Thank you for your interest in working with the Institute of Noetic Sciences
Position(s) currently open:
Director: EarthRise Transformative Learning and Retreat Center
The Institute of Noetic Sciences is a 41 year-old non-profit organization that is dedicated to fostering a transformation in consciousness through science, education, and community. We conduct, advance, and broaden the science of what connects us, reaching new understandings about the nature of reality and our extended capacities. From what we learn, we create real-world tools that empower people to apply conscious awareness in their personal lives, and in healthcare, education, and business. We host a vibrant community of explorers and change agents who are working together to make a difference in the world. We also own and operate the majestic 194-acre EarthRise Transformative Learning and Retreat Center in Petaluma, CA, where over 5000 guests each year engage in transformational programs and practices that foster self-reflection and personal growth. To learn more about IONS visit noetic.org.
We are seeking a dynamic, dedicated, and business-savvy individual who brings together:
- passion for the vision and mission of the Institute of Noetic Sciences
- extraordinary leadership and relationship skills
- advanced expertise in business operations and management
- hospitality experience, preferably in a retreat or conference center setting
- experience with campus major capital improvements and/or facilities remodel desirable.
The Director will work closely with the President/CEO and the management team of IONS to advance the mission of IONS, and optimize the business strategy and property model for EarthRise Transformative Learning and Retreat Center. The Retreat Center currently achieves ~$2.5M in annual revenue at ~45% occupancy. Our goal is to increase occupancy and programming in the coming years, in addition to engaging in substantial capital improvements over the next decade. This is a unique opportunity to take the helm of a thriving retreat center that holds the potential for considerable advancement in the future.
The Director will be responsible for the overall administration and operation of the retreat center property including events, lodging, meals, programming and grounds/facilities including:
- Overall financial planning of the retreat center including budgeting and monthly/annual reporting
- Driving top line revenue growth through programming, partnerships, and other creative solutions and strategies which increase sales and occupancy.
- Participating in the creation and implementation of a master plan for the campus, including capital improvements for deferred maintenance, remodeled and newly constructed lodging and classrooms, and a new science and visitor center.
- Facilitating direct marketing efforts, public relations, advertising, and on-going public awareness of EarthRise Transformative Learning and Retreat Center.
- Being a member of the Institute-wide management team, and collaborating with the President/CEO, CFO, and CIO in essential organizational development (human resources, administration, and organizational planning).
- Developing staff with a commitment toward personal and professional growth.
- Creating a sense of teamwork, pride and high level of commitment toward professionalism and excellence amongst staff. Leads by example.
- Creating a strong safety culture for employees and guest, that is also committed to a deep level of comfort, care and customer satisfaction.
This is a full-time, salaried, staff position. Work will occur in Petaluma, CA, about 45 minutes north of San Francisco.
Progressive work in a professional environment with several years of managerial experience. Academic training in the area of hospitality is also highly valued.
- Experience in management of a retreat center, resort property or educational campus.
- Proven track record in financial planning, management of resources, strategic purchasing, cost/benefit decision-making, and budget and schedule, preferably within a nonprofit organization.
- Previous experience hiring, training, and motivating and inspiring staff.
- Skilled in the basic computer software necessary to manage the position (Microsoft Office, Email, social media, basic audio/visual).
- Experience in all aspects and phases of capital improvements, from renovation to new project planning, a plus.
- A curious and keen analytical mind adept at creative problem solving with others.
- Exceptional communicator and collaborator; strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent time management and leadership skills with ability to schedule projects and help staff manage their time effectively.
- Passionate about the mission and vision of IONS.
- Experience in cultivating supportive and healthy professional relationships.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in an organizational setting.
- Action oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and possesses an innovative and creative approach to business planning and management.
- Awesome under pressure and likes a high paced environment.
Minimum Educational Level
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Advanced courses, professional training, or expertise in management and/or hospitality, and/or nonprofit management preferred.
Please submit a resume, salary requirements, and a cover letter that describes your interest in working at IONS and your experience in retreat center management. Email your resume to jobs(at)noetic.org. No phone calls, please. Please put “Retreat Center Director” in the subject line of your email.