. Cheers.

• bestearth Aug 07, 2013

Hello GailN.

Thanks for your post. The lady who started this discussion is not hear anymore, but it's related to the unusual experiences people like us seem to have. i have found that it's best to be quiet around those who won't understand. Religious fundamentalists, doctors etc, infact most people generally I learned it's best to only share with those who won't demonise me. That whittles it down a fair bit. I have learned to look at people's eyes and from their presence guage how open they are. Phychiatrists are the worst like you mentioned. I dont' go to them anymore. I was in hospital 3 years ago for 2 months and they put me on heavy meds like zyprexa and effexor. I am off them now after making my own supplemnt protocol and took the nutritional approach I tapered off them over 7 months. The suicidal depressions, touch wood, alleviated.

You are lucky that the voice your hearing is wise and loving. Many people have the opposite type of voice, one that damns them. I don't really know what's going on with these types of illnesses. I don't think it's entirely a brain fault, it may be in some cases. i think nutrition has a role to play and unidentified allergies are perhaps causing brain inflammations in some people which then contributes to mental problems. The patients in hostpital had shocking diets, all that sugar they were sucking down couldn't be helpful. But mostly the doctors won't acknowledge the spirit of a person. I think that's were the main thing is. For now the drugs for most take the edge off things by sedation and that's the best they can do right now because they are doing well prescribing pharmaceuticals and have become lazy and they have no other approach but fortunately I had other ideas. But I am still labelled disabled because I am not 'normal'. I do not have the 'normal' responses that form their yardsticks and truthfully, I'm glad. It's more important to know your own values, what you care about most, free of the need to impress or seek approval. To thine own self be true..

• Anonymous Icon

GailN Aug 05, 2013

I have a brother and a sister with schizophrenia as well as a brother and a sister with bipolar.

I have experienced all of what you said but I am not afflicted with these illnesses. The difference between me and them is that their experiences scare them. Mine never did. There was a time when I was 12 when I could have regular conversations with a voice. It was so wise. It knew many things I never even considered and could point me to a new persepective or way of looking at things that made me feel better. I made the mistake of telling someone about "my voice" and I was told that I was talking with the devil. Word got around. I lost my friends. I was ashamed. the most wonderful thing every to happen to me was silenced by my fear.

If hearing your name or names, and seeing beings out of the corner of your eye until you try to look qualifies you as delusional, then something is wrong with the psychiatrist who is prescribing. Dr. Bem or Bern (not sure which) of Cornell, did a study about paranormal. He introduced it by saying that of all careers, psychology/psychiatry are most disbelieving of it. If there is more that you haven't told us, then please expand. I hate feeling like I am giving medical advice when I know how much damage mental illnesses do to lives. Then again, if you are awake and someone still asleep doesn't recognize it, you need to protect yourself.

• bestearth Jul 31, 2013

There's a good article by Jon Rappoport about 'Psychiatry as mystical symbolism", having been thru the system I found it very insightful. Maybe you will too..here's the first paragraphs and link to whole article.

Psychiatry as mystical symbolism
    Jul 31
    by Jon Rappoport
    Psychiatry as mystical symbolism

by Jon Rappoport

July 31, 2013

www.nomorefakenews.com

If you’re a propagandist, you’ll always be on the lookout for symbols that seem to have very specific meaning…but fade into obscurity and dead-end in a nowhere land.

Such symbols can snare many people and drag them into slave-camps of the mind.

If you want people to become far more ignorant than they already are, as well, you need look no further than the field of psychiatry, which is rife with useful symbols, which are…

The names of so-called mental disorders. There are about 300 in the official psychiatric bible. They appear to designate actual mental states, but upon close inspection, they’re empty of scientific meaning.

Pretending to represent erudite research, they impart gibberish.

Perfect.

An acceptance of these mental-disorder symbols automatically short-circuits any investigation of the mind’s true potential or power.

False map, no authentic territory, no treasure.

As a psychiatrist who left his profession in disgust once wrote me, “I was playing a shell game with my patients. I could label a person with one disorder, prescribe a drug, then follow up with a new drug, eventually diagnose a new disorder, combine drugs, adjust the dosages, and go on this way for many appointments. But all the labels were shams…”

They’re symbols. They appear to stand for something solid, but they don’t.

As I’ve shown in several articles, all so-called mental disorders are based on no definitive diagnostic tests. No saliva, no blood, no genes, no brain scans, for any of the 300 labels.

So what we have in psychiatry is a secular organized religion, a Tower of Babble outfitted with thousands of entirely fictional symbols. Which the priests know how to use. They have that training.

People in the general population are asking for shorthand explanations, and the professional symbol-talkers fulfill that need. That’s the exchange. That’s the transaction. The psychiatrist announces a symbol, which is the label for a disorder, the patient asks what it means, and the doctor explains.

Without the symbol, however, nothing happens. Nothing is consummated.

Give a human a symbol and he’s all ears. He wants to know. He must know. A symbol functions like a scent to a dog. He has to track it down.

Heavily organized religions all operate in this way. The priest, who has superior arcane knowledge, mentions a few symbols that decorate a story. The prospective adherent is intensely curious. He wants to know what the signs point to.

rest of article
    http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/psychiatry-as-mystical-symbolism/

• NoetPoet Jun 19, 2013

Maggie,

Your diagnosis reminded me of a quote from Jiddu Krishnamurti: "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

The society that diagnoses you as sick is itself sick, so where does that leave you? Based on what you've said in your opening post, I believe that in other societies you would have been regarded as a seer, and you would have been treated and trained accordingly. Trust modern Western medicine to only see the symptoms and superficialities of the issue...

• Joseph Smith Jun 17, 2013

bestearth, famous psychologist Carl Jung came up with synchronicity from his time in a mental hospital studying schizophrenia. My oldest daughter, now deceased, was psychic. She informed me of this when she was eight. She proved it. When she was 18, she was diagnosed as schizophrenic. Autistic children can do some amazing things. Could it be that normal people are brainwashed into being less than they are?

When I was 49, with my life in ruins, I cut from the herd, the pioneer seeking to find the real me. I discovered who I really was. After that, when everything should have gone wrong, everything went right. Everything is in divine order.

• bestearth Jun 16, 2013

In the hospital the patients were largely irrational. They did not have the presence of mind to assess themselves. When I was in there surrounded by people with severe schizophrenia I still had enough awareness to observe and think even though my outward syptoms were assessed as the same.

I think mental illness is like a barometer that measures the mental balance of society. A bit like an instrument on a dashboard measures the health or otherwise of some system. If society generally is not balanced between the rational and intuitive then that imbalance gets expressed through those who are most sensitive. Canaries in the coal mine if you like. In a society that undervalues the intuitive, contemplative state then the first to go mad(overtly) will be the contemplative ,intuitive types. In particular the ones who can't subscribe to the irrationality of the world and prefer their own irrational world. The ones who don't have the personality structure to suppress the feelings that say 'something is not right in the world'. Many people have these feelings but cope by distracting themselves with entertainments or stay busy with work.

The hospital was full of intuitives with no avenues to explore it or develop it. I told my psychiatrist that the soul is an energy field that animates the physical body. I said it looks the same, has the same nerve endings that are fused with the physical ones and control all higher functions. i talked about how we are a holographic fragment of God and are in a process of growing back out into the original image. The look of incredulousness that came over him I won't forget. I saw his eyes roll back and he teetered on his chair shaking his head and making 'tdse, tdse, tdse' sounds like a kangaroo. I had the distinct feeling I should shutup now cos I felt he was going to up the dosages. Then he said" You can believe that nonsense but don't ever expect me to".

In the hospital I also received 5 unsolicited pychic readings from patients. One man called me Saint James, said I was his reincarnation, Another man said I was a war criminal from nazi times and sent here for punishment into a life of mental illness. Another lady alternated between calling me God and the devil. And another lady every morning would say to me, "Your a God-child." and would then say that she loved me.

Sometimes it makes me wonder who exactly is mentally ill.

• reikihealer1956 Jun 10, 2013

Explore the more holistic path, start by assessing your life, body and mind wellbeing: look at diet, put healthy fuel in and your mind and body will be healthy (also consider that you may be going through a personal transformation)
    I had similar symptoms to you many years ago but did not go near a conventional medical practitioner, as an ex nurse (now healer) I new better than to hand myself over to being labelled and drugged.
    I found yoga. meditation and diet to be my salvation. I now eat only organic food (much of which I grow myself in a very small garden) and mainly raw, I am vegetarian and ingest lots of home juiced veg drinks and fruit and nut smoothies, ommiting nearly all dairy, also I gave up wheat and therefore gluton. The difference is amazing, even my perception of life has changed and my healing ability has increased.
    I still enjoy a little wine and chocolate. There are plenty of good books on raw eating , check out Amazon.
    Hope you discover your healer and enjoy your life path.

• bestearth Jun 08, 2013

I'm reading Professor Keith Scott Mumby's book " Diet Wise". He says much mental illness symptoms are related to allergies that specifically target the brain. Wheat being one of the most commom culprits. He has structured an elimination diet to zero in on the allergy and has had excellent results with people diagnosed with schizophrenia and mental disability even. People who got their lives back after other doctors said they'd be on medication the rest of their lives. Fortunately someone had other ideas. The story of a lady named Susan,
    struck me the most, this doctor identified her allergies and her syptoms of mental handicap disappeared, her story appeared in the german magazine 'Bella', a double page spread titled "Prisoner No More", her quote,

"This morning I tied my own shoelaces- tied them into neat little bows.
    And I did it all on my own- without any help from Mum or Dad.
    "You probably think that's no great achievement for a 39-year-old
    woman but ,believe me, it's a very big step and I feel terribly proud.
    "You see most of my life I have been classed as "mentally handicapped" and even the simplest tasks were well beyond me.
    " Although I could see, hear, smell, taste....I simply couldn't understand what my senses were telling me. The messages were all jumbled. So the world passed me by in a confused, bewildering blur.
    "It's only in the last few months I've come out into the real world- and it's fantastic.
    I feel as if I've been reborn or, at least released from prison after serving a long harsh sentence."

Susans allergies were beef , dairy products, wheat and tomatoes. There are many more cases in this book of people recovering most of their brain function which shows that some people, the ones that are prone to brain imflamation via allergies have to make a special effort in order to regain their minds and their lives.

• Joseph Smith May 29, 2013

With billions of people looking to heaven for answers, we get a picture of a 400 pound bag of blubber, the boss of a civil service union asleep at his desk. Our world is currently in turmoil. It isn’t working. Augustine said, "Distinguish the ages, and the Scriptures harmonize." In Luke 21, Jesus said there would be signs in the sun, moon and stars, and there would be distress among the nations. He said when this occurs the kingdom of God would come. Why look to an external god for answers?

With Jesus predicted by Persian astrologers, we now find Christians calling astrology witch brew. Coincidentally, Jesus was born at the beginning of the Age of Pisces, an age when man looks externally for answers—actually to heaven—realistically though, to a God of man's making. Can we agree on that?

The ancients gave the Age of Pisces a symbol of two fish swimming in opposite directions, an age of division and no clear direction. We are now at the dawn of the Age of Aquarius, when we become our brother's keeper.

In Genesis1, "And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters," and further, "waters which were above the firmament: and it was so." Aquarius has the symbol of the water-bearer. It is an age when we become our brother's keeper, when we become more spiritual, say astrologers. Waters above the firmament--water the elixir of life--I went to sea for two years and came back reborn. Ever since I've lived a charmed life.

At age 87, I'm not on any prescription drugs. I've not been to a doctor for anymore than a checkup for over two years. I look within for my answers. There must be some connection with universal consciousness. Voices of the past are in my thoughts. I get the idea that they want me to help make this a better place, as they are going to come back to deal with what I leave them. They want to keep me alive and well.

• Billgreenjeans May 28, 2013

“Modern medicine has thus become largely a question of giving a name to a complaint, and then of treating its signs and symptoms. This is neither intelligent nor scientific and certainly no matter for complacency and, still less for ignoring any theory which might lead to the truth.”
    Dr. Aurbrey T. Westlake B.A., M.B., B. Chir. (Cantab), M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., F.I.Pis. Med. “The Pattern of Health”

A long time ago in a far distant land a doctor( of sorts)was payed on a regular bases by his clients (villagers) as long as they were healthy the minute the became ill the client stop payment and did not resume it until the good health returned. Today doctors have a conflict of interest.

• Joseph Smith May 23, 2013

So, Maggie, you know deep within you it isn't psychosis. In numerology, the number nine is selflessness and compassion. Encompassing a love for all, it applies its energy to universal service. It bestows an impersonal but just view of life, one that is generous, benevolent and patient. This is the artist or the thinker who has developed skills through the preceding steps and is now ready to share his or her knowledge with the rest of the world.

God created you to give back to the universe some measure of what you learn in this life.

We don't need a God's eye view of our planet from space to know our special endowment. Ancient numerologists reasoned that the number four was stability, system, order--the law. Four is the builder submitting to earthly things where form and substance are the predominant elements. Going to the Constitution led me to law professor Edward S. Corwin's "The 'Higher Law' Background of American Constitutional Law." We read therein that the Roman judge Cicero, following the philosophy of Greek Stoics: that justice exists by nature, and not of any definition or principle, wrote Cicero, "We are born for justice and right is not the mere arbitrary construction of opinion but an institution of nature," what does this tell you about government entitlement? The reason America is going morally, spiritually, and fiscally bankrupt is falling for the idea that you need government to take care of you, consequently a Nazi IRS to confiscate your property.. You lose sight of who you really are, a co-creator of our reality.

When I was first on my own, I was having a repeating dream of flying on the back of a giant bird through a narrow, winding canyon. I couldn't see ahead. I woke up in a cold sweat, terrified.

In my early life, so to speak, everything was handed to me on a silver platter. I met a professional astrologer at a Parents Without Partners meeting. I hired him to create my astrological chart. I was not impressed. My chart didn't describe the person I knew to be me. I was at the turning point in my life. I became the person my astrologer described. We come into this world predestined, and with choice. In my early life I took the path of least resistance, and now in a deep hole, challenged to find a way out.

It is very interesting that I would go for the Constitution. I blamed government for my failure. I wasn't going to take it. When I studied the Constitution, I heard voices of the past speaking to me, challenging me. Instead of "putt the blame on Maime," it was how to beat my oppressors. Lo and behold I beat them. Imagine that!

Unbelievably, we were created with the mental capacity of becoming a member of the Cosmos. In Genesis 1:26, "And God said, Let us make man in our image," before man had arrived on earth.

In "Cosmos and Psyche," distinguished philosopher and cultural historian Richard Tarnas brings attention to the general feeling that there is a sense of epochal closure in us--the destruction of an earlier mode of life.

Both WWI and WWII began "in precise coincidence virtually exact hard-aspect alignments of Saturn and Pluto. Coincidentally, in my astrological chart we find that with Saturn in its most favorable aspect alignment with Pluto I would be natively blessed with understanding of the subtle workings of the Cosmos.

Coincidentally, in the month and year that President Obama was first elected, November 2008, Saturn and Pluto began their worst alignments. Tarnas points out an astonishingly consistent correspondence between planetary alignments and the archetypal patterns of human history.

Jesus arrived, according to the prediction of Persian astrologers, at the beginning of the Age of Pisces, whose symbol is two fish swimming in opposite directions. Jesus said, "in earth as it is in heaven....But seek ye first the kingdom of God." He said the kingdom of God is in you. You are not mentally bound to earth.

Jesus predicted his second coming in Luke 21, according to signs in the sun, moon and stars. We're now entering the Age of Aquarius, whose sign is the water-bearer. In the Age of Aquarius, Persian astrologers predicted thousands of years back, we become our brother's keeper. I wonder why you don't hear this.

• Joseph Smith May 22, 2013

It is one thing to be privileged to escape this planet, to be divinely inspired, and quite another to be confined by gravity to this cesspool of moral corruption. How do we mentally escape the self-proclaimed aristocracy of demigods who see themselves as the world's saviors?

When my wife and I were both working to produce a modest existence, my wife received a six page questionnaire from the IRS. She had filed "tax exempt" legally and legitimately. The IRS was determined to nab tax protesters filing "tax exempt," illegally. The questionnaire did not have an OMB number, which is required by law, obviously because the paperwork reduction act forbid it. My wife threw the questionnaire in the trash. The IRS sent my wife a letter stating therein that I she didn't pay $35,000 in tax and penalty immediately that the IRS was authorized to seize our home and anything else, if need be, to pay the tax my wife allegedly owed. it was a bluff. The IRS has now taken the Fifth. They know they operate above the law.

My neighbor, just yesterday, told me the IRS called him in to discuss his tax issue. He said that the IRS demanded the impossible. He used foul language. Two armed guards escorted him out. My neighbor said the IRS telephoned him to say that he was barred from ever again entering the IRS office and that if he didn't immediately pay the tax he owned the IRS was authorized to seize his home and anything else he owned, if need be, to pay the tax he owed.

My neighbor leaves for work at 3:30 A.M. every day. He makes extra money by fixing junked items and selling them. His wife works as a waitress. They barely get by.

During WW II, I was a combat rifleman. When I left the service, my ears were permanently ringing. Gradually, I lost 70 percent of my hearing. I'm now a disabled veteran. During my recent annual checkup at the Veteran's hospital, my doctor asked me if I thought the world was against me; if I had trouble getting along with friends and family; if I was suicidal; if I ever thought about taking out my anger on people. My government doctor had no evidence that I had a mental problem. Why do you suppose he would be treating me like a mental case? I have the feeling that government is getting nervous about the controls it has imposed.

Bestearth: "I was getting psychically attacked by something." Playing the blame game is normal. I blamed government for ruining my life. I was not going to take it. I did something about it. I was right, the government wrong! So there you have it. Lo and behold, I found my life calling. The government is always wrong.

Bestearth's Apr 29 comment made me think back. In 1975, my life in ruins, at age 49, my business enterprise on the rocks, my second wife divorcing me, what was the use of going on. I wished I would die. It's a normal reaction. My wife suggested that I go to a psychiatrist. Everyone I knew thought I'd lost my mind. It was the beginning of a miracle. I was forced to look within and find who I really was.

I got on my path of destiny. When everything should have gone wrong, according to what we are taught, everything started going right.

Only a fool could think the world is currently progressing. Progressive government is taking us back. There is no question that we are heading for a drastic change. And how we hate change! It forces us out of our comfort zones. We try not to think about it—take the position that what will be will be. It always works out in the end. Just pray to Almighty God in heaven. Sorry about that. What will be is what the resourceful say will be—for we are not like other life. For us, nothing begins; nothing ends; everything renews, for we are immortal.

We read in “The Physics of Consciousness,” authored by brain doctor and quantum physicist Evan Harris Walker, my guru, that objective reality is “a flawed and incomplete conception of reality. We find that what we thought was an independent and objective physical world is in fact contingent on the observer—that we ourselves—must feature in this picture of reality.”

“The tests of Bell’s theorem have shown us that objective reality as it has been conceived is not the true fabric of reality. The observer interacts with matter. Consciousness, the substance of the newfound reality that defines the observer, has fundamental existence. It is the quantum mind that is the basic reality.”

Having said this, Walker concludes that there is unity in nature, “all things being aspects of the mind. But now we see more of the underlying structure, of this engine that drives our struggling souls….A universe that has only matter cannot have consciousness….”

Our conscious awareness is only limited by the bounds we ourselves place. Walker: “Some have failed to see any place—any space—where God could reside, and others have failed to see where any consciousness could hide within the atoms of matter. But we have found that reality. We have found that hiding place….We have looked within to find reality.” Everyone’s Savior and Redeemer, Jesus, advised us to look within for our answers. I did and my dreams came true.

I experience similar to your hallucinations, which I accept as psychic growth. I mentally "see" connections I've never before seen. I believe you are one of a growing breed that is going to "see" far beyond the present horizon.

• bestearth May 02, 2013

The dreaded DSM, what does it stand for? Damn silly method. I have a good quote here from Jung,

"It is a fashiionable stupidity to regard what can't be explained as a fraud"

Sometimes I think we have devolved from a divine state of being rather than evolved from monkeys.Here's a quote from me,
    "The most costly thing in the universe is ignorance and the most priceless thing is it's opposite which is knowledge."

• James Davis Apr 29, 2013

Tale a look at this:

http://www.rivier.edu/faculty/pcunningham/Research/Chapter_11_Transpersonality_Disorders.pdf

• bestearth Apr 29, 2013

I think for people struggling and feeling suicidal, meditation may not be good. It depends on the person's constitutuion and temperament. When I was like this I ended up in hospital because I was getting psychically attacked by something. The psychiatrists did the only thing they know how which is drugs. The story they gave me was I had schizophrenia, it was unwise of me to tell them about some of my experiences. They made all sorts of assumptions based on their definition of what is 'acceptable'. I still have this story pinned on me but I don't go to them anymore because in hospital I started painting again. I painted my way out of there. I found a social enterprise and continued painting. For me it was better than meditation because it produces something material which gives a sense of accomplishement and also a record of your current process, psychic impressions made into symbol and pattern. Better than therapists. I sold my first paintings shortly after.

I also found a way to taper off the medications using a protocol I researched and tried. I tapered very slowly over a 6 month period with a supplement protocol. This provides some physical support while I sorted out my attitude toward life which is the spiritual part. The doctors are well meaning but they understand neither what causes illness or what causes health. They not only do not know that a person has a spirit and they think that nutrition is not important, so they address neither element of the human-the body, or the being-the spirit. They would see improvements if they forced the patients to take supplements as well. Many of the patients had shocking diets and they said nothing about it and did nothing about it. Many of the patients had no code for living. Their parents did not instill it in them and the rest of society also failed to instill it.

I read some philosophy books which taught me to ask a question to myself. ' what are my highest values?' because your authentic self is defined by your highest vaules if you can explicitly state them, well, it helped to know and it pointed me back to myself. I still don't know exactly what I'm doing here on this planet but I feel like I should just do my best and learn about the things that are interesting to my mind. I think about the nature of creation, like that comment above about the supreme. I think most are all looking for something to admire and respect and something to help us focus on virtue. Something heroic maybe. Something inspiring that gives life meaning and makes us feel worthwhile. Maybe the universe is neutral and is waiting for a human mind to come along and give it meaning and then it comes alive.

• Jeanine Broderick Jan 24, 2013

I have many friends who have similar experiences and it is not uncommon for me to experience some of them as well--especially seeing from my peripheral vision. My children have been away at college and my eldest daught has a life size doll she made of Victor Hugo upstairs and sometimes I will text her and tell her to tell him to go back to bed (even though she is away at college) because it sounds like he is moving around up there. I don't think he really is but I also know that consciousnesses exist all around us and I don't know if they sometimes become more solid than at other times and make the noises.

Like you they do not frighten me.

What you did not say was whether you were doing any deliberate work to become enlightened or if other changes were happening in your life.

I have been and see correlations between changing my vibration and these experiences. I have had a clairaudient experience as well.

What I would not do is tell a western trained physician about these experiences.

I do have a good friend who is both Eastern and Western trained, a M.D. and she and I have discussions but she also communicates with non-physical entities so she is not going to give me pills or hospitalize me for being open about such experiences.

The wisest people in my circle are all able to communicate with non-physical entities in some way, shape or form.

I've had discussions with some of the more intuitive among my friends and those raised in an environment that was supportive of their gifts have told me that they have met others with gifts who were labeled and had negative attention from their mis-understood gifts. What that does is tune them to negative energy where the voices then match their new point of attraction and are not friendly. Which worsens the labels -- creating a downward spiral.

♡ Jeanine

• Anonymous Icon

drichardson Dec 19, 2012

Radical Shrink? I guess. I worked in mental health for many years, pre and post DSM. I had the good fortune to be educated during the 60's when we were cautioned about the potential constraints upon our own thinking when we indulged in 'diagnosis'. My 2nd mentor suggested to me that rather than the content of any remarks I might make, it was quite possible that it was the love and respect with which I worked that did the real 'work'.
    Robert Whitaker (Mad in America), Peter Breggin MD (Your Drug May be Your Problem) and Grace Jackson, MD (Rethinking Psychiatry) have each published useful books re the problems that haunt psychiatry.
    I have worked with folks whose difficulties were characterized as 'psychosis'. One thing I did note and to some degree it's a problem for all of us. It is, 'from where does our experience really come?' Are we tuning into a larger consciousness some of the time? All of the time? Do we know the difference? I am assuming that there is a difference as we each go about the business of living our temporarily individualized lives.
    What I do know from personal and professional experience is that sometimes our processing of the 'data/experience' can be overwhelmed and then we do indeed have a problem. As you read this please join me as I wish Maggie well.

• telephoenician Sep 26, 2012

Yes, Dusty. It'd be nice to hear from Maggie and let us know how she's doing.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Sep 25, 2012

Its been over a year and Maggie has not commented.

• telephoenician Sep 22, 2012

I would suggest checking out what kind of automobile the good doctor is driving before you waste your money and time, dear Maggie. Despite some of the discouraging comments I've read here, you are most certainly smart enough to manage your own affairs and to seek help form wherever you see fit.

BTW - I don't believe in lawyers either, and I don't mind telling a few of you where you can stick your supoenas. Besides, I only possess spiritual currency so it wouldn't be worth your while (ie: $$$$$$$, I don't have any).

The fact is, for many thousands of years people have been surviving quite well without this pharmaceutical garbage that's only been around for a few decades. Prior to that, they'd've burned you as a heretic.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction May 21, 2012

Some of you will have heard of the book by Robert Whitaker, Anatomy of an Epidemic. In this book, Whitaker provides convincing evidence that many of the present illnesses labelled by categories in the Psychiatrist's Bible, The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual(DSM) IV (soon to be V), are actually instances of an overwhelming and possibly incurable disorder I will call Polypharmacy Psychiatric Drug Disorder (PPDD). In short, long-term treatment by psychiatric drugs, whether they be stimulants, tranquilisers, antipsychotics or antidepressants, will over time retune the relevant neurotransmitter system so that the affected system becomes increasingly more sensitive to the neurotransmitter

• KYRANI Jan 16, 2012

There is no such thing as mental illness, psychosis or anything else. It is all about toxic relationship and the way an unsuspecting person will react. You can certainly do something about it and without drugs once you know what it's about. You are welcomed to visit my blog at http://kyrani99.wordpress.com/ where I am discussing these matters in some detail.

• Anonymous Icon

Manawa Jan 15, 2012

Hi Maggie, I notice your post is a few months old and I hope things are working out for you ok. I guess I have chosen to join this discussion to share a similar experience, I have no idea whether you are suffering psychosis nor am I qualified to say. A couple of years ago I found myself in a highly stressful situation involving my children - where by I was worried beyond belief. Similar things occurred to me. I would be woken by my Mother calling my name (she isn't deceased), footsteps running up and down my hallway, also on the roof at night, security screen door been violently shaken at night (I live rurally no neighbors) and things moving in the corner of my eye. The weird thing is......other people I live with heard the same things and had their own experiences. A paranormal investigator suggested my levels of stress may have been providing energy for an entity. Once I knew my children we're safe it all stopped immediately.
    Whether it was because I consciously took on board that i am responsible for these happenings that it stopped or the the relief that my children were ok and I stopped producing the energy - I really don't know.
    I don't consider this an issue personally, especially to the point where I'd seek medical advice - it has made me more aware about dealing with my stress and not letting things build up. This seems to work for me.
    Take care, Manawa

• capt_infinity Oct 04, 2011

What concerns me right now is we are not hearing from Maggie Please let us know how things are going..

• F_Alexander Oct 03, 2011

Boy am I glad to see someone here with your expertise Sunshadow, not to mention your ability to communicate clearly and fully.

• Sunshadow Oct 03, 2011

Actually, in cases where someone is genuinely psychotic, it is counterproductive to engage in visualizations and meditations sometimes, and I see that some people have just recommended that to her.

The main thing is, it's really impossible to know if someone is psychotic based on as little info as we have here, and even well meaning advice could be harmful. That's why a lay person cannot read the DSM-IV, for example, and accurately self-diagnose--not to say that you can't read it and get an idea that something might apply to you. We need someone trained in diseases of the mind and brain to evaluate us if we think something is really wrong or unusual with our experiences.

That said, psychiatrists are not always 100% right any more than any other MD is, or anymore than any alternative medicine/healer may be. Thorough assessment is in order. Maggie is correct to wonder if her doubting is part of the psychosis. It may be, or it may not be. She sounds rational and focused and her verbal presentation does not seem problematic, but then, if she's taking medication that is helping her condition, that may be why.

• Fallensoul Oct 03, 2011

Well I must humbly apologize if Maggie or others believe I was diagnosing her condition. I rather suggested she try other opinions and suggested Mantra meditation which is universal to everyone and in no way bad for her. It's a spiritual practice that is acts independently of the material condition of the body and mind. Sorry if that was misunderstood.

• Sunshadow Oct 03, 2011

I agree with Saoirse. It's not possible to diagnose with as little information as Maggie has been able to provide in this online forum. But I understand her questioning, so I'd like to offer her a little input.

My background is social work. I'm a licensed mental health professional and have worked in mental health for 15 years, both inpatient psych, and in a large non-profit community mental health center. Also, I have a love and appreciation for non-traditional healing practices, and pagan spiritual beliefs. So, I figure I've got a reasonably balanced perspective to offer you.

Maggie: you said that the experiences you have had are both auditory and visual, correct? If I were screening you, I'd be interestsed to know at what age you began to have the experiences; were you using any kind of drugs at that point in your life--& that includes both prescription, over the counter, and street drugs; is there any family history of psychosis or thought disorder in your family; have you had a thorough medical examination to rule out any medical causes for the symptoms; what is your history of emotional and physical trauma; have you been exploring alternative forms of consciousness such as astral projection, etc.

You said that none of the experiences were frightening to you. So, how did you wind up before a psychiatrist? Something prompted you to seek medical attention...was it you, or loved ones, who made this happen? I'd want to know more about that. At the time that you were experiencing the symptoms, did you also have any changes in your mood...from a normal mood to a depressed or highly elevate mood, or vice versa? Also, did you have these visual and auditory experiences only while in your own home? Or did you have them in other places too? Do you have them only when you are alone, or do you have them while others are around you? And did you ever confuse them for what most people would call "reality", meaning, a voice or an image that is clearly identifiable to a person or animal in your environment? Have the symptoms abated since taking medication?

Those are a few of the questions I'd ask someone I was assessing before I would even attempt to suggest a possible diagnosis.

I don't know if you have a true psychosis, or not, or if it's due to a natural chemical imbalance in your brain, or an artifically induced one, or trauma induced by history....or if you are having an awakening of extrasensory perception, for example. Too much unknown yet to hazard any suggestion in a responsible way.

Know this, though. It's perfectly normal for people to question their diagnosis. Just be sure that you are careful about what advice you choose to follow...and why you're choosing it. Sometimes we hear what we want to hear, not what we need to hear. Your MD might be wrong, but then again, s/he might be right. Proceed with caution if you're thinking of discontinuing your medication.

• F_Alexander Oct 02, 2011

Actually I think should echo that observation that we should feel quite right in asking for some more details when someone wants advice of this nature. And if you are still following this thread Maggie, then don't be shy about providing any other little peripheral details. Particularly, did your therapist believe that your experiences were decreasing your ability to function in either public or private contexts?
    It sounds like you needn't worry from what you've said so far, because in psychopathology at the moment most sensory experiences outside the normal range are considered as "illness" (even though many are actually a sign or being further ahead of your fellow humans is some respects).

I have friends who have been put on inhibitory medications despite the fact that they were perfectly sane and functional people, and one time the prescription came at the behest of a Christian mother who didn't approve of her child's abilities. Many emerging next level functions of the brain are no doubt seen as a "chemical imbalance," but as psychology continues to shift from a "normative development" model to a "positive development" model, the experiences of people like yourself will be approached differently.

• Fallensoul Sep 28, 2011

>I'll probably get eaten alive for this
    Nah, I'm vegetarian. :)

• Fallensoul Sep 28, 2011

Saoirse: Thanks for the comment. Maggie's explained her condition and symptoms quite clearly, just as she would if she were sitting at a doctors office, so to say just from one post one cannot understand her condition is not entirely true. I simply suggested that she find some professional in other lines of treatment to take their opinions and try their treatments to see what helps. It's not a question of bashing medical establishment for the sake of it, its almost common knowledge to get a second opinion. How many times have we seen one doctor say one thing and the next doctor gives a completely opposite diagnosis. Still the alopathy opinion that she has been given may not be the best since western medical sciences arent yet able to accept a spiritual realty, or even just a subtle material reality, of which the mind (and illnesses of the mind) are a part of. According to current western sciences, there is only the gross physical platform (1) -- whereas Ayurveda, for example, treats diseases with an appreciation of these other subtle sheaths covering the conscious spiritual self:

1 annamaya-kosha : physical
    2 pranamaya- kosha : energy
    3 manomaya- kosha : mental
    4 vijñanamaya- kosha: wisdom/realization
    5 anandamaya- kosha : bliss in love for God

I'm sure our ION'ers can attent to various alternative healings having good effect where alopathy has failed to provide satisfying results.

But apart from trying to treat this particular problem which is really just a symptom of the universal issue of suffering. According to Vedic knowledge, this world we're living in, is a place of suffering, and we're not meant to be under these sufferings, but we're accepting this position due to ignorance of our spiritual self. We're thinking I'm just this temporary body and this is it. So the solution to this problem of suffering is to return to our spiritual identity and to do that the recommendation is maha-mantra meditation or chanting God's names. I'm not sure which meditation you are referring to that is harmful, but the meditation im referring to is not just for Maggie, it's universal and beneficial for all of us. Spiritual sound vibration has a direct effect of cleansing the consciousness and once the consciousness is purified then one qualifies to return back to the spiritual realm at the end of this life. Otherwise one continues to suffer here in its unlimited variety, like stress and nightmares.

• Saoirse Sep 27, 2011

I'll probably get eaten alive for this, but does it not seem a little dangerous to be diagnosing someone based on a single post on a web forum? I get that it's a great opportunity to bash the medical "establishment," but there's no way to know from one forum post what the poster's medical condition might be, and there's also no way for her to know whether the people here are in any way qualified to diagnose her issues. Most of the advice is probably not harmful, but. for example, if the poster is having dissociative episodes, meditation can actually make it worse. Providing emotional support is great. I'm just not sure that we're really in a position to determine whether the poster does or does not have a chemical imbalance that needs to be addressed. So... I'm going to suggest that maybe a little caution is in order as far as dispensing medical advice?

• Anonymous Icon

eyesus Sep 26, 2011

Hi Maggie,

Our Ions group in St. Louis is going to watch a movie called Wake Up. I have watched a portion of it online. It is available to watch instantly if you have access to a computer or if it agrees with your computer. You can also purchase the dvd online. It is about a young man with similar experiences to yours only his are much more pronounced. The documentary is his journey of trying to "understand" his condition. It is very compelling. There is apparently a thought about being stuck between two dimensions.

• F_Alexander Sep 24, 2011

Wow, some good advice so far :-) You aren't "psychotic" at all, as that denotes someone who can't cope with the experiences you describe. If you aren't afraid of such "quantum phenomena" and the like, than I'd say you probably have an above-average degree of mental stability, or in other words your body is handling incoming stimuli correctly, efficiently, and maintaining homeostasis.
    I have known a couple of friends with circumstances similar to yours, one who further developed their capacity and another who simply lived with it as it was and didn't choose to evolve it further. Both are living perfectly stable lives, and each had their own little ways of "staying grounded," whether meditating on becoming wiser and more in-tune with life, or by simply enjoying the company of upbeat friends. These are the kinds of practices that even people without psychic development use to "feel more grounded," and while I think you will be fine and healthy either way, they usually make day-to-day life go even more smoothly.

Peace sister ;-)

• Fallensoul Aug 07, 2011

Dear Maggie. There are few alternatives to try and I would encourage you to do so -- certainly doesnt seem like you're crazy at all. Integrative health treatment is often better than a single line of treatment -- particularly allopathy whose action is best suited on the gross bodily platform. It's unfortunate but sometimes the medication rather than curing, makes one feel more sick and depressed.

One option is that there are people who are able to detect if there is some external influences affecting you. This is a serious consideration and I would have some local demonologist or healer come over to your house and check. Other healers can detect your prana and aura and find any misbalances in them and help from that angle. Ayurvedic doctors can help balance your doshas. All these may help, you have to try out various things and see what works to solve the misbalance. Others on this forum are more knowledge in these areas and may be able to give you more detail.

But apart from these various things you may try, its important to understand the bigger picture. The reality is that we enter this lifetime with a stock of karmic results from our own past activities from past lives that are due to us and this manifests itself in a certain amount of happiness and distress in this life. In one sense we have little control over this -- try as we might to avoid or adjust our sufferings in various ways, it manifests itself somehow or another in various physical or mental trauma. We have to tolerate.

What's more important then is to understand that we are spiritual beings made up of consciousness and have little to do with the sufferings and joys on this material platform, but because we identify very strongly with this body and this material environment, we are affected by the various karmic reactions that in our own ignorance, we ourselves incur. It's this misidentification that is the root of our ignorance and suffering.

Through spiritual knowledge, practice and introspection we can come to understand that we have a spiritual body and mind that is separate from the material body and mind. We can see how these various things are coming into our consciousness and we have nothing to do with it. We are simply observing it.

It would extremely beneficial for you to start meditation. The best type of meditation is that focused on the Supreme, because the Supreme Source is a person who is fully pure and by association with Him through meditation, we also become pure/spiritual and this clears away all our karma and reconnects us -- balances us. The most effective way to connect in meditation is to chant God's names. The fact is we do need shelter in this dark universe and if we cry out to the Source for it -- help, light and love will certainly come.

By this process of self-realization or bhakti-yoga we can come to purify our consciousness and cure our spiritual psychosis that all of us are suffering from. I hope something helps.

• Gretchen Dreisbach Aug 07, 2011

Dear Maggie, with great love I would encourage you to explore the 'something else'...what if you follow your intuition with the understanding that there is nothing to be afraid of? Maybe you are multidimensional, maybe you are actually mentally 'well'! The veils are coming down and we 3D humans will have much greater access to the other dimensions. Fear keeps us grounded in this plane but LOVE will help you to raise your vibration and join and see clearly what exists in the outer layers! There are posts on this website of many that are awakening and also of the new children who have never been asleep, (unfortunately they are often medicated as well...). It is your birthright to live consciously as your authentic self!
    love to you on your journey from Gretchen Grace!

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS