Thank you for your interest in working with the Institute of Noetic Sciences
Position(s) currently open:
Creative Hospitality Director
Director – Retreat Center Development and Operations
For EarthRise Transformative Learning and Retreat Center
Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS)
The Institute of Noetic Sciences is a 41 year-old non-profit organization that is dedicated to fostering a transformation in consciousness through science, education, and community. We conduct, advance, and broaden the science of what connects us, reaching new understandings about the nature of reality and our extended capacities. From what we learn, we create real-world tools that empower people to apply conscious awareness in their personal lives, and in healthcare, education, and business. We host a vibrant community of explorers and change agents who are working together to make a difference in the world. We also own and operate the majestic 194-acre EarthRise Transformative Learning and Retreat Center in Northern Marin County where guests engage in transformational programs and practices that foster self-reflection and personal growth. To learn more about IONS visit www.noetic.org.
We are seeking a dynamic, dedicated, and business-savvy individual who brings together:
- passion for the vision and mission of the Institute of Noetic Sciences
- extraordinary relationship skills
- advanced expertise in business operations and management
- hospitality experience
The Director will work closely with the President/CEO and the management team of IONS to advance the mission and optimize the business strategy and property model. EarthRise Transformative Learning and Retreat Center currently achieves ~$2.5M in annual revenue at ~45% occupancy. The Director will be responsible for:
- Contributing to and at times leading the management team regarding the retreat center/campus business strategies, and collaborating with the President/CEO, CFO, and CIO in essential organizational development (human resources, administration, and organizational planning).
- Lead the overall administration and operation of the retreat center property including events, lodging, meals, programming and grounds/facilities.
- Leading master planning discussions and strategies, including capital improvements for deferred maintenance, new construction and remodeled lodging, classrooms, and science center .
- Direct marketing efforts, public relations, advertising, and on-going public awareness of EarthRise Transformative Learning and Retreat Center .
- Build and maintaining strong client relationships in the community with vendors, consultants and travel, user groups.
- Create strategies and tactics to increase sales and occupancy.
- Create an inspiring team culture and lead an organizational energy aligned with the vision and mission (sales, programs, events, maintenance/groundskeeping, kitchen, housekeeping, bookstore, etc.).
- Create a sense of pride and high level of commitment toward professionalism and excellence.
- Collaborate with staff on finding effective and efficient strategies to reduce costs, waste and other unnecessary organizational costs.
- Develop people with a commitment toward personal and professional growth.
- Create a strong safety culture for employees and guest, that is also committed to a deep level of comfort, care and customer satisfaction.
- Tenacious about driving top line revenue growth through programming, partnerships, and other creative solutions.
This is a full-time, salaried, staff position. Work will occur in Petaluma, CA, about 45 minutes north of San Francisco.
Progressive work in a professional environment with several years of professional experience. Academic training in the area of hospitality is also highly valued.
- Experience in management of a retreat center, resort property or educational campus.
- Experience in all aspects and phases of capital improvements from renovation to new project planning.
- Proven track record in financial planning, management of resources, strategic purchasing, cost/benefit decision-making, and budget and schedule.
- Experience in managing facilities operations and maintenance (including vendor contract negotiations, risks, etc.).
- Prior professional experience hiring, training, and motivating and inspiring staff; and in contracting and working with vendors and consultants.
- Exceptional experience in cultivating supportive and healthy professional relationships.
- Success in time management.
- A positive spirit.
- Skilled in the basic computer software necessary to manage the position (Microsoft Office, Email, social media, basic audio/visual).
- Experience in nonprofit management and business administration is a benefit to understand mission driven decisions.
- Deeply curious.
- Keen analytical mind with creative problem solving with others.
- Exceptional communicator and collaborator.
- Excellent time management and leadership skills with ability to schedule projects and help staff manage their time effectively.
- Passionate about the mission and vision of IONS
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in an organizational setting.
- Spark, imagination, creativity.
- Awesome under pressure and likes a high paced environment.
- Entrepreneurial sprit, self starter.
Minimum Educational Level
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Advanced courses, professional training, or expertise in management and/or hospitality, and/or nonprofit management preferred.
Please submit a resume, salary requirements, and a cover letter that describes your interest in working at IONS and your experience in retreat center management. Email your resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Please put “Retreat Center Director” in the subject line of your email.
EarthRise at IONS is a 64-room transformative learning center hosting educational programs and workshops that focus on health, personal growth, science, and spirituality. The campus is located approximately 26 miles north of San Francisco at the border of beautiful Marin and Sonoma Counties, just off of Highway 101, and 10 minutes from downtown Petaluma, at 101 San Antonio Road, Petaluma, CA. EarthRise is owned by the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS), a non-profit research organization founded in 1973.
Working at EarthRise is a fast-paced environment full of fun, hardworking teams. We are in the most creative field in the universe and enjoy a culture of mindfulness and exploration. Please consider joining our team.
We are currently searching for a Reception/Bookstore Clerk to join our team. This is an hourly part time position. Available work days are Monday – Sunday, typical hours are 11am – 7:30pm. This position reports to the Bookstore Manager. The bookstore at EarthRise Transformative Center sells books, gifts, toiletries, food items & beverages, including alcoholic beverages.
The Key Responsibilities
- 1. Retail Sales:
- The ability to operate a computer and cash register and understand how to make change.
- At the end of the day count the Cash Drawer, following accounting procedures.
- Be able to work under pressure when the store is busy. Be able to make fast accurate transactions and decisions.
- Keep the store neat and clean and well stocked with items from storage.
- Notifying the bookstore manager of any problems that need to be taken care of.
- 2. Reception:
- Be a spokesperson for IONS sharing our mission with visitors from all over the world.
- Check in Guests and give orientations
- Answer Main Line and transfer calls
- Answer inquiry emails for Personal Retreats
- Be alert and friendly while guests are in the store.
Eligible candidates must be 18 years or older; have excellent listening, verbal and written communications skills. This position uses computers frequently including Google Apps; Microsoft Word, Excel and database event system. This position demands that the candidate be extremely accurate, detail oriented, dependable and proactive. A positive can-do attitude and flexibility is required. An interest in transformative education is desirable. This is an entry level position that requires a high school diploma or GED.
Required to sit for long periods of time using computer; occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds; work environment consists of beautiful vistas in a rural environment. Must be able to walk distances of .25 mile at a time – this is the distance of our offices and the employee parking area.
This position may be eligible to receive benefits. We offer many outstanding benefits such as vacation, sick leave, medical, dental, vision, 401(k), plus meals when learning center is active.
To apply for this entry level hourly position
- Email your resume and wage requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must reference in the subject line: Bookstore Opening at EarthRise